PDA

View Full Version : Paying for a child's sick day

Marie
05-01-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm looking for some advice on how to speak to a parent regarding illness. A few months ago the little boy I care for came down with the chicken pox. My kids had already been exposed so I guess mom thought she would still send him. She asked me if I wanted her to keep her son home and I said yes. When payday came around she asked if she owed me for the days her son was home with the chicken pox. I told her yes and said she wasn't sure if she did because I made the decision for her to keep him home. Now yesterday same scenario. Her son came with a leaky eye that throughout the day got yuckier and was clearly pink eye. She picked him up and asked if I wanted her to keep him home today and I said yes. Now I know she will ask me about today and if she owes. It wasn't confirmed pink eye but was pretty obvious from having dealt with it before that it was. How would you go about telling her? It is written in my contract that I don't take kids with pink eye but I hatealways having to bring it up. Our families have gotten somewhat close and I hate bringing up the contract because it makes it seem so ''cold'' for a lack of a better word.

Play and Learn
05-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Again, YOUR BUSINESS, YOUR RULES. If you don't use your backbone now, they'll walk all over you later, and it will get worse.

Bring out the contract that they signed. Period. Just look at her and don't say anything, but, you signed the contract, and this is what it states.

IF parents can't respect me and my daycare, then they get a strike. 3-strikes and they're gone here.

apples and bananas
05-01-2012, 11:36 AM
It almost sounds like a game she's playing, If she shows up next week and the boy is coughing with a fever is she going to say "do you want me to keep him home? " A sick day is a sick day. If your child has something that is "catchy" they are to keep them home. I'm sure your contract doesn't say they have to pay for all days they remove their child from care, but if you refuse them based on sickness you don't have to pay. Wow!

I appreciate the issue with bringing up the contract. That can be tough. At the end of the day, they knew what they were signing up for. Maybe instead of just pulling out the contract you can mention that you have these "policies" "rules" for the benefit of all the children.

Good luck, I'm not much help as I don't charge for kids sick days. I know, I'm getting crazy looks from everyone reading this. I have my reasons though. :)

Sandbox Sally
05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Yeah I don't buy into that either. Of course you keep your sick kid home, especially if they have a freakin communicable disease. This is common sense. I am guessing that this woman is seeing how far she can push you. Do you have a sick policy in your contract? If not, do one up and get all parents to sign.

michellesmunchkins
05-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I have it in my contract that parents pay for sick days and I list most but not all of the sickness that they cannot come to daycare ie: pink eye, vomiting etc and that they have to be symptom free for 24 hours...now...do they listen???? nope! I have 3 here today all with green discharge from their nose (which is in my contract that they can't be here with) and fevers that the parents admit to giving advil/tylenol for. Again, a fever is another symptom that has to be 24 hours free.

I should have turned them away at the door, and I should be calling parents to come and get them, I just hate having to do it. Its a total lack of respect on the parents part...plus I know then I'll have to deal with payment issues as I have a few who refuse to pay for days that their child is not here (ie sick days and stat holidays).

Trust me, listen to the lady who posted to stand your ground now, because they quite quickly learn to walk all over you and its so hard to take the power back once you've given it to them!

Marie
05-01-2012, 12:17 PM
But what about suspected illnesses?? This boy's pink eye was not confirmed by a doctor. He had green puss coming out of both eyes. What if it turns out not to be pink eye? Would I still get paid? I'd be really surprised if it wasn't.
Yes, I definitely need to get a stronger backbone! Easier said than done though for me. I really wish it wasn't like that.

Sandbox Sally
05-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Um YES. Green pus? Definitely an infection, and who's to know if it's contagious or not? She needs a doctor's note. I can't believe she'd even bring him like that.

Marie
05-01-2012, 12:35 PM
It wasn't at that point when he came but throughout the day got worse. She said it was allergies. I don't think so! I know what I will have to say should she bring it up...I just hate it when parents make me whip out the contract.

Crayola kiddies
05-01-2012, 12:48 PM
In my contract it states any discharge coming from the eyes or ears is not permitted in daycare and yes they have to be symptom free for a min 24 hours before returning to care. I am more lax on the green runny noses as most of my kids would be absent 75% of the time. I have never seen so much green snot in my life as I get from a couple of my dcks. Fortunately all my parents are good about keeping their kids home when they are really bad. I also get paid up front for the following two weeks so not paying is not an option.

Inspired by Reggio
05-01-2012, 01:09 PM
This is why it pays to be paid in advance - excuse the pun ;) If she had paid in advance for the days booked and did not use them for whatever reason - too bad she had committed to them.

My contracts state:

Fees are due regardless of absenteeism / illness, inclement weather / acts of Nature beyond our control, when program is closed for public holidays or child is absent due to family vacation time. Unfortunately, part time families cannot make up absent days on another day. Fees are to be paid in advance of care in the amount according to your payment schedule.

And under preventing illness ...

