PDA

View Full Version : Late Payment #2

Dayhome Mamma
05-16-2012, 12:01 PM
So I have a new family that just started in May. In my new contract I have stated that new families need to pay me two weeks before the start of the month (the 15th/16th) so that it gives their cheques time to clear so everything is good to go for the 1st of the month (my bank holds new personal cheques for 7-10 days). So on their first due payment, they were late a couple of days and i let it go. They were supposed to pay me by the 15th, two days ago, but mom was away on work, returned yesterday, so she text me yesterday saying she was keeping her son today to spend time with him and that she could drop off the money today or tomorrow when he comes back. we had also been texting about sunscreen last night. She was bringing up the issue that her son got sunburned so we'd have to have a chat about "sun" and that we'd have to be careful from now on.(Definitely wasn't fond of feeling like i had to be lectured) so I pointed to the contract in that it says your child has to be brought here sunscreened and ready to go which her husband must have forgoteen, which she said her husband didn't know about. (i didn't appreciate feeling like I was being blamed for it as I made sure he had a hat on every time we went outside...i always do with all the kids, so had to redirect the fault to them) I text her that today before noon would be great (as this would be two days late already)and its like she either didn't receive the text or is ignoring/deciding it for herself as she responded "see you tomorrow when sunscreen won't be an issue" cause thursday its supposed to rain. so we're not off to a good start here. a part of me feels like I should point this out to her, but a part of me feels like if I do so, its going to cause weirdness so early on in our union. How do you think I should handle this?

Errbear
05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Be upfront. She seems to be trying to be an alpha and there's no room for another alpha in your house. If she can't pay on time then ding them with late fees(hopefully you have them in your contract) AND warn them that being condescending about sunscreen, failing to follow the contract they signed, and paying late are all grounds for dismissal.....It astounds me how many people sign legal documents without reading and understanding them. Pure stupidity:blink:

Play and Learn
05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Bring it up now. She's not respecting you as a business woman. That would be 2 strikes out of 3 for me....

She can't respect you now, what's she going to be like later???

Bookworm
05-16-2012, 12:17 PM
I would definitely talk to her now. In regards to the late payments, I would tell her that from now on if your payment is not on hand by the 15th, there will be a late penalty for everyday they are late, and you will not care for their child until you get your payment and late fees.
On the sun screen issue, I would tell her it is not your responsibility to tell her husband what your son needs for daycare. He should have read your contract and handbook, just as she has. Tell her you do your most to protect the children in the sun, but it is their responsibility to ensure he has sunscreen on in the morning before coming and you will reapply later on.
If you do not clear the air now, it may just keep going down hill from here and you don't want that. Let her know that you are the boss of your business, and if she doesn't like how you run it, then she is welcome to go elsewhere.

apples and bananas
05-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I agree, tell her now! Why do we have contracts if we're not willing to enforce them?

It's like with our kids.... when we give a direction we follow through to maintain a consistent direction. If it's something minor... like... taking their socks off for example. Do we give the direction and then back down and let them do what they want? Or do we simply take the socks, put them away until outside time and let it go? We have to pick our battles and I think we have to remember when we write our contracts it's our responsibility to uphold them.

Inspired by Reggio
05-16-2012, 12:35 PM
I would stick to your guns on the fees for sure - good habits are established early on in the relationship if you allow 'excuses' to be given to get off from not doing something in your contract - well the excuses just get more creative as the relationship grows :(

With the sunscreen I would just say I empathize that is sucks that he got burnt however it is the CLIENTS job to ensure they have read and are familiar with the policies - dad needs to make sure he has READ the handbook as the policy clearly indicates it is the PARENT responsibility to sunscreen them prior to arrival and how were you to know he had not been?.

I actually have a sunscreen consent form that they have to SIGN specifically cause I do not want to mess with being blamed for a 'burn' .... outlines if they are supplying sunscreen or if they want to consent to be a part of my $10 a year sunscreen program and I supply Badger for the 'face/shoulders' and Green Beaver for the rest of the body, it also outlines that if they arrive after X time frame the parent has to apply it at home so it has time to soak in at least 30 minutes prior to outdoor time, that I will apply it again 30 minutes before afternoon outdoor time as well as after water play or vigorous sweating. I also have a section for them to opt NOT to use sunscreen unless we are in bathing suits cause some people feel that a hat and clothes are enough to protect them from burns and some sun is 'good' for them so they do not want sunscreen used unnecessarily.

