PDA

View Full Version : Summer only care???

Bookworm
05-16-2012, 07:01 AM
So, I have been running my daycare for 5 months now. I have one full time and part time twins. I have been getting some inquiries, but they are for September starts and no one is willing to commit this far ahead. I am on the higher end of the fee bracket in my area, but everyone around me is charging the same, so I figured I could too. My part time fees are a bit more, but I did that because I don't really want part time, and if I am going to take another part time I want to make it worth my while.
So, in order to make some more money until September I was considering offering summer only daycare to parents who need their children watched during the summer. Has anyone done this? (Any specific challenges to doing this as I do have quite a young group right now) Should I even bother?

Sandbox Sally
05-16-2012, 08:33 AM
I am kinda hoping for the same! I have no clients yet as we are in the process of moving towns, but I am more than willing to be patient and hold off til sept if I can find some decent school aged kids to care for this summer.

I think it'd be fun! The things that interest them are different, and it'd be a nice reprieve from all the baby/toddler activities I am so accustomed to.

Inspired by Reggio
05-16-2012, 12:37 PM
I think this is an awesome option for sure - if all your kids are older you would have freedom to take bus trips to splash pads or community events they might enjoy and so forth and just have a 'fun summer' cause kids this age need a BREAK from curriculum to just PLAY!!!

sunnydays
05-16-2012, 12:48 PM
If you already have a number of very young children it could be difficult. Older kids won't nap and it may be hard to keep them entertained while caring for the babies and toddlers and meeting their needs and schedules. I have always opted not to do school-aged care for this reason. If you don't have younger ones, then I agree with the others who said it could be fun for the summer as you can do lots of fun activities.

mandy
05-16-2012, 01:57 PM
I care for children of a teacher, so I am always 2 kids short in the summer. There are always other providers in my area who are taking vacation, so that means lots of need for summer care. I always take on kids throughout the summer (usually a couple of weeks here and there) to help my cash flow. I do have some small children , so I just let the parents know and it is their decision if they want me to care for any older children. during nap time we do something quiet in the house (occasional movie day, painting, crafts...) or we go play in the sprinkler out back. I love it because it helps me financially and it gets my name known in the area with new people.

mom-in-alberta
05-16-2012, 02:10 PM
I can only give you my experience with this subject; so here goes.
When I opened up my dayhome, I had 3 siblings for the summer. They were all 4 and up, and matched my own kids in age so playing was fairly easy.
Beginning in September, they moved on (I couldn't accomodate mom's hours), and I now found myself with 2 before and afters, 1 kindergarten, 1 f/t toddler and a number of p/t toddlers. I HATED it.
The experience made me realize that I will only work with one age group or the other. I found it very difficult to find activities that everyone could do together, or alongside each other. If it was good for the small ones, the older ones whined or got bored. If it was challenging enough for the older ones, the little ones couldn't do it or had not a speck of interest.
The older ones don't nap, so you don't get that "downtime". It's tough to make them rest, most of them, because they haven't had to at home for years. The ones I had didn't have a grasp on how to stay quiet during the little ones naptime, so I was forever shushing them (and felt like Miss Meanie No-fun) or they were waking up the small kids.
Feeding them wasn't too bad, but they do seem to be pickier as they are a little older. I always got the sad/neglected faces when I had to say "No, this is what we are having today. I am sorry it's not your favorite, but I am not making something different." Keep in mind that you will be going through more food. You may be surprised, especially if your kids haven't reached that stage. I am still surprised at how much my growing pre-teen boys can pack away!! LoL
I also found that after wiping bums and noses all day, hauling toddlers around; I had very little patience for **whiiiinnnnne** "He said thiiiisss" or "She's not plaaayyyinnng riiighhht". I would rather deal with the sharing issues of two year olds, frankly.
On the plus side, when they are playing, you pretty much just have to supervise and only occasionally intervene. Depending on the kid, they may be totally happy with a book, and some outside time. No diaper changes is pretty awesome, just be ready to wipe up the puddle of water around the sink that seems to appear when school agers wash their hands. If you need a couple hours peace, they are usually appeased by a movie and will actually sit and watch (unlike most of the little ones). I LOOOOVED going outside with this group, as they found things to do and I didn't have to chase after them like the small ones.
Essentially, both age groups have their perks. I personally will only do one group at a time. In the fall, I will not have any little ones left and I am starting an out of school program. I am excited, because I have a bunch of activities in mind that I never could do with the littlies.