PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE? Parents Clearly Disrespectful

Sandbox Sally
05-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Ok so I only have 6ish weeks left with these people, but the more often it happens the angrier I get, and I am afraid that I am going to explode.

Family is very very sweet and kind, and the parents often stop and chat with me on pick up and drop off, which is great with me. We have a lot in common, and if they weren't a daycare family, I could be friend with them easily.

Problem is, they don't seem to be able to tell time. They are late EVERY day. Sometimes, they don't even offer an explanation or an apology - they'll just stroll in at a quarter after closing time. Also, they are late paying me every week. When I addressed this the first time, they apologized and said to please remind them every week, as they are forgetful. Well, I am reminding them, and they are not responding until days later, even with texts, which are instant.

In my contract with them, it states that I charge for late pickups and have a daily late fee if parents pay after 6pm on Friday. So far I have not implemented either. I even sent out a group email (so as not to single them out) saying that from now on, I'd be strictly implementing my $35 dollar a day late fee for non payment. I never did. My husband is annoyed that I am not charging them extra, as they are being so disrespectful of my time and my fees. It is also in the contract that they signed that non payment is grounds for IMMEDIATE dismissal.

So...should I start implementing late fees this late in the game? Fire them? Or should I just suck it up, let it go and move on? I am inclined to let it go, but a big part of me feels a little bit trampled on. Such a tricky decision...

Mamma_Mia
05-16-2012, 01:09 PM
humm....how about asking for payment of care upfront?

I would also still charge the late fees, and if THEY choose to leave then so be it. At least try to get some $$ out of it! It's only fair...

Just don't give in because I can see you kicking yourself for not being firmer

Sandbox Sally
05-16-2012, 01:13 PM
I do get payment up front. They actually even showed up on Monday without paying OR mentioning payment, and I stupidly took their kid.

Crayola kiddies
05-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Is this recent behaviour as since you told them you were moving or has this been going on for a long time? If it's been going on a long time then I think I would probably make a few comments when they walk in like "oh your late again just so you know I closed 15 mins ago "or i would turn to my kids and say "get to the table as dinner has been ready for 15 mins we can eat now".

Mamma_Mia
05-16-2012, 01:25 PM
I do get payment up front. They actually even showed up on Monday without paying OR mentioning payment, and I stupidly took their kid.

ugh I hate that we get stuck in that awkward moment of of becoming either a pushover to mean biatch - both makes us feel like crap

Inspired by Reggio
05-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Ok - sorry but enforcing ones contract does not make you a mean bitch it makes you a successful business women .... if we allow people to go willy nilly with payments and overtime we risk our business becoming less viable due to both lack of profitability - there is no point doing this for FREE cause our spouses are not going to support that not to mention you risk burn out from being taken advantage of!

Stand up to your contract .... depending on the circumstances in my program you MIGHT get one 'pass/reminder' of something but if it happened a second time you'd get 'assertive Reggio' ... if a client showed up to my house on Monday morning without payment PLUS the late fee of $20/day for THREE DAYS according to my contract they would be turned away and have to come back with CASH for care to continue that day.

Call me a bitch but I have turned clients away at the door because they did not bring proper outdoor gear for the weather that day and I am not being stuck inside because their kid had no boots or snowpants or whatever - my policy clearly states that proper outdoor gear must be here daily!

Honestly if we do not ENFORCE our contracts or policies they are not worth the paper they are written on .... many clients are like children they will misbehave until the consequence of NOT behaving is worse than the perk of the fun they are having by breaking your rules!

I know you only have a few weeks left with them so it is up to you if you just want to 'ignore' this and continue to let it eat away at you ... and while I will turn the other cheek with some things that are not my cup of tea parenting styles or whatnot ... PAYMENT is not one of them ... you mess with my pay cheuqe or mess with my family time by being LATE to pick up and well I will go all 'business women' on you ;)

Good luck on your choice!

dodge__driver11
05-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Ihave a family that I love a lot that I charged late fees to yesterday because they were (Her pick up time is 4:15, and she got here at 4:27) 7 mins late picking up thier son. I charge a 15 dollar flat fee, and then a dollar per min after... (I give 5 mins grace then start charging).

She came this morning with cash in hand...Because I will not take the child until late fees are paid. She owed me 22 bucks for 7 mins....And she knows that I stick to my policies.

I learned very fast that if you do not command respect that people take a mile from you.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it really applies to you.

Momof4
05-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes, yes, yes, get tough now! Make a bill for them stating all the late dates and start charging a late fee when payment isn't received on time. Make a letter to all of your clients 'just as a reminder of the rules' so that you aren't centering anybody out if it makes you feel more comfortable, but the people who are causing the problem will know who they are. When it comes to my contract rules I'm a tyrant. You have to be a tough businesswoman with the parents and a caregiver for the children, 50/50.

jazmic
05-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Alphaghetti... it's not a tricky decision at all. I think you know what you need to do. I wish you all the courage you need to do it. :)