I will admit that if a client arrives 'late' I tend to ASK if they remembered and will apply it again if they did not just cause i do not want a child to suffer cause their parent dropped the ball ... however I remind them 'hope it has time to soak in cause we are heading out now' so if they DO burn it was because they dropped the ball not me ;)

Crayola kiddies
05-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Why don't you get your families to pay you by EMT? That way you aren't waiting for cheques, worrying about them clearing ect .... You can sit on your couch with your feet on your coffee table and receive your fees. I don't accept cheque at all.

Inspired by Reggio
05-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Why don't you get your families to pay you by EMT? That way you aren't waiting for cheques, worrying about them clearing ect .... You can sit on your couch with your feet on your coffee table and receive your fees. I don't accept cheque at all.

I wish my bank did these cause it sure would make life easier - no trips to the bank and no waiting for your money to be 'released' to you!

Marie
05-16-2012, 12:40 PM
If it were me I would probably let her go, as in terminate and say it's just not working out, but that's coming from someone who has had a bad experience with parents like this. I had similar parents last year and I let things go early on too because I figured I would just let it slide this one time. Then they kept on pushing for other things and had zero respect for me and never followed my contract, even after being reminded of it time and time again. Finally I just let them go and never regretted it. If she can't respect and follow your contract, will it get better or worse?

Crayola kiddies
05-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Time to switch banks Reggio ; )

dodge__driver11
05-16-2012, 01:01 PM
I have a family that I love a lot that I charged late fees to yesterday because they were (Her pick up time is 4:15, and she got here at 4:27) 7 mins late picking up thier son. I charge a 15 dollar flat fee, and then a dollar per min after... (I give 5 mins grace then start charging).

She came this morning with cash in hand...Because I will not take the child until late fees are paid. She owed me 22 bucks for 7 mins....And she knows that I stick to my policies.

I learned very fast that if you do not command respect that people take a mile from you.

Mamma_Mia
05-16-2012, 01:01 PM
What worries me in all of this is that she's "fighting" you back on your points. She should be saying sorry 1 million times for forgetting and rushing asap even offering the EMT the money to you! NOT making you wait TWICE and NOT blaming you right away....she could have al least asked "did Johnny have SS put on him?" instead of a YOU DIDNT.....know what I mean??

This is sounding all to familiar to me and that family isnt here anymore!!

I'd have a firm talking to NOW with her about the rules and say X Y Z would have been grounds for termination already but since were new at this lets try it again.......& remind husband at drop off as well since clearly they don't communicate with eachother re: daycare.

My dcp was short by $20 last week, she gets her money from the bank teller in a sealed envelope with the amount written on it. I text her when I noticed and she was in shock and willing to bring me the owing money at 10pm or said the very next morning and kept saying sorry, honest mistake, please dont think anything is wrong etc etc. The bank teller made the mistake - anyways seeing how sincere she was I said it's ok to just bring it on Monday at drop off....NOW if she was giving excuses or didnt offer to bring it asap I would at that point say you HAVE to bring it NOW or no care.

dodge__driver11
05-16-2012, 01:02 PM

no kidding eh :)

Inspired by Reggio
05-16-2012, 02:06 PM

Nope I am too cheap to pay service charges to banks ... I like PC banking cause I earn free groceries each year .... I save up all my points for December and typcially have over $350 in free groceries to get all my baking supplies and turkey and so forth - this is more of an incentive for me to stay with them than the convenience that EMT would offer ... plus I do not pay service charges to access my money like most banks!

Crayola kiddies
05-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Um Reggio ..... I'm with pc banking too .... And they do EMT ..... You get all incoming emt's free and you have to pay $1.50 for an outgoing .... Mine are all incoming. Check it out !! You have to go into a kiosk and get them to set it up with your email address. It's that simple .

mom-in-alberta
05-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Re: PC, you don't even need to go to a kiosk! We set ours up online. PC is actually considered one of the major banks now.

And I would also give this family a final warning and let them know that it will not be allowed to continue. They signed up, and I presume they knew about the payment arrangements in advance. They do not get to dictate your contract.
I would ask mom to ensure that dad has been filled in on all points of your handbook or agreement, to avoid any future miscommunications.

Inspired by Reggio
05-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Um Reggio ..... I'm with pc banking too .... And they do EMT ..... You get all incoming emt's free and you have to pay $1.50 for an outgoing .... Mine are all incoming. Check it out !! You have to go into a kiosk and get them to set it up with your email address. It's that simple .

Really - cause I tried it when I saw it on my online options - but it would not work ... and well got frustrated with the on the phone CS cause they did not know what I was talking about and the lady told me it was just for CIBC customers and the template for the online banking was the same :roll:

Might have to go into a kiosk and ask for help cause cause I would love to be able to offer this option to clients!

Crayola kiddies
05-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Cool ... Thanks MIA .... That might have been an option when I set it up but I am pretty much a technology idiot !