PDA

View Full Version : Ever Dream of working a different job?

Dayhome Mamma
05-22-2012, 02:54 PM
If so,what would you be doing?
I keep on having days or months where sometimes I'm happy and content with what I'm doing, and then there are those where I daydream and can't wait for the day to come when I know I can stop doing this job because there are always issues that I gotta deal with and I'm just getting so tired and drained from it. I keep on telling myself that all in all its pretty good. I get to stay at home, make a pretty good income, i have extra help, i am appreciated by most parents, i know my kids are safe and eating well and not getting yelled at by someone else. But then there are the long hours, other people's misbehaving kids that you feel guilty about disciplining should you have to, spending so much of your life at home and just surrounding areas, being bored and feeling unappreciated. that i crave doing something else. Like Hairstyling. Something i feel is an easy going job where you can just be yourself, though I'm sure it comes with a handful of complaining customers each day as well. I used to work as an interior decorator for a high end modern furniture store where my job was mainly focused on customer service and sales. Where did you work before and what kind of job do you think you'd get into next if you couldn't take care of children?

ECE53
05-22-2012, 03:34 PM
I have and it starts in September. I have always wanted to work in a Kindergarten classroom. I am taking the summer off and start my new job in September. It was time, I did homedaycare for 9 years and my Family wants their house back. I loved what this job gave to my family, my girls have never been in daycare, I have contributed financially to my household and my husband has never had to stress about picking up his kids after work. It was hard and it was wonderful I am grateful but also really looking forward to the new challenges ahead ! And new carpets ! Lol.

Momof4
05-22-2012, 05:35 PM
I was a secretary/Marketing Assitant for many years and worked my way into management and then I went to college while raising 4 children, then worked at a medical laboratory for many years.

I wouldn't go back if they paid me a million dollars! I love being self-employed, being the boss, working with the children and great families. I have made a promise to myself that I'm not going to let anybody bring negativity into my life for my remaining days on this earth. I've worked with some of the worst people on the planet, so now I decide who comes into my life and I love it.

Inspired by Reggio
05-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Is retirement a job? Cause that is what I dream about ;)

I am with Momof4 ... I do not wish to go back into the workforce EVER ... if I change tracks it will be from one self employed option to another ... I have a second home based business selling paper crafting supplies and if I could make a full time income at it I would love to do that 100% of my work week - but I am not aggressive enough with sales to get that kind of income - however my goal is to hopefully build it up enough slowly to be able to make a 'part time income' for when I am in a position to 'semi retire' because my ole body is going to give out on me one of these days and childcare, as much as I love it, is not going to be an option until I am ready to retire 100%....but it is hard to find time to work two jobs sometime even when they are both home based jobs!

apples and bananas
05-22-2012, 05:57 PM
I have my days where I wish I could hide behind a desk for a few minutes when no one is looking. Or I could go for a walk on my lunch. Then I snap back to reality and realize the stress that I was under racing home in traffic to pick up the kids. Always worried when their dad was schedule to pick them up. The race to find someone to replace me on short notice when I got that call from the school to come pick up my child. One day I will go back to the outside working world, but for now, this is where I am happiest.

Mamma_Mia
05-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Is retirement a job? Cause that is what I dream about ;)

exactly! :D

lilac
05-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Every freaking day! LOL! I have tons of things that I want to try, i love school, so there are several different careers I'd like to try partly because the education looks interesting to me!

mamaof4
05-23-2012, 10:07 AM
honestly, it is hard. It is really hard pretty often but, I love it. I love the kids.

playfelt
05-23-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm with you Reggio - after 26 years in this job it is time to focus on retirement - hubby is down to three years before the military kicks him out at age 60 so my years left at this are certainlly numbered.

