PDA

View Full Version : What do the children call you/your staff?

WAHM
05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
What do the children in your care call you a/o your staff?
Mrs. Last Name
Miss. First Name
First Name
Nick name
TIA!:)

Inspired by Reggio
05-02-2012, 03:49 PM
LOL - well I am sure I got called all sorts of things by STAFF behind my back when I was the boss in centre care - sometimes you have to make choices they do not like :rolleyes:

I generally preferred my first name cause I am sorta the informal type.

I have worked in lots of centres that use 'Ms. my first name' because they feel it is more professional and respectful.

I have also had centres where I ended up with a nickname cause a kid could not say my first name and it came out 'magnet' and so I was Ms Magnet for the duration at that centre :rolleyes: Also been 'Monkey' for one kid.

Errbear
05-02-2012, 04:47 PM
One calls me Erryn, the other insists on calling me Mommy...she will argue with anyone, including me, who tries to tell her otherwise...just love her to bits!

Momof4
05-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I get my first name mostly, but sometimes I'm called Mama or Grandma because my grandson was here for over 3 years and the older children fell into the habit with him and it still comes back once in a while.

Littledragon
05-02-2012, 09:10 PM
I've been wondering the same. My name is slightly difficult to say for little one who haven't yet grasped their S. Right now, both boys call me mama lol cause it's all they can say. But I wondered about implementing a nick name. But didn't want to seem pretentious :s

Sarah
05-02-2012, 09:47 PM
I get called maman! (mommy in french!) I have my 3 kids constantly calling me maman, so what can the other kids do? I keep repeating my name to them, but they wont stop calling me maman!

But they know the difference between me and their mother, because they call me "maman" and they call their mother "mommy".

Mamma_Mia
05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
sadly nothing!

dcg yells out her problem, its been tough trying to teach her proper manners!
"johnny" took my toy!
I want juice - I then ask 'what do you say?' and then I get the 'please'
I want....I want...I want
or Johnny this....johnny that

my other dcb seems to be mute except for when Barney is on tv and he yells out BARNEY or when the doorbell rings and he says DADDY....that's it. Otherwise all I get is a finger point and stare.... at everything. I'm tired of guessing because even if I did get 'it' right he doens't nod or anything.

THEN there is my DD to which I hear "mamma?" 416597851598451 times a day :D

Momof4
05-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Haha, I get 'JUICE' to which I reply 'I don't understand, please use more words to explain.' Try that! It works and you get a full sentence.

Inspired by Reggio
05-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Oh I get the accidental mom and GRANDMA from my verbal crew as well to which I always tease "GRANDMA do I look like a GRANDMA yet?' ... I better not become a grandma for another 10 years!!!!

mom-in-alberta
05-03-2012, 09:18 AM
My first name. I try to put a "Miss" in front of it, but the moms and dads all seem to just use my name, so that's what the kids use. It gets under my skin a bit, because growing up, my mother pounded into my head that you DO NOT call an adult their first name!

Bookworm
05-03-2012, 10:17 AM
None of my dck's are verbal yet, so they don't call me anything. I refer to myself by my name to them. Only my daughter is verbal, so I get mommy from her.

Emily3
05-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Hi! My kids call me by my first name! I used to teach at a Montessori preschool and they use 'miss' in front of your first name!

Sandbox Sally
05-03-2012, 11:15 AM
I am called by my first name, or by mom, mama or mommy, as most of my dck's are pretty little. :)

WAHM
05-03-2012, 12:31 PM
My first name. I try to put a "Miss" in front of it, but the moms and dads all seem to just use my name, so that's what the kids use. It gets under my skin a bit, because growing up, my mother pounded into my head that you DO NOT call an adult their first name!

I agree. I think it teaches manners and respect to use Miss, or Mrs. But I want the kids to feel comfortable and "at home". I was thinking Miss. "First Name" as last names are sometimes hard to pronounce, for kids. BUT, in my case, my last name is easier to pronounce than my first name, lol.