PDA

View Full Version : Parent on "training" wanting childcare.

Connect
05-18-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm in the process of still establishing my space for home childcare. There are some renos and decluttering I must do. However, I placed myself on a list from my children's school and was told that a parent will be needing care for her child. I met with her and gave her a tour of my home. She said she is in 'training' and needs care for her 5 yr old from 12 to 6. I gave her my rate but told her that I would need for her to sign a contract. I wondered how she would pay if she was in training. Sounded like volunteer work since she mentioned to my husband that she has yet to be employed by this company. During the conversation a few red flags came up. She used to have subsidy but no longer has it. She said she no longer qualified because of training. I recall reading about subsidy and a parent can still qualify when they are training. This led me to think that she probably needed to a job to start paying.:unsure::no: I offered her numbers of people I know that might be interested as I felt uneasy about her. During the visit my daughter offered her child strawberries and said "all you have are strawberries"? Rude I said to myself. Long story short I decided if she was still interested I would have to tell her that I am still trying to establish my homecare and my rate to her was very cheap and so I disrespected myself in this way. She didn't call back so I think I'm good. My question is do any of you have clients that are not subsdized and in school or training? If so are your rates low for these cases?
Thank you

Inspired by Reggio
05-18-2012, 04:58 PM
My rate is my rate ... I do not offer deals or discounts .... IMO if they need and qualify for government subsidy than IMO you use a program that has access to the government subsidy ... unfortunately I am not in a position to run as a charity :(

apples and bananas
05-18-2012, 05:19 PM
I was on subsidy for a while and I was making good money where I worked, but I was also a single income home. My subsidy was based on a percentage of what my daycare was costing me. So, I certainly wouldn't change my rates based on subsidy. If anything they care afford more, it's the region paying for it. I was reviewed for subsidy yearly based on my income. Maybe it varies by province and region though.

Lou
05-19-2012, 05:01 PM
I think it completely depends on the feeling you get from the potential client. I have a client who was previously a full time student, not married but living with her boyfriend. She came across as down to earth, responsible and considerate and her almost 3 yrs old was a doll! So I decided to take her on in Feb. Mom has been nothing but wonderful, never late with a payment and always easy to communicate with upon drop off and pick up. Now she is finished with University and working full time. They have been wonderful clients!!! I would hate to think that when I was in school when I had my daughter (I was rather young, 22), that someone would refuse me care based on that. Follow your gut on whether or not this person will be a good match for you, and if it doesn't work out, terminate...it's as easy as that! Good luck!!

michellesmunchkins
05-19-2012, 05:52 PM
I"m with Reggio. My rate is my rate regardless. I was once a single Mom going to college as well and I still had to pay full daycare fees (800 per month for center care) I managed because I budgeted. While I may not have had a fancy car to drive to school, my daughter was well taken care of and happy.

Lou
05-19-2012, 08:29 PM
...forgot to add that my rate is my rate regardless of the client's work situation :)

Momof4
05-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Centre care and government subsidy is probably the best bet for this parent. Is she on the list for subsidy and looking into that? I was in those shoes as the single mom of 4 children, but I would not enter into any agreement that complicated now as a home daycare provider. Too many headaches and problems!

Connect
05-19-2012, 11:33 PM
She did mention that her daughter was on subsidy in centre but no longer qualified because she refused to declare her spouse's earnings (rather he did). Anyway she did not call me back which I am glad but I think clients should call to say they are no longer interested what do you all think? I know I did when I was looking for care.

Momof4
05-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Ugh, that's just rude! Yes, it would be nice if everyone got back to us with a polite and honest answer, but sadly that is not the case and you will meet all kinds of people during interviews. Every time you do NOT hear back from somebody just say, 'whew, I dodged a bullet there'! You don't want that kind of person in your life, you know?

playfelt
05-20-2012, 08:33 PM
About the training the lady is taking. There are some jobs where the training is done and then only those that pass the training are offered jobs. It may be that there is a loophole in the system such that she has lost her subsidy since what she is doing isn't really training it is looking for work. I didn't think you could apply for subsidy till you had found work since the amount of money you get depends on your salary. What she will be able to do is to claim on her taxes any amounts spent on daycare while she is looking for work, taking training, etc. so maybe that is what you were thinking.

First question for me would be if she has a place in licensed care reserved for when she gets the job and gets her subsidy back which means she won't be in your care very long.

At the same time given how the interview went I wouldn't be offering them a place either. Last thing I would want to put up with for such a short time is a rude demanding 5 year old.