We want more freedom to come and go as we please and I will ramp up my Story Time Felts sales and do more homeschool conferences and educational PD day displays and stuff I can't do now including some out of town things. Yeah dreaming is fun.....

jec
05-24-2012, 07:33 AM
I'm not close to retirement and not looking to rush my days away! I love this job and wouldn't and couldn't go back to an office environment.
Ya, there are days that I wish I was back to wearing suits, dress shoes and having my nails painted but, I am so much more happier and know that I'm making a difference in these little lives.
I think daycare providers are under valued !

mom-in-alberta
05-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes... and no. I don't know!!
I actually feel like I am in a bit of an early-midlife crisis right now. I am done having my babies, and although I like where I am in life, I just don't know if it's where I really need to be. I really enjoy this career, and the perks that come with it.
But I have been contemplating going back to school to get my nursing degree. Sometimes I get really excited when I think about it, and other times I am certain that it's a mistake.
*sigh* It's not easy to be a grown up, is it?

jec
05-25-2012, 12:06 PM
It's not easy to be a grown up, is it?

I wouldn't know...still waiting to get that mature grown up feeling :laugh::laugh:

momof2cuties
08-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Yes and No... Before starting my in-home daycare (and before having my kids) I worked as a medical receptionist and always wanted to further my studies and become a Registered Nurse! I often think of that career, but am happy to be playing with my kids everyday and being home to tuck them in at night. I would have to spend 4 more years in school, so not sure if I like that idea at my age LOL

mimi
08-14-2012, 11:36 AM
I worked in retail management, was a flight attendant for many years(when you actually got service with a smile!) and was an account executive which required long commutes. When I look at another poopy diaper and think of the locales I have seen and the executive perks I used to enjoy I know right now I am where I need to be. I don't have to deal with annoying co-workers or have to deal with office politics or put up with that boss you can't stand and the people skills I did learn I use on some of those parents that can annoy the heck out of us. My home life is not rushed because I am here and I and my family are happy. Should I start feeling like I want something more, I can always go to night school and take a course or think of a small other busines like Reggio. I have always wanted to write, so sometimes while I'm changing that diaper I am thinking of plot lines for a story. We women are great multi taskers, so while we do this job, we can tinker with something else we might want to pursue.:)

mattsmom
04-03-2014, 08:52 AM
I worked as a vet tech before this and I would love to eventually go back to that line of work. I have loved being home with my child and seeing him grow into a preteen, while looking after other children as well, but there will come a time that I will pack up and get a job outside of the home.

5 Little Monkeys
04-03-2014, 08:57 AM
I have always worked in childcare or healthcare and always knew that some day I wanted my own hdc. My fiance and I had talked about it and had sorta decided that I would open one once we had our own family. However, some things changed and I opened up a hdc earlier than we had planned. I have no children of my own yet but hope too someday. I love my job and hope to do it until I decide to retire.

There are pros and cons to every job and for me, hdc's cons are far less of a hassle/stress than when I worked out of the home. The pro's of having my own hdc are what make me love my job as much as I do.

CrazyEight
04-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Honestly, every day. I never saw myself as doing something like this, it just kind of worked out that way. I have an obscure artsy degree that I absolutely LOVED taking, and went into major student debt to obtain, and I would really love to be able to use it in some capacity. I live in a small, working-class city, however, and it is essentially useless here. My husband's hours are all over the place, including evenings and weekends, so I would really need to find a 9-5 M-F office job to be able to make anything after daycare costs for my own three kids. Having only worked retail management since university, however, and taken mat leave three times, my resume is pretty pathetic. So here I am.
I'm really trying to find ways to keep myself more mentally engaged, in the hopes that I can grow to like this business more. I've terminated my "problem" clients, upped my rates a bit and reworded my contract in the hopes that new and future clients will be a better fit. Now that the weather is getting a bit better, the little ones and I can go for walks during the day while the big kids are at school, and I have big plans for the summer, including revamping my backyard and starting a garden with all the kids.
This is the best option for us right now, but I'll confess, if the opportunity came to drop everything and move back to a bigger city, where I could use my degree, I'd jump on it.

