PDA

View Full Version : Do you provide parent handbooks?

WAHM
05-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Do you provide handbooks to your parents with all your policies? Ie. late pick-up, nut-free, accident/illness procedures etc.?
My registration form covers: cancellations, holidays, field trips and NSF payments and our discipline policy. I was going to just verbally express the others but do you think it should be in writing ... or will they even read the handbook?:blink:

TIA

sarah_sweetpea
05-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Hi,

Yes I ahave a handbook that I give to all the parents, its quite detailed and doesn't leave any room for confusion. I'd be happy to send you my handbook and you could tweak it to fit your daycare.
Let me know,
My email is sweetpea_daycare12@y ahoo.ca

Inspired by Reggio
05-03-2012, 01:44 PM
WAHM - not sure the regulations in Alberta but in Ontario our Day Nursery Act requires a 'parent handbook' and lists what it must contain - most 'exceed' that but having clear WRITTEN expectations on policies will help to keep conflict and miscommunication to a minimum in your program!

In Ontario for example every centre parent handbook I worked in roughly covered the following - I would have to double check which were 'required' and which just got added over the past 20 years as centres learned from prior conflicts what to 'explain more clearly' to future parents to avoid that ;)

Anyway the list off the top of my head ... been over 5 years since I worked in a 'centre' however my own handbook still covers most of the things I learned from over the years to avoid conflict ...

Mission Statement of the Organization
Philosophy for Curriculum / Learning
Hours of Operation and Closures
Payment policies including vacation, stat holidays, late payment of fees, NSF, over hours charges, security deposit, withdrawal from care notice clients must provide, grounds for terminating the contract etc.
Release procedures - protocols for who children will be released to other than parents
Emergency protocols - medical emergency, fire emergency, no power to the centre, weather emergency such as snow storm, tornado and so forth requiring closure or early pick ups
Immunization, Illness while at home, while in centre care and Medication policies
Nutrition philosophy / Meals / Snacks and Allergy protocols
Physical activity and Outdoor play policies including field trips and outings off site, inclement weather policies and safety practices for large motor play
Toilet training and washroom policies
Behavior and Guidance policies - behaviours that could be grounds for 'termination of service'
Staffing (training, ratios to expect and so forth)

Momof4
05-03-2012, 06:45 PM
I like things to be simple, straight forward, concise and using fewer words and I hate extra paperwork, but I have a small business with just 5 families. You will have a really large business. I have my main contract and then all the policies that I have run into over the years are attached so it is all one 9 page package. I guess I worked with the public in insurance and then at the medical lab for so many years that I believe if they are going to remember anything it had better be in plain language without loopholes and fancy wording.

mom-in-alberta
05-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Yup, sure do! It's about 8 pages long and covers every scenario I can think of, LoL.
No, seriously, I am frequently updating the handbook. When parents get their paperwork, they sign off on an attestation that they have read the handbook and understand it's guidelines. It's an extension of the contract for me.
I think you should have one, since you will be dealing with many, many parents. Easier, and you can guarantee that everyone gets the same info.

Dreamalittledream
05-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Hi,

Yes I ahave a handbook that I give to all the parents, its quite detailed and doesn't leave any room for confusion. I'd be happy to send you my handbook and you could tweak it to fit your daycare.
Let me know,
My email is sweetpea_daycare12@y ahoo.ca. I would love a copy too, to make sure I've got all my bases covered in my current one.... if you don't mind? E-mailing you now:)

bubbleguppie
05-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi,

Let me know,
My email is sweetpea_daycare12@y ahoo.ca

Hi, If you don't mind can you send me a copy too. I will also e-mail you now.

Inspired by Reggio
05-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Hey ladies with handbooks or long contracts.... when you say 8 or 9 pages ... is that double sided pages or single sided?

Just wondering how 'long' my handbook is in comparison to others?

Momof4
05-05-2012, 11:28 AM
My contract and all policies are 9 pages but only single sided. My policies are only 7 pages of that and the first two pages is the legal contract between parties and fees and closed daycare days, the 'rules' so to speak, then I go into all the things like sick policies and what is needed at daycare, etc. in the policies.

You are much fancier Reggio, with the mission statement and philosophies and I don't have all that in my contract. It's discussed at the interview and that's why they choose me or not, depending on if their childrearing philosophies match mine, so I can see why your policies are much longer.

WAHM
05-05-2012, 08:52 PM
WAHM - not sure the regulations in Alberta but in Ontario our Day Nursery Act requires a 'parent handbook' and lists what it must contain [/LIST]

In Alberta, we are required to follow and have the procedures approved by a licensing officer and explain how we will communicate our policies to the parents but there are no requirements to provide them in writing. This can be done verbally, in writing, displayed, printed on website etc..

My website and registration form cover a lot but not ALL policies. We have a binder that is kept in centre at the front counter with all the policies and procedures but I haven't physically given copy to every parent. ESPECIALLY since policies and procedures required by the government (in alberta anyway) change a few times a year :blink:

Inspired by Reggio
05-05-2012, 09:04 PM
I here ya - in the interest of the environment ... do not give out a hard copy of my handbook anymore either - it is in a PDF on the members only section of my website - I have a line in the contract that states policies are subject to change / revision annually and it is the parents job to ensure they keep 'up to date' on them.

mom-in-alberta
05-07-2012, 10:20 AM
9 pages, single sided. Verdana font, size 10, LoL.
They also get a 2 pg contract, a 3 pg "All About Me", a photo and transport release form, medication release form and an emergency info form, all to be filled out and handed back. If they are brand new to day care (or not, but I think they need to read it, hahaha) they get a "How To Prepare Your Child" information sheet.
Yes, I am an over communicator..... :p

lilchap
02-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Hi guys i am newbie...just setting up my own home daycare in markham...currently working as a nanny and a mother of 2 children ages 2.5 and 11 mons. I am an ECE and have been looking to find a home daycare where i live visited 3 in the last week but dont ask how disapointed i was...In the end i decided will be setting up my own as there is nothing good around here and some people have actually made fun of this career...

Anyways i am working on my hand book but would appreciate if someone and give a copy of a hand book as well for reference please. I have some forms ready like release forms emergency forms and photography form...working on schedule for now...

Also if you have any other forms to share would greatly appreciate it.

BlueRose
02-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Hi guys i am newbie...just setting up my own home daycare in markham...currently working as a nanny and a mother of 2 children ages 2.5 and 11 mons. I am an ECE and have been looking to find a home daycare where i live visited 3 in the last week but dont ask how disapointed i was...In the end i decided will be setting up my own as there is nothing good around here and some people have actually made fun of this career...

Anyways i am working on my hand book but would appreciate if someone and give a copy of a hand book as well for reference please. I have some forms ready like release forms emergency forms and photography form...working on schedule for now...

Also if you have any other forms to share would greatly appreciate it.

You can look at my handbook its on my website valerieshomedaycare. weebly.com
I have some of my forms and samples of my contracts there as well that you can look at.

Spixie33
02-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Hey ladies with handbooks or long contracts.... when you say 8 or 9 pages ... is that double sided pages or single sided?

Just wondering how 'long' my handbook is in comparison to others?

Mine is 13 pages...single. I wish it wasn't thirteen pages just for bad luck but I can't shorten it to 12 and I am not sure I want to add to it and make it 14 since it seems perfect. lol

I also have a whole bunch of other forms that need to be filled out if parents go ahead.

Inspired by Reggio
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Mine is 13 pages...single. I wish it wasn't thirteen pages just for bad luck but I can't shorten it to 12 and I am not sure I want to add to it and make it 14 since it seems perfect. lol.

LMAO ~ could always change the 'margins' to a wee bit wider to make it bump to an even number of 14 :o