Children may not participate, and will be required to be temporarily removed, if any of the following diseases and/or symptoms develop:

Vomiting**
Diarrhea**
Fever over 101 F
Unexplained rash specially accompanied by fever.
Suspected communicable disease until seen by a Dr. and confirmed that further exclusion is not required.

so the fact that she choose NOT to have his illness confirmed by the Dr in order to return 'earlier' is HER CHOICE ... she does not get to than turn around and say 'well you made him stay home so I am not paying'.

Mamma_Mia
05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Yup sounds like she waiting for you to "feel guilty" and say no one of the times she asks since she asks everytime. I mean it's pretty easy....

If your kid is sick they stay home or go home. Whether they stayed home, here for 2min or 6hrs the day needs to be paid in full.

End of story.

And if....IF it isn't pink eye then it IS another type of infection = sick child = stay/go home and yes pay me.

Littledragon
05-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Here's my solution. Parents pay PRIOR to care. My parents pay biweekly for the FOLLOWING two weeks. No refunds. Simple. If they don't pay, they don't get care.

Sandbox Sally
05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Whether or not they pay prior, they can still short you for the next week as a way to "make up" for the missed day. It's happened to me.

Dayhome Mamma
05-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Just tell her the standards everywhere is that if the child is sick to a certain degree, they are expected to stay home....and that this is usually understood by the parents without question who are also often considerate in regards to the other childre. In a centre they would look at her like she was crazy if she asked that question. And yes, of course she would have to still pay. My suggestion is don't charge per day....set monthly days and let clients know that these are the amount of days they are expected to pay for regardless of child's absence. Remind them that its like paying for rent. Just because you decide to go camping for 3 weeks doesn't mean you just get to pay for only 1 weeks rent. Its just as ridiculous for her to expect that...although i do understand where and why she is asking....she is treating you casually as someone who just babysits her kid. I say find a replacement. and write a contract to include that standard/expectation.

Momof4
05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
I like to keep things simple - fees are due 49 weeks a year in full (less my 3 weeks unpaid vacations) no matter if there are stat days, sick or missed days for any reason.

Here's a phrase for you that works for me: 'According to our contract......blah, blah' They signed it and agreed to it, PERIOD! Be strong and confident and don't give in to any pressure. You are running a business. The other ladies game you some great scenarios, if you miss a week at the gym you still have to pay for your membership is one that I've heard before.

mom-in-alberta
05-02-2012, 01:14 AM
She's trying to pawn it off on you.... "Oh, YOU sent him home, not me." But how does that matter?? A sick kid is a sick kid, no?
I empathize with parents when the child gets sick. It can be a huge pain for them, as someone then has to stay home with the kid, etc. But that is why at the initial interview we discuss the protocol for when kids are sick. I emphasize that they MUST have a backup plan. They sign the contract as such. Then when this comes up, I can point back to those paragraphs.
I actually structure my fees SLIGHTLY lower than I could charge, to make up for the fact that I get paid holidays etc, and that parents pay for their absences as well. I explain that to parents, too.

Marie
05-02-2012, 08:07 AM
I empathize with parents when the child gets sick. It can be a huge pain for them, as someone then has to stay home with the kid, etc.

Mom is on mat leave so that is not an issue. We'll see what she says as today is her payday. I hope she remembers from the last time. It's just annoying when you constantly have to remind parents of the contract but I guess they're like kids in the sense that they'll always try to see what they can get away with. :)

Crayola kiddies
05-02-2012, 10:50 AM
You just hit the nail on the head Marie

samantha3
05-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I hate to say it but she is trying to walk all over you for something she clearly signed up for. If she does not pay you today for all of the days (including the ill days) you should terminate her and start fresh with a new family. What else will she try and get away with in the future?

Good luck!! :)

Marie
05-02-2012, 11:47 AM
She did end up paying for all days, no questions or comments. :)

Inspired by Reggio
05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Whoot Whoot - gotta love when we worry for nothing - glad she learned from the last encounter and chose to follow the contract ;)

samantha3
05-02-2012, 02:16 PM
That is awesome news! Way to go :) !!!

Fearlessbaby
06-19-2014, 08:08 AM
I've had a breakout of Hand, Food and Mouth and really hope the parents who've taken 4 days off don't hassle me about refunds. They all pay in advance.

bright sparks
06-19-2014, 09:30 AM
I've had a breakout of Hand, Food and Mouth and really hope the parents who've taken 4 days off don't hassle me about refunds. They all pay in advance.

Well if you have closed your daycare then they are entitled to a refund but if they have chosen to keep their child home then no refund. That being said, I am not familiar with H,F &M so I don't know how contagious it is, if you stayed open even though it was in the best interest and safety of everyone to close, then maybe the right thing to do would be to meet halfway and offer a 50% refund.

mickyc
06-19-2014, 09:52 AM
No refund here. I have had children away for a week at a time and they still all paid me. I am open so therefore being paid. If I close due to illness then that is different.

madmom
06-19-2014, 01:15 PM
At interview I tell parent that your child's sick days must be paid. I have my responsibilities financially and still must make mortgage payments whether you come or not. Most people understand and those that don't can find care elsewhere and take advantage of someone else