PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever....

Littledragon
05-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Have you ever had a child that you just didn't like? I know it sounds mean...but...does that happen? Or am I a terrible person?

Inspired by Reggio
05-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Think of it this way - if someone came on and posted 'have you ever had a coworker/adult that you just do not like' 1000 posters would chip in and say 'hell yes' and no one would think them terrible - cause grown adults have personalities that some people just cannot stand and well the reality is that those adults were at one point CHILDREN ;)

I do not know why it is so taboo to say that there are children you do not LIKE ... who LIKES a whiner? Who LIKES a drama queen? Who LIKES a tattle tale Who LIKES an aggressive bully ... and well I could go on with negative behaviours and personality traits but you get my point ... those are all personality traits that are so NOT DESIRABLE ... regardless of the age of the person exhibiting them ;)

I have been in the field for 20 years and YES there have been children over the years whom I have had to really WORK to be around and maintain a positive approach with them like every other child in my care cause well that's my job and sometimes in work you cannot like everyone ... so while I do not 'like' them I have learned to perfect finding a balance in a working relationship just like if they were 18, 28, or 65 years old and I had to 'work' with them in any other setting... you just make the best of it.

Littledragon
05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
thank you for your honesty! I was honestly pretty surprised that no one answered this. Made me feel like a bit of an ass**** lol but maybe they're just not admitting it lol And it's not that I don't LIKE him, I guess we just don't bond very well. After I posted this, his mom came to get him and I noticed the way he is with her and the way he is with me. He's A LOT more playful with her, and laughs a lot and is just generally silly. He's not like that with me. I guess I just beed to be more patient and work harder to bond with him. I think I'm going to cut out his morning naps (he's 13 months, and his mom mentioned that she would like that) so maybe it will give us more of a chance to bond. I know he likes me, cause when he comes over, he's really excited and all smiley, but he's not at all as goofy and giggly as he was when his mom was here. I made me see him differently. I see him as a whiny, sensitive little boy. I think I just need to WORK a little harder :) Thanks Reggio

apples and bananas
05-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I'll answer, I have a child that I don't like. But they pay the bills and they go home at 5. LOL

michellesmunchkins
05-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Perfectly normal! Don't feel bad, its just a fact of life that there will be people we don't click with whether it be children or adults. Doesn't make us any less of a person or a provider. In fact, I think it makes us better people to be able to recognize that we are missing a bond with a particular little one and work harder to try to find a way to establish a connection with them.

I've had a little one that I used to just love, now she's like nails on a chalkboard to me. She's the only one that I count down the minutes until she's picked up. It happens. I still treat her the same as every other child, just sometimes I have to remind myself that she still needs hugs and snuggles too even when she's driven me up the wall all day lol

I have also had parents that I can't stand. Totally pulled a complete 360 from what they were like in the interview when they started care, but I put up with it because they had an absolute doll for a child, made it worth it. I would never believe anyone who says there have never met a child they didn't 'like'

Crayola kiddies
05-16-2012, 07:15 AM
I'll answer too ..... It's true you can't like everybody you meet it's just a fact of life.... I have one that I actually do like but his parents hold him back and it aggrevates me .... They make him whiny. If he falls they run to him and scoop him up and basically circle check him so he thinks his "stumble" is catastrophic and he bawls for an unreasonable amount of time. They don't want to hear him cry or have stress after their long day at work so they refuse to take away his soothers... he has 10 and he brings 4 with him everyday.....he's not permitted past my gate with them .... They refuse to even start potty training him until after he's three, they indulge him in everything so when I say it's time to come in or time to clean up or time to eat it's a full out meltdown....when he's not whiny or crying he is such a nice polite boy and very helpful but he needs to toughen up a bit cause jk is only one year away

sunnydays
05-16-2012, 08:29 AM
I understand what you mean. I don't have any that I don't like right now, but I had one in the past and it was really tough. Also, I've had some who took longer to grow on me...and I couldn't even pinpoint a specific reason...I still gave them great care, but didn't feel bonded with them for a long time. Sometimes it does seem to just take longer and then I think there are some kids who you will never fully "like", but you do your best anyway. I feel for you!

Momof4
05-16-2012, 04:21 PM
We just had this thread and I figured you would find it, so that's why I didn't answer, but yes I've had children in care that I just could not like. It happens to all of us now and then. It surprised me to find out that I actually couldn't like a child, even over a span of 3 years and that sounds like what you are just finding out too. I knew there were adults I didn't like, but children should all be loveable, right? Wrong!

samantha3
05-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I currently have one, lol He is lippy and a tattle tale and the worst part is that mom buys into everything her darling three year old says... I can't win. If I could go without the income I would definitely be getting rid of him, but for now I cannot :)