PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider being the hardest part of your job?

Dayhome Mamma
05-23-2012, 06:44 PM
For me, its when you feel like you don't want to take care of a particular child anymore and you have to let them go, or are unhappy with a family and how they are to you and have to let them go. I guess having to let people go is the most stressful for me. Admitting that things just aren't working. But its also the most relieving!!!:) What about the rest of you ladies?

momof5
05-23-2012, 07:25 PM
When I really don't want to take care of a particular child and admitting the best thing would be to terminate, along with having successful interviews to fill spots!

Mamma_Mia
05-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Having to address an issue with a parent or remind them of what's on the contract. I hate it because if the fear of "what if" what if they get mad, or the talk gets heated or thye screw me over. I mean I know we try to protect ourselves through our contracts but unless you're ready & willing to do court stuff....they CAN screw us over LOL

Spixie33
05-23-2012, 08:12 PM
I may have a long list
I have to agree that the worst is interviewing. I don't enjoy it at all and often they prove to be a waste of time with a family that isn't a good fit or doesn't give me a good feeling and we just are not meant to be.

Taking care of a child that stresses me out but has awesome parents so I feel 'stuck' with the child even though they make my day seem longer and harder than it should be.

Getting everything done around the house i.e cleaning , cooking healthy foods that the kids will eat, programming or preparing crafts or thinking of ideas

Being 'on' all the time. I feel like every day is go-go-go and you have to be the most positive, happy, patient person with the kids when you don't feel like that every day.

Putting in quality time with my own kids at the end of the day when I feel drained.

This job is tough and you have to be pretty good at organizing, multi-tasking and having a limitless supply of positive energy:) I think everyone should pat themselves on the back every day

Inspired by Reggio
05-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Hmmm for me it is the 'many hats' that have to be worn ... sometimes I just do not want to do the dishes or vacuum the floor AGAIN however because there are people in and out of my home and kids crawling around you kinda HAVE to keep the house in that tip top clean and organized manner to keep the kids safe ... I miss being able to go away for the weekend and just 'skip' cleaning the house for a day or two and not having to 'worry' about it on Sunday night cause you could just 'catch up' over the course of the week.

My other bane is GROCERY SHOPPING ... I hate the fact I have to shop like twice a week for food and the time that takes ... and the menu planning, meal prep and so forth day in and day out ... sometimes it just gets draining to say the least and often I find myself wanting to tell my own family 'fend for yourself I am on strike'!

I also HATE the time it takes to advertize and interview for the perfect client ... I have often been lucky to get internal referrals over the years so have not had to do as much but the amount of STUPID emails you get when you have an ad up is just exhausting - and while initially I felt 'obligated by professionalism' to respond to every email it has honestly gotten to the point where sometimes I just 'delete' them and do not even respond if they ask me something LAME ASS that is clearly in my ad or one my website :o

Seriously if there are parents reading these forums - do not email a provider and ask what their hours are and how much it costs unless for some very strange reason this info is NOT in the ad or on her website somewhere - our time is valuable and taking time away from the family or the program or ourselves to answer emails SUCKS and honestly we do not want to waste it answering mundane things that a client could easily read for themselves ... this is why most of us have created websites so that everything a prospective client needs to 'know' is there for them so you can read it over and contact us if you want an interview to check it out in person ;)

playfelt
05-23-2012, 10:16 PM
I don't like the interviewing and feeling like I am defending my position since I know I am being compared to everyone else they are interviewing. I really hate the "play dates" before a child starts where mom wants to see me interacting with the kids. I now make them be first thing in the morning and we have freeplay while they are there and I just flit between the kids and the new family and explain things as I go. I am not going to do a circletime or anything that involves me being the performer and them the audience. I am not a circus clown. I do not sing for adults anymore.

Dayhome Mamma
05-23-2012, 10:41 PM
I don't like the interviewing and feeling like I am defending my position since I know I am being compared to everyone else they are interviewing. I really hate the "play dates" before a child starts where mom wants to see me interacting with the kids. I now make them be first thing in the morning and we have freeplay while they are there and I just flit between the kids and the new family and explain things as I go. I am not going to do a circletime or anything that involves me being the performer and them the audience. I am not a circus clown. I do not sing for adults anymore.

Playfelt, you put a smile on my face:) glad to hear you don't sing for adults anymore! :)

jec
05-24-2012, 07:47 AM
For me the toughest part is getting my back bone out to stick to my sick policy. I've now had two different 'bugs' go through the daycare due to me not sticking to my poo rule and everyone caught it.
Moving forward though, I'm going to steel hard!!

Momof4
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Mine is short and sweet - I hate interviewing!

mom-in-alberta
05-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Parents parents parents parents parents parents parents...... LoL :laugh:
I get so frustrated with parents who don't listen, or choose not to, who don't respect me or my business, who seem tho think that they get to make all the decisions because they "pay good money". And so on.
And yes, it can be a very tiring career, both physically and emotionally. I think that is why so many people only last a couple of years.