FunnyFarm
04-03-2014, 12:02 PM
I want a big hobby farm and to run a Dog Boarding kennel- but POSH! personal "hotel" rooms with TV, a bone shaped doggie pool. Doggie Spa.... I dream big, but I do love being home with my kids and cuddling other children too. I will keep dreaming though! :D

torontokids
04-03-2014, 12:21 PM
I keep going back and forth about this. Plan had been to do this until September when eldest starts school, then I decided to keep at it until my 2nd is in school. I was really getting into doing DC then I got a call yesterday that my youngest has a spot in a preschool for Sept (super hard to get into preschool in Toronto) so now I am torn. Do I take this opportunity to go back to work (have nothing to go back to and no job postings have interested me) or do I continue doing what I am doing and stay home with my dd?

bright sparks
04-03-2014, 12:30 PM
If I could live out my dream I'd love to go to Uni and go all the way and get a PhD in Psych. I AM going to school in September 2015, even though I constantly stress over the reality of living off one income and being a full time student as well as a mother, to do a 2 year diploma to be able to get a job straight away as a law clerk. I have entertained the idea of going to Uni instead and its not that I can't but I question my ability to be there for my kids adequately while I go through school for a good 6 years minimum before I am employable. Its not like its just me and my hubby...kids and mortgage always come first but after devoting my life to others at the expense of myself, the last thing anyone wants is me to have both my kids graduate school, move on with their lives and little old me be left feeling empty and resentful. ARGHHH I go round in circles about it, but with such high goals its not something I really want to delay any further if I'm going to go for it. I'm turning 32 in June and entering the field at 40 would be fine but just starting my education at 40 on this long road I have set out for myself would be a very different matter.

AmandaKDT
04-03-2014, 01:06 PM
If I could live out my dream I'd love to go to Uni and go all the way and get a PhD in Psych. I AM going to school in September 2015, even though I constantly stress over the reality of living off one income and being a full time student as well as a mother, to do a 2 year diploma to be able to get a job straight away as a law clerk. I have entertained the idea of going to Uni instead and its not that I can't but I question my ability to be there for my kids adequately while I go through school for a good 6 years minimum before I am employable. Its not like its just me and my hubby...kids and mortgage always come first but after devoting my life to others at the expense of myself, the last thing anyone wants is me to have both my kids graduate school, move on with their lives and little old me be left feeling empty and resentful. ARGHHH I go round in circles about it, but with such high goals its not something I really want to delay any further if I'm going to go for it. I'm turning 32 in June and entering the field at 40 would be fine but just starting my education at 40 on this long road I have set out for myself would be a very different matter.

My mom went to college to be a registered nurse when she was 45 years old, she didn't go until her kids were all grown up. Never say never. There is no reason that you couldn't go to school when you are 40 years old.

bright sparks
04-03-2014, 01:30 PM
My mom went to college to be a registered nurse when she was 45 years old, she didn't go until her kids were all grown up. Never say never. There is no reason that you couldn't go to school when you are 40 years old.

I totally understand what you are saying but there is a big difference between 4 years as a student nurse and then entering a field with huge shortages, especially back then I imagine, versus 6-8 years and entering a field dominated by people 20 years younger who already have more experience in the field and then dedicating a lot more time to climbing the ladder to an even remotely half decent wage. A nurse with 4 years studying will enter the workplace earning a very good wage at entry level where as a 4 year degree in psych wont even make me employable so would require a further 2 years of education before I could get a job which would still be a substantial amount less than a new graduating nurse. Going to school at 40 for 4 years to be a nurse is very different than entering school at 40 for 6-8 years into a field such as psych. People who are successful in the field have worked 12 plus years before gaining stability. That would put me well into my 50's, Hence why I think now is a crucial point for me if that is the route I take. I can't have it both ways though. As I said, if this was just the two of us, I wouldn't have any doubts, I can afford to lose a few pounds, or 80 lol by living off rice and beans. The longer I put it off the harder it will be but I think a lot of it is being spoiled having effectively raised my children full time as well as been a full time daycare provider and earning a half decent wage most of the time. It is clear I have lost my independence/identity and my ability to think as an individual outside of the role of caregiver and I just don't want to miss out on my kids last years before high school graduation because I am elbow deep in hardcore studying. I am so torn..... My children are the centre of my universe and I am feeling like I am somewhat lost in my quest for finding my personal identity it seems I may well be clinging to that role and it quite possibly is holding me back from growing a set and having some courage and faith in my own abilities.