PDA

View Full Version : Siblings....

mom-in-alberta
05-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Love having them.... or not?
Do you offer a sibling discount? How much?
Do you find it easier to transition siblings (they "help" each other adjust), or harder (basically transitioning two at once)?

I have seen the good and the bad. It's nice to fill two or more spots at once, but when they are gone- you need to fill two or more spots!
I like the idea that when that family is on vacation etc, I am down two kids. I do find a bit of a "pack" mentality amongst them. "MY sister can do no wrong..."

What are your thoughts?

apples and bananas
05-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I have a set of siblings, the first ones I started with. I feel like I'm held a little hostage quite honestly. The little one is a terror and I've had numerous reasons to terminate however I keep them because they're half my income.

I do not give sibling discounts. A space is a space. I should charge a sibling premium! If they jump ship I'm out half of my income and have to fill 2 spaces at once. I hate transitioning 2 newbies in at once.

I'm obviously not a big fan, but I do what pays the bills.

Play and Learn
05-09-2012, 12:11 PM
No discounts! This is my salary!

I have one set of siblings. Dcb is 20 months, and his dcg is 5. I have him f/t and sis I have an hour before the bus. It works.

Like A&B said, it's hard to keep them when they're half your income!

Inspired by Reggio
05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Ya - siblings are a mixed blessing in the beginning they fill TWO spots which is awesome but than they make up 2/5 your income which sucks when they leave!

I do not give sibling discounts ... children are not a 'bulk commodity' it does not cost me LESS to provide care or service to them just cause they are related and as mentioned above when they leave they are a liability of loosing 2/5 your income at once ;)

I do find that caring for siblings can be a mixed blessing depending on the kids personalities ... for some infants having the older sibling makes transition 'easy' cause they see them having fun and feel at ease and trust you faster - for others having sibling here they follow that sibling around crying at them and ruin the older siblings fun during the day or the older sibling bosses around the younger one or the other kids about their little sibling and you are dealing with telling them 'give your sibling space' and you end up with TWO miserable kids to deal with.

Currently I have two sets of siblings .... and they are night and day as to how 'enjoyable' siblings can be one set is awesome with each other the other bicker like cats and dogs and I have a calendar counting down the days until they are both in school full time for September cause the loss in income will be the least of my worries after 8 weeks of full time summer with both of them if I am not found in the fetal position in the corner one day begging for a padded room and some QUIET ;)

Dreamalittledream
05-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Yes, I had a set of sisters (1 & 4) start in Jan.). Will not ever be offering a sibling discount again. I am currently charging them 1/2 price for the second...what was I thinking?!?! 4 year old is done end of June...so lesson learned. Agreed about 'pack mentality'!

Judy Trickett
05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I find siblings to be a financial risk and I am always leery about accepting them into care. I will ONLY accept a sibling set if they basically came to me by immediate referral or their first child was in my care. I NEED to know that the parents are good, normal people and that they have secure jobs. Because, as someone said, they make up 40% of your income. I also find they assume to have more "clout" with respect to how your daycare runs. Make no mistake about it - the parents also realize they make up 40% of your income and they mistakenly often assume that buys them some vote.

Spixie33
05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
I started out with 2 siblings in my care (1 and 3 year old) coming twice a week. I liked that they were coming only twice a week because it bolstered my income almost the same as 1 full time child would have but in half the time.

I thought that siblings would be easier but the ones I had - walked in the door and ignored each other the whole time. You would never have thought they were siblings. They never played or barely acknowledged each other. Mom said it was probably because they were tired of each other from home. lol

I didn't see any advantage to having siblings.

In retrospect....the idea of 2 FULL time siblings probably would make me wary because it is hard to replace two spots at once.

I didn't give a discount for the siblings and I think everyone is right who said that it still costs the same for food, craft supplies and your time whether they are from the same uterus or not. lol :laugh:

ECE53
05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I agree with Judy that some of my Parents of siblings felt they had a say ..... I don 't do discounts for siblings, I did a long time ago when I started $50/ month. Would never do that now. Have interviewed or twins once or twice ...... Was never sure how I felt about having two the exact same age .... And both sets wanted a discount so it didn't work out.

playfelt
05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I admit that with siblings I find I sometimes turn a blind eye to things that I wouldn't allow to go on between two similar aged kids in care. Big sibling annoying little sibling - fine line between playing and crossing the line and just trying to be the big sibling and honestly think they are helping the little one. At the other end of the spectrum I am more likely to have to make them stop and let the little one do more for themselves including making their own decisions what to play with or where to go in the room as in the older one can get very bossy.

The worst ones are the ones were the older child seems to have developed a dependency on the younger one as in they used to cry coming to daycare part time while mom was on mat leave and once baby starts seemed lost without baby nearby. Which is fine if baby truly is a baby but unfair to baby to have to sit beside sister while she colours when baby should be down doing their own thing. Have had three sets like this to the point I was beginning to be afraid it was the new norm.

I have one set of siblings in care and biggest issue is little one hurting herself - but parents totally just laugh it off because she comes with just as many injuries - because no matter what big brother does she will do it too and of course can't a lot of the time. She will sit on the floor and pantomime his every move in tandem. If he goes to the window she either goes too or if she is playing waits till he is done then goes to the window and tries to do what she observed - smart little cookie for 18 months. All of my kids have a sibling either already passed through here and now in school or have a baby at home - mom on mat leave with one still coming full time and other part time.

mom-in-alberta
05-11-2012, 03:38 PM
I started out with a sibling discount. I gave 10% off the fee for the second and 15% off the third, etc. Wouldn't you know it, my first clients were a set of 3 kids? I realized how much income I was losing out on, and these particular siblings were at each other ALL.... THE.... TIME!! Grrrrr.
Then I changed it to 10% off the fee for the second or third, etc kid.
But I no longer offer it. I know some do; but I agree that I am not giving that kid 10% less food, or doing 10% less activities with them!

PS- 50% off??? Holy cow, they scored on that deal!! Lesson learned, huh? ;)

Momof4
05-11-2012, 03:46 PM
I gave a family a sibling discount once and they turned out to be the most unappreciative family I ever had in care. They were terminated after several months of me learning what I WILL NOT allow in my daycare! Now, I know that's not always going to be the case, but I will never allow a sibling discount again.