PDA

View Full Version : Having a difficult time finding clients

Littledragon
05-01-2012, 08:28 PM
So, it seems gathering clients is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be! I have two, but I am still looking for one or two more. I have faith that it will all come together when I need it to, but I am starting to panic a little bit because I am seriously considering replacing one of the families I currently have. I have an ad on kijiji, on here, usedottawa, facebook, craigs list. I have a pretty good ad I think, I think it's just really slow here. Even the "wanted: looking for childcare" are minimal.
I was going through the ads on kijiji this morning and I noticed a woman had added a free family photo shoot for new families. It got me thinking. What do you all think about offering first week free? I would obviously ensure they've signed the contract first and given a deposit before I actually give them the first week for free.

What do you think?

Crayola kiddies
05-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Ok I write a big long post and it disappeared ..... The short version is it took me one year to finally fill up .... So it will happen you just have to be patient and the right families will come along ..... Good luck

Crayola kiddies
05-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Oh and no don't give any weeks free .... That's the desperation thing again .... Next thing you know they will be short on cash and need a break and since you did it once why not again? And make sure you get paid in advance for the following two weeks of care that way you do t get stiffed.

Momof4
05-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Keep advertising and interviewing. It's hell, sheer hell and the first year is really difficult, no sugar coating! Then you get great clients and they go off to JK after a few years and it starts all over again. This is NOT an easy business but very rewarding when it goes right. Keep up the good work and be strong and confident when you talk to parents. Make them want you! Show them that they need you!

Inspired by Reggio
05-02-2012, 06:36 AM
I agree .... I would not offer 'incentives' to attract clients .... honestly there is a fine balance in childcare with picking your fees ... most clients think that childcare is 'difficult' to find so if they see a provider who is having to offer incentives, discounts, and put themselves on SALE so to speak this little flag goes up!

For MOST that little flag is RED that this does not seem right - why are they having to put themselves on 'sale' something must be 'wrong' that they cannot be full and they do not respond to the ad.

For OTHERS that little flag is GREEN and it says to them 'awesome someone who is desperate for my business - I can get SPECIAL for a reduced rate' and then sign up and are nothing but a PITA for you expecting to be able to PUSH for more and more while paying LESS AND LESS.

So which kind of client do you want to ATTRACT ... set your prices FAIR to you and VIABLE for your business and stick to that ... attract the kind of client who VALUES your program for what it is and does not think they should get a DEAL in order to sign with you!

I also agree that the first year is HARD to get full for many - parents are reluctant of the 'commitment of a newbie' which is one strike against us when we are new and then strike two is that the highest demand for children is infants and while you can often get 1-2 of those right off the bat the next clients who come looking are more and more reluctant to place their kid somewhere that already has 2-3 infants ... assuming you have on of your own there ... cause they just do not imagine how someone can 'handle' so many children that young .... however once your current crew gets a bit older near end of first year others with infants will sign on or the more you advertize the chance of finding that 'older' child might occur.

Sending you filler up vibes!

Spixie33
05-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Yikes - a week free? Don;'t do it. :no::ohmy:

A week of daycare is HARD work and you deserve to be paid for it.

Also...these are children we are talking about - not bargain shopping. I hate the parents who are only worried about the best price rather than the best care. They will not be good daycare parents to begin with and you will attract the cheap rather than the quality clients you probably want.

Keep in mind that whenever people are offering a free photo session it is because they plan to sell you lots of prints - they are not really doing anything for 'free' per se. It is just marketing :)

It would be akin to you offering a free tour through your home to potential parents:laugh:

Try adding pictures of your daycare space to your ad to attract more eyes and try to see that your two badges at the bottom have a high rating for information quality and accuracy.

Last but not least -- it takes time and hopefully if you keep trying then the right people will come. It just is not an exact science knowing when they will come.

(hugs)

sunnydays
05-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Definitely don't do it! As others have said, it is setting yourself up for problems down the road and it screams desparation! The more eager and desparate you seem, the less likely you are to get the right families in care. Good luck filling up :)

dodge__driver11
05-02-2012, 01:47 PM
no no no...I have been open since NOVEMBER hun... and I am just seeking to fill my last space now..... NO BREAKS NO FREEBIES, NOTHING. Sorry to be so black and white but daycare is a hard business and we deserve every penny. Any breaks given is a bad idea, I gave one to a family, said family has been terminated..because they wanted EVERYTHING for nothing.

I am sure you have a terrific program, do your best.

Have you considered working an evening or weekend job until you filled, I worked at home depot on the weekends, to make up for the loss, yes it was tough, but I didn't want to give up on my dream. And no its not for everyone

WAHM
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Sorry, I have no advice, but I'm in the same boat. Except, I am trying to fill 36 full time spots in a daycare centre. :blink:
As for the week free: I wouldn't offer something for free, I would offer something the other places don't. For example: Monthly progress reports, a menu that has been approved by a dietician (often colleges or university students studying nutriton will do this for free). Perhaps, a speciailized music program, reading cards....etc (you can order a lot of educational packages online) and you could call the newspaper and have them do an editorial on the new program being offered in your dayhome. Newspapers don't charge for an editorial, most of the time, it doesn't hurt to make a few phone calls to the television, radio etc....the worst they can say is 'no' if you ask for a free interview.
Good luck! Good things come to those who wait.....right? ;)

ETA: spelling.

Momof4
05-02-2012, 05:02 PM
I agree with the no, no, no, don't do it! Desperation! I admit I started out with my rates too low, then raised them slowly over a couple of years. You might want to consider starting a few dollars lower right now, then raise them at your next contract renewal date when your clients love you and trust you?

My first year was complete and total torture too but by the second year I had it all under control. This is not an easy business, it takes a ton of hard work and dedication but the more confident you are in your abilities and the more you interview the better you get at everything.

Do you know people who work at large corporations, hospitals, factories? These types of places always have internal electronic ad systems so network out to get your friends and family members to place your ad where they work if you can.

mom-in-alberta
05-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Also chiming in to say PLEASE don't offer a free week! (If you think about it, factoring for food/crafts, etc you are basically paying them!)
I would be worried about the people you will attract. The ones whose primary concern is how much you will be costing them. In the long run, you DO NOT want them!!
I like the idea of offering something a little different or unique, to get people's attention. It can be very frustrating or scary, but you will fill those spots, with the families you WANT to work with.
Fingers crossed for you!

playfelt
05-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Just realized you mentioned in your first post about using usedottawa so going to assume you are in Ottawa. Check out CCPRN www.ccprn.com and take advantage of their start up sessions and supports. What it does is show to families that you are serious and committed and that can go a long way when you are just starting out. And it will help you to realize that we were all at this stage once upon a time and that it does get better. I am in Orleans. (Ottawa - east end)

Crayola kiddies
05-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Samroo ... I'm in Ottawa too but west end near barrhaven

momof5
05-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm in Barrhaven. I know the schools around here dayhomes can advertise openings.