PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get sick?

Starshine
05-19-2012, 09:36 PM
As a provider, are you sick a lot? Colds? Flu? Other nasty stuff? :) What do you do to try and stay healthy?

Momof4
05-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Every freaking January for 4 years now! These little guys bring me their cold germs and since I had pneumonia when I worked at my last job, which was at a medical laboratory my lungs are now susceptible to all the viruses and bacteria that these little ones bring to my house. So, a few months ago after being sick from Jan-March I asked my doctor for everything possible to help me and he gave me Nasonex and Symbicort, nasal spray and a puffer. Within a week of using these two medications I could actually breathe and feel healthy again.

The kicker is that last Oct. I started taking Vit C, Vit D, Echinachea, you name it! I was determined not to let them get me this year dammit! But they did. I guess I need to wear a mask next January.

playfelt
05-19-2012, 10:58 PM
A lot more in the first few years of doing daycare than now 26 years later. What I do find though is I get sluggish rather than sick so feel more dragging but at least I can cope. At the same time there is something to be said for just being sick for a couple of days and getting it over with. Your own kids will build up their immunity too which also helps you since you won't be dealing with as many illnesses on the weekends too.

Inspired by Reggio
05-20-2012, 10:33 AM
What do I do to help with an immunity normally - eat a healthy diet with lots of fresh fruit and veggies, get lots of sleep - at least 8 hours a night, engage in moderate exercise (that's easy running after 5 kids) and as a supplement I take Vitamin B 6 & B 12, Vitamin D, Magnesium and a pro biotic daily.

My first 5 years in home care I found I was rarely sick maybe the odd rotavirus symptoms... however I came from working in centre to home so the exposure to germs for me was 'lessened' by the home childcare of 5 clients verses centre cares 75 clients through the doors daily ... in centre care it was not uncommon to use 12-18 sick days a year easy due to all the germs you were exposed to - mostly vomiting and diarrhea to be honest more so than colds although got my fair share of ear infections even as an adult while in centre care???

This winter was not a good one to gauge illness on though cause I ended up with a strain of pneumonia I could just not kick and my lungs are still not back to normal capacity - I have been not myself for almost three months now however I only took 2 days off work when I started the treatment and have plugged away since.

mamaof4
05-20-2012, 03:57 PM
I feel like I am sick all the damn time.

mom-in-alberta
05-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Not as much as I would have guessed? I actually feel like I haven't been sick too much this winter spring... but I also didn't have a house full of dc kids, since I took some time off.
Last year I had one serious flu virus in the winter, and came down with a cold that turned into laryngitis in late April. No voice for almost 3 weeks!! That was fun with a house full of kids.
;)

jec
05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Even with all the colds and flu these little people pass around, I've been hit with a few but then it was my own fault not sticking to my sick policy.
I don't do anything extra to stay healthy, I eat right and get a lot of exercise running around after all the kids:laugh: