PDA

View Full Version : Not Enough Notice??

Sandbox Sally
05-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I am moving, and it's too far to bring the dck's. I am sad, and I will miss them and the great families I have brought in. We literally decided to start looking again, found a house and signed the deal within one week.

I just gave notice to two of my parents. I am giving them two calendar months. Two families got to be friends from being in the same daycare (here), and one has told me that the other is VERY upset because it isn't enough notice. She was calm with me...

I am sitting here bawling. I feel so guilty and terrible knowing that I am leaving them in a terrible situation. I am just venting, I guess... They are a great family and treat me so well. I am letting them down.

I need a hug.

sunnydays
05-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Hugs to you! I think two months is a really big amount of notice! This is life...people move...life goes on. I bet you don't require more than two months notice for them to end care if they want to take their child out, so why should they expect more of you? We have been considering moving for quite some time now (although hopefully it will be close enough for at least some families to stay on) and if it come to it, I know all I can do is give the notice as soon as I know it. You could not have done anything else. They are probably just taken off guard and feeling worried because they don't know if they can find anyone as wonderful as you.:yes:

Sandbox Sally
05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
You totally just made me smile, kanga. Thanks.

Mamma_Mia
05-04-2012, 12:24 PM
<<<HUGS>>>

oh hunny 2 months is PLENTY of time! I'm sure its the shock factor sinking in with them. When they first started looking for care did they do so 6 mos in advance? I dont think so. In one week you can do your research for daycare's in the area that sound like they fit, then 2 weeks following set up interviews....that's still only ONE month...you gave them 2. It's not impossible to find someone (not as great! :wub:) but someone they feel good about.

I know it's hard but you didn't do anything wrong!

sunnydays
05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Anytime :)

Crayola kiddies
05-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I agree with the other ladies .... Two months is lots of time. Also I agree if it was the other way around and the parent was changing daycares I'm sure they would only give you the required weeks notice. Cheer up as usual the parents are only thinking of themselves. Once she starts looking I'm sure it will move along quickly. Best of luck in your move !

Crayola kiddies
05-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Hey wasn't it you that posted about the lady a few streets over that was willing to take the kids from your daycare ????? If so, Was the parent not interested in that option?

apples and bananas
05-04-2012, 12:50 PM
2 months is plenty of notice. How much more notice did they want?

Take it as a compliment. They are obviously so happy with you that they are lashing out and upset that they're loosing you.

Skysue
05-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I am moving, and it's too far to bring the dck's. I am sad, and I will miss them and the great families I have brought in. We literally decided to start looking again, found a house and signed the deal within one week.

I just gave notice to two of my parents. I am giving them two calendar months. Two families got to be friends from being in the same daycare (here), and one has told me that the other is VERY upset because it isn't enough notice. She was calm with me...

I am sitting here bawling. I feel so guilty and terrible knowing that I am leaving them in a terrible situation. I am just venting, I guess... They are a great family and treat me so well. I am letting them down.

I need a hug.

It's more than enough notice she's just sad as change is scary especially when she feels secure with you watching her little one. Are you able to transfer any kids to the same daycare? When i started up I was lucky to get 2 little ones from a daycare closing down due to the death of a spouce. Just thought if you could help them find a quality place not only would you be assisting the parents you would be helping another provider?

Spixie33
05-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Awww you have nothing to feel bad about

8 weeks is a perfect notice period IMO.

Considering that most houses work on a 60 day closing - then 8 weeks is all someone can really hope for
(hug)

Emily3
05-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Hugs!!!! That's plenty enough notice! I agree that she is more upset that they have to leave your care! Houses sell so fast now.....nobody could be expected to have a 6 month closing or whatever she might thinks enough notice time!

Momof4
05-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Oh, I think you are being more than generous with 2 months notice. They will have time to process the change and calm down and start interviewing soon. As long as they are not procrastinators and don't leave it til the last minute.

Congrats on the big changes in your life and I hope you fill up fast when you set up in your new house!

Inspired by Reggio
05-05-2012, 07:09 AM
First off - congratulations on the new house!

While I empathize with your client feeling a dread at 'change' which can make any length of notice feel to SHORT specially when she is happy and loving your service .... the reality is that things do change in life and we have to accept those changes with grace .... in an industry where most contracts indicate only 2 weeks notice - 2 months or 60 days notice is LOTS of notice in this business.

Hugs and hopefully once she has had time to 'adjust' to the news she will come around!

mom-in-alberta
05-07-2012, 10:12 AM
When it comes down to it, Alpha, we are all doing what WE need to do. I know that they are upset, but as the other gals said, it's because you're awesome! I would be upset too, LoL. But you gave them as much notice as you could. 2 months is pretty decent.
Bottom line is; being upset or feeling guilty isn't going to help, nor will it change anything. Enjoy your last weeks with this group of kids, and get excited about your move. This is also an opportunity to make any daycare changes that you may have thought about. You can alter your hours, set up the play space differently, whatever!!
Congrats, my dear, and GOOD LUCK!!! :D

ECE53
05-07-2012, 11:16 AM
My daycare is closing at the end of next month and I gave my Clients 9 weeks......that was plenty of notice.

Sandbox Sally
05-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone. The other parents were absolutely fantastic about it...

This one mother is hard to read, often appearing emotionless too, so I thought I felt a negative vibe from her this morning, but as I said...hard to tell.

Oh well. I am kinda upset that the reference may be gone too, as we've always had a great relationship, and I know she is very happy with my services.