PDA

View Full Version : Will NOT eat the crusts...what the heck?

Dreamalittledream
05-07-2012, 10:33 AM
At what age do these kids learn not to eat the crusts? My children always have; never tried not to...although my husband refuses to eat the ends...weird?! It's a strange phenomenon? I even have a 1 year old DCK...who doesn't even have siblings who could show this...won't eat their crusts.

playfelt
05-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Parents start giving toast to kids when they are 10-12 months without the crusts because they are a choking hazard till the child starts actually chewing. When they continue this past 12-14 months - ie once child has teeth then they just assume this is how toast comes and won't put in the extra effort to eat them. Until 2 1/2 I don't force the issue but stop cutting the crust off after a year for the bottom crust and 15 months for the top crust if the bread was toasted as some kids will continue to choke on the top. I allow them to eat right up to the crust and do not accept done till just the crust, rind of apples etc is left. After 2 1/2 the crusts have to disappear too to move on to next phase which is dessert (applesauce, yogurt, etc.) If you aren't hungry enough to finish your meal then I stop giving you food simple as that.

Dreamalittledream
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Oh wow...raised 4 boys and had no idea that crusts were a choke hazard.

Sandbox Sally
05-07-2012, 11:14 AM
I am 40 years old. I still haven't "learned" to eat my crusts. They're dry and tasteless. :D

michellesmunchkins
05-07-2012, 11:15 AM
I am 40 years old. I still haven't "learned" to eat my crusts. They're dry and tasteless. :D
I'm 36 and agree completely! We are a bad example for the kids lol

Crayola kiddies
05-07-2012, 11:18 AM
I never redlized they were a choking hazard either and I have 5 kids ( all survived) and my kids all eat their crusts..... it's part oh the sandwich/toast/ect . They've never questioned it! My daycare kids eat them too cause when they hand them to me I say "oh your not done yet" and they eat them.

mom-in-alberta
05-07-2012, 11:30 AM
I hate crusts.... :o
Toast crusts, pizza crusts, the little crunchy pieces on breaded chicken, extra crunchy french fries... the list goes on. It's a good thing that I don't usually eat lunch WITH the daycare kids, LoL.
I have gotten MUCH better since having my own children, that's for sure.

Skysue
05-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Some Mom's cut them off and the kids become accustomed. At the end of the day it's not a big deal! I have one child where I need to cut them off and otherwise I don't.

gcj
05-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I once heard that it actually hurts some kids to eat them...no..seriously ! I don't know, though. Some eat it, some don't. I don't really think it's a big deal...the good nutritious stuff is inside, anyways!

Inspired by Reggio
05-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Oh wow...raised 4 boys and had no idea that crusts were a choke hazard.

Yup - 20 years feeding kids and first for me too ... I actually give the wee one JUST the toasted crust to knaw on - loves em when he is teething.

Same with peel on fruit and cucumber I do not take that off either - most of the vitamins are on the skins ... I just cut the pieces smaller but leave em on.

playfelt
05-07-2012, 02:10 PM
The crusts aren't a choking hazard once they learn to chew them. Unlike a cracker that dissolves in the mouth the crusts - mainly it is the top crust not the sides and bottom and especially if toasted. For kids over 18 months would not consider it an issue at all but for those under that are not adept at chewing it can be. Bread itself unless in small pieces can be more of a hazard to a little one than the crust cause it wads up and becomes a soggy ball of stuff in the mouth. One of the reasons I always toasted the bread for the younger ones cause they just play with bread and squash it. The top crust such as on a grilled cheese I find gives the toddlers issues so I pull it off for awhile.

It used to be that things like apple skin wasn't given to kids under 2-3 lest they chocke but over time some of those rules have gone by the wayside thank goodness.

Mostly think about it yourself if something is going to "go down the wrong way" as they say it is often a big bite that involves a piece breaking off such as the toasted top crust.

Dreamalittledream
05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Speaking of choking...I have a 1 and 2 year old DCK that are fantastic eaters...will eat anything and how ever much I will put in front of them....it's wonderful, but man both just shove their mouths full of food. Scares the heck put of me sometimes.