PDA

View Full Version : Would you return?

Cocoon
05-16-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't know if I'm lucky or stupid:) but occasionally I find things on the street like men wallet with a money in it :) car keys(in ladies washroom), earring(not a pair) and some other stuff. And in all occasion I have returned them except the earring as there is no way I can find the owner.

I have told this to a friend and she says I should keep whatever valuable as this is a way of god sending me stuff. I actually disagree with it. I would be very sad if I lost money especially, if I need that money desperately. And if someone founds it I would like them to try to find me and return it back to me. I know it is not always possible depends on the situation but at least try. I told him(god) if he wants me to have them he better give me the opportunity to earn them rather then make me find them :)

What do you think? Would you return any valuables or think that they are god's gifts for you? :)

Sandbox Sally
05-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Holy moley! Of course I would return them. It's the absolute only thing to do, providing there is a way to track the owner. I would not be able to live with myself if I took someone else's money if I had the power to return it. It's theft in my opinion.

I am a bigger believer in karma than in God though. ;)

samantha3
05-16-2012, 04:32 PM
I would return it. If I ever lost my wallet I would be so thankful to someone who gave it back. Plus, I would not be able to sleep knowing the hassel of losing money, replacing cars, worrying about identity theft etc...

You did the right thing, good on you :)

Inspired by Reggio
05-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Um nope I would return them as I would think finding them was karma testing my character ... I have not read the bible in a while so could be wrong about messages within it- but do not recall a finders keepers psalm and is one of the 10 commandants not do unto others as you would have them do unto you??

If I lost something valuble to me I too would want someone to make every effort to return it to me! So I would do the same thing - even with daring I would either leave it so if someone returned to place they last remember they might find it or take it too keep safe and leave a found sign with contact info.

Cocoon
05-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I belive in karma too. What goes around comes around. I have never lost anything or anybody stolen any valuable from me but again i have always! found the owner and returned it myself if I can, if can't I would hand it to the autorities and let them deal with it but never take home with me. Maybe because of this i have never lost anything :)

Another question, what if the money in that wallet was big amount? :) Look at your thumb and imagine the money was that thick:) OK. slightly less thicker then your thumb. HHAHHAHA

Sandbox Sally
05-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Some single dad's rent money? Ugh. No way would I keep it.

Cocoon
05-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Actually, they seemed well off to me but I don't care. They were driving a very nice 4 wheeler and there was no kid. Young couple came to have a holiday in one of the nicest hotel. But of course that should not justify to keep someone elses money.

He was very happy when I told him that I found a wallet but I want him to tell me his name first :)( I checked his ID and luckly he had a photo on that ID.

Inspired by Reggio
05-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Yup would not matter the amount ..... I know some people are a 'find a penny pick it up all day long youll have good luck' people but I am a "see a penny let it lie and bad luck will pass you by!" .... I would not take something that did not belong to me.

Wanna know how pathetic I am with the 'guilt' of doing something wrong ... when I was like 6 someone dared me to take a penny candy from a store and I caved and did it cause I was afraid of them beating me up if I did not - however I could not EAT that candy it sat in my room for 2 days making me sick to my stomach and keeping me up all night with nightmares to the point that I finally had to tell my father why I could not sleep or eat .... he made me take that stale ole penny candy back to the store and apologize to the owner.

The 'bigger' the found item was the more I would have to work to return it - if not directly turning it in to the police to attempt to find its owner themselves.

jodaycare
05-16-2012, 06:15 PM
This exact situation happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was out for a walk with the dc kids and I found a wallet on the ground full of money and credit cards etc. I continued to the store and on the way back I actually followed the owner of the wallet although I didn't know this until hubby returned it to her. She said that she has been walking around for an hour looking for it and she was grateful that we found it.

Crayola kiddies
05-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I would return too cause I also believe in karma.... My daughter dropped her wallet about six months ago and of course she had just got paid in cash and that was her rent money. She also had all her ID and (stupidly) her SIN card ..... Well fortunately she is broke and has not established any credit yet so when the people tried to take out a loan with her ID they were denied. She phoned that credit company (can't remember the name) to report her stuff being stolen so they would flag it and she was lucky she did .... The bank sent a "refusal of loan application" in the mail and this was how she figured out they tried to use her ID. A police officer called my house to say her wallet had been turned in about a hundred kms from where we live ... Of course all the money was gone but the ID was there but useless at this point as she had reported it stolen.....she learned a valuable lesson that day .... So yes I would return anything I found ..... I wouldn't be able to live with myself

Momof4
05-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I would return things if I had an address or put the keys in the mailbox if it had one of those veteran's tags on it because they know people's addresses, but how can you return one earring? I would just leave that in place hoping somebody retraced their steps. I'm the kind of person who finds out I had something in the bottom of my grocery cart that I missed and I go back and pay for it rather than worry about feeling guilty about it for days.

My daughter forgot her purse on the back of a chair in a food court in another city one time and I told her to forget about all of her ID and start making phone calls to replace it all and report it. She received it back in a package in the mail. How great is that? Honesty is a wonderful trait in people and I like to think there are more honest people than dishonest people in the world.

Cocoon
05-16-2012, 09:12 PM
"I like to think there are more honest people than dishonest people in the world. " Same here but I still act as if there are more dishonest people than honest people:D

To be honest, there is no way I can find out whose earring it was unles she put flyers on every building around this area. It is very pretty earring and it's actually helped me make my mind up what kind of earring I want(last 2 weeks we have been in jewellery shops to buy myself a pair of earring but I wasn't sure which style to go for) :) I'm thinking of taking it along with me and sell it and donate the money to some childrens charity. I'm hoping I will get good money from it but on the other side feeling bad for the owner:( Yucks

dodge__driver11
05-17-2012, 10:48 AM
I lost my wallet just before Christmas last year.. I was using a payphone, and put it down. (I forgot my cell in the hotel room)

No one returned it--and it was gone by the time I went back litterally 5 mins later--I was broken hearted..There was no cash in it so it probly ended up in the trash...But like someone else mentioned in thos post My SIN was in there, so I called credit reporting angencies, and the police.....

:(

So yes I would return anything I found if I could track the owner

Sunflower
05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
I would totally return the item !
I have lost my purse and wallet,debit or Credit Cards each at least a dozen times and each time someone was kind enough to return it to me or to the store manager where I claimed it.

You never know what that $ was for like others said, Maybe the couple you returned did look well off but maybe one of them is going to lose their job soon, etc.. you just never know.

When I was 13 I got paid for my summer job all in cash and in a lump sum of $2000.
Up until that day , virtually all the clothes I had ever worn were hand me downs.
I decided to go buy myself some clothes so I shoved a huge wad of cash in my back pocket and stuffed the rest in my purse.

I had been shopping for a while when an elderly woman ran up to me looking frantic !
She had a handful of $20 's and said I was dropping them all over the mall !!

hahaha, I felt like an idiot but was soooooo thankful that she was honest.