PDA

View Full Version : Need recipe for play dough

Dreamalittledream
05-18-2012, 11:44 AM
I admit it; I have raised 4 boys and have never <gasp> made my own play dough. Anyone have a good (EASY) recipe? Or any other neat ideas in the modeling clay type activity range?

dodge__driver11
05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Kool Aid Play Doh is great~~

1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 pkg. unsweetened Kool-Aid
1 c. boiling water

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil and water. Cook over medium heat until mixture forms a ball. Pour onto waxed paper or bread board and knead. Store in airtight container.
Mixing it with Kool-Aid gives the dough surprising scents: lemon, cherry, lime, orange, and will last for weeks in an airtight container.

NOTE: If child eats this, it is non-toxic.

Dreamalittledream
05-18-2012, 12:12 PM
I have everything except cream of tartar:(

dodge__driver11
05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
I should have mentioned (my bad,) you can use boiling water then you don't have to make it in the stove just mix it, then its no cook you can do it eithier way (with cold water then bringing it to a boil, or hot water and not cooking it)

dodge__driver11
05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Cream of trater can be found in the "baking needs/baking" isle of any store

Inspired by Reggio
05-18-2012, 01:08 PM
You can substitute baking soda in place of cream of tartar - you'd have to google the 'measurements' for the difference though.

My understanding is it is basically just a natural 'preservative' to give the doh more shelf life!

apples and bananas
05-18-2012, 02:01 PM
does the kool aid stain the kids hands?

dodge__driver11
05-18-2012, 02:02 PM
nope cause the water desolves it smells very good grape and cherry are my favs

playfelt
05-18-2012, 02:18 PM
In place of the koolaid you can just you food colouring. Enough to colour but not enough there to stain.

The cream of tartar can also be bought at the bulk store so you can buy as little or as much as you want to. Have never substituted just bought and kept it on hand. I actually have some shortbread recipes that call for it instead of baking soda/baking powder. Not really sure of what it does in baking.

I prefer to use cold water and bring to a boil and cook it on the stove till some of the moisture is gone and it forms a ball - don't worry about the pan as it will all wash off with a short soak. Then turn it out onto board and knead a bit to keep it smooth - be careful it is hot. Stored in an empty jar with a tight lid and put away right after use and it can be kept for weeks.

What I like is that it is all food ingredients so if they put it in their mouth it isn't the end of the world. A little bit of a too much salt fix but worse things get eaten.

Momof4
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
I have two super easy no-cook recipes. This means the children can help make it.

Koolaid Playdough

Stir together 3 cups white flour, 1/2 cup salt & 2 packages of koolaid
Add 2 cups boiling water & 3 tablespoons oil
Mix well and knead until smooth

This one is also easy and very small:

1/4 cup salt & 1/4 cup cold water and 2/3 cup flour, then once it is all mixed stir in a food colour and mix & knead again.

Dreamalittledream
05-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Kool Aid Play Doh is great~~

1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 pkg. unsweetened Kool-Aid
1 c. boiling water

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil and water. Cook over medium heat until mixture forms a ball. Pour onto waxed paper or bread board and knead. Store in airtight container.
Mixing it with Kool-Aid gives the dough surprising scents: lemon, cherry, lime, orange, and will last for weeks in an airtight container.

NOTE: If child eats this, it is non-toxic.. Wow, that was super easy! I substituted cream of tartar for baking soda & did not have kool-aid so I used jello powder instead (I used neon colors...very cool results!). No more store bought play dough for me:)

Dreamalittledream
05-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Silly question; should this be stored in refridg.?

playfelt
05-19-2012, 01:21 PM
No the cooked playdough can be stored on the shelf in a sealed container. It needs to be returned to the container after use just like regular playdough. After you have made your own a few times you will wonder why you bothered with the commercial variety. You can also get liquid dyes from in the cake decorating section and combine them to make pretty much any colour desired.

Inspired by Reggio
05-19-2012, 03:14 PM
I agree ... homemade play doh is way more 'versatile' and it is CHEAPER than store bought stuff!

You can have fun and add things like glitter or coffee or other scents to it to make it 'different' for the kiddies!

Momof4
05-19-2012, 06:45 PM
I keep mine in a tupperware container in the fridge for a couple of months. I set it out in the morning when we are going to be inside and use it and within a couple of hours it's warm enough to play with. Then after a few months I have the children use it up as a craft and we let it harden. One time we made it into volcanoes and another time we cut it into shapes and put a hole in the top to thread a yarn through so it could be a hanging decoration.

mom-in-alberta
05-23-2012, 09:57 AM
I can`t believe that I have not made home made playdough yet either!!! :ohmy:
What I like about it is that you can make a big batch of the stuff. Then, no fighting about what tiny little pot each kid is going to use!!