PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Day Crafts.... Ideas?

lilac
05-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I havent planned what I'm going to do yet... any ideas? Kids ages from 5.5 - 8 years old...

Dreamalittledream
05-07-2012, 05:14 AM
I was going to ask the same...except my age range is 1-4 years old (hense my challenge)... Should I do a different craft dep. on age?

Inspired by Reggio
05-07-2012, 06:23 AM
We are making Shrinky Dink charm bracelets ... my crew is under 1 - 6 years of age.

Inked up hand prints on the shrinky dink paper of all the kids and I cut those out do to the detail needed and the paper being 'thick' .... than everyone but the under 1 friend stamped some butterflies and flowers on additional shrinky dink paper and punched those out with my punches so that was 'their part' of that. Punched holes in all of the cut out shape and baked em in the oven to shrink.

Bought some jewellery cord and closures and some faux pearl beads this weekend. Today we will be beading them together - my under 1 sibling will do his part for him cause mom only needs one bracelet anyway so it will have both their hand prints on it. I will help attach the closure ends for them.

We are also making paper flowers in a paper vase, paper gift purse to put their bracelets in and a homemade card.

We do an annual Mother's Day Spa hour ... so Friday we invite the moms to come for a manicure and back or foot massage and feed them iced tea and bite size treats we will make this week and serve on my 'fancy 3 tier tea tray'.... they've been practicing the manicures and massages on each other all last week it is too cute!

Dreamalittledream
05-07-2012, 10:25 AM
We do an annual Mother's Day Spa hour ... so Friday we invite the moms to come for a manicure and back or foot massage and feed them iced tea and bite size treats we will make this week and serve on my 'fancy 3 tier tea tray'.... they've been practicing the manicures and massages on each other all last week it is too cute!. That is the sweetest, most amazing idea!!!

ECE53
05-07-2012, 11:14 AM
We are painting pots to put our hens and chicks plants in . We also made gift tags. I find father's day tricky to make something for....

Skysue
05-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Picture frames with a pic of there child at daycare. The kids paint the frames and decorate with beads, jewels, butterflies etc..

apples and bananas
05-07-2012, 04:40 PM
We did a handmade card with the handprint on it. (not so easy with 2 one yr olds)

And painted a pot, we'll plant gerbera daisy's in the pot this week and send them home with the card.

I went with the painted clay pot because I have kids between the ages of 1 and 5. It was something everyone could do, either with fingers or brushes.

I'm anxious to see what everyone has planned for fathers day too. That's the one I'm nervous about.

Dreamalittledream
05-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Fathers day...hmm...what about dark colored T-shirts or hats decorated by the kids with fabric paint?

Momof4
05-07-2012, 05:59 PM
For Mother's Day we are making paper cones with tissue paper flowers in them, little purses with candies in them, picture frames with pictures of robins (made from their footprint) and grass & sky painted around the bird, terra cotta pots that they paint themselves and flowers on coloured popsicle sticks pushed into modelling clay with little stones glued on the top. Also, a homemade card shaped like a strawberry with the poem 'Mom, you are berry special and sweet. It's true! Have a happy Mother's Day because I love you.'

I think the best Father's Day present was from a few years ago when I asked the Moms to provide a white tshirt that would fit the Dad and using fabric paint we put footprints on the front with the saying, 'Dad lets me walk all over him' and handprints on the back with the saying, '#1 Dad, hands down'.

Spixie33
05-08-2012, 06:05 AM
For Mother's Day we are making paper cones with tissue paper flowers in them, little purses with candies in them, picture frames with pictures of robins (made from their footprint) and grass & sky painted around the bird, terra cotta pots that they paint themselves and flowers on coloured popsicle sticks pushed into modelling clay with little stones glued on the top. Also, a homemade card shaped like a strawberry with the poem 'Mom, you are berry special and sweet. It's true! Have a happy Mother's Day because I love you.'

I think the best Father's Day present was from a few years ago when I asked the Moms to provide a white tshirt that would fit the Dad and using fabric paint we put footprints on the front with the saying, 'Dad lets me walk all over him' and handprints on the back with the saying, '#1 Dad, hands down'.

I think those robin footprints are one of the most-raved-about crafts we have done all year. They look really good once they are done

gcj
05-08-2012, 10:14 AM
We're making sunflowers. Paperplates painted brown with a picture of each child in the middle. The petals are their handprints in yellow. A green stem and the stem leaves are a cutout of their footprint. Stole the idea from my own daughter's preschool :p

Bookworm
05-11-2012, 07:27 AM
I think I am just going to have the kids paint their moms a picture. A little lame I know, but my dck's are only 14 months (twin brothers) as the other little one I have is not here this week. Plus, my kids were in the hospital from Saturday to Tuesday so I had to close the daycare down and just reopened yesterday and had no time to prepare a nice craft like I had planned. I do have some great ideas now for next year thanks to you ladies!

michellesmunchkins
05-11-2012, 07:31 AM
I think I am just going to have the kids paint their moms a picture. A little lame I know, but my dck's are only 14 months (twin brothers) as the other little one I have is not here this week. Plus, my kids were in the hospital from Saturday to Tuesday so I had to close the daycare down and just reopened yesterday and had no time to prepare a nice craft like I had planned. I do have some great ideas now for next year thanks to you ladies!

If you want something quick, do hand and footprint magnets. I pained their hands and feet and put them onto a felt board and then just added a couple pieces of magnet to the back. They can put them on the fridge at home and its something personal. The little ones loved having their hands and feet painted :) Not as messy either when you paint them instead of them dipping or standing in the paint.

Bookworm
05-11-2012, 07:36 AM
I love your idea, but my craft supplies are a little low right now. If I can get someone to go to the store for me and get some magnets, I do have some foam pieces that may work. Thanks for the idea!

Dreamalittledream
05-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I had an inspiration from something one of my 2 year old DCBs said the other day."I love my momma more than ice cream". I had a bunch of beads (alphabet and otherwise) and cord...so we threaded bracelets (some ended up being necklaces;) ) with the sayings they came up with. "my momma's my best friend". "my mom's heart stickers say she loves me" " momma tickle me funny" "momma pretty". For the non-talkers I had them pick out the beads and just put "I love my momma". We also finger painted plant pots, planted flowers in them and they decorated the plain gift bag it all goes into. God Bless the Dollar Store!!

Spixie33
05-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Dreamalittledream -- that is sooooo cute and sweet. Love those things the kids said

Bookworm
05-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Okay, so here's what I ended up doing. I had foam flowers from the dollar store and I printed out a poem and glued them to the center of the flower. Then I used a green pipe cleaner to make a stem and a little leaf and attached it to the flower. I then attached the flower to a piece of construction paper and painted the kids hands and put their hand prints on the paper and then wrote "Happy Mother's Day" Love, XXXXX
Here's the poem I used (Im sure you've seen it before):
Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls.

But every day I'm growing -
I'll be grown some day
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away.

So here's a little handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small.

I thought the flower was fitting for the growing part of the poem.

Dayhome Mamma
05-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Okay, so here's what I ended up doing. I had foam flowers from the dollar store and I printed out a poem and glued them to the center of the flower. Then I used a green pipe cleaner to make a stem and a little leaf and attached it to the flower. I then attached the flower to a piece of construction paper and painted the kids hands and put their hand prints on the paper and then wrote "Happy Mother's Day" Love, XXXXX
Here's the poem I used (Im sure you've seen it before):
Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls.

But every day I'm growing -
I'll be grown some day
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away.

So here's a little handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small.

I thought the flower was fitting for the growing part of the poem.

I just got a mothers day craft with this same exact poem from my son's class :)....so cute. got his handprints too :)very goopy handprints.

mom-in-alberta
05-11-2012, 03:14 PM
I am such a sap.... that poem makes me cry, EVERY TIME. :crying:

Mamma_Mia
05-11-2012, 03:29 PM

We did the handprint 'garden' and a card for mommy.
I wrote in the poem out and the kiddies put stickers and coloured it.....just ignore my Gr.5 handwritting! LOL

Got one mom all teary so I think it was a sucess!