PDA

View Full Version : Feeling regrets for accepting a new part time client that just moved

momof4inpink
05-23-2012, 10:36 PM
I get a phone call from a parent moving to my city and in desperate need of care for thier girl part time for only 3.5hrs a day mon-fri. I tell the father on the phone that I am no longer interested in taking part time clients and that accepting someone over the phone is highly un-usual:(. He pleas with me that his daughter is very well behaved etc.. I accept just for a temporary fix for his families obvious need:unsure:. He asks how much and I state to him that I would have to sit down and crunch the numbers as I dont have time at the moment, as I was tending to my dck. He tells me a price, and I say again I am not sure. Calls me back again to say that he wants this to be a permanent placement, as she will attend the same school as my children, as he says his wife just registered her. Again I tell him, we will see.

They move here, set up a meeting with myself and family. I draw up the paperwork for a temporary contract for the cost slightly higher than the original number he stated on the phone. I also tell him that, this is the number I came up with as his daughter needs more than part time care, but lower than fulltime. He goes on to kind of give me attitude and say that isnt the number "WE" agreed with on the phone:mad:. I tell him I never agreed to anything. His wife sitting right there goes on to tell me that thier daughter will attend the same school as my children and if thier daughter could catch the bus with them etc.. I ask what days will she attend kindergarden, she sais Im not sure, I havn't registered her yet....:huh: (dad said she was) I tell them I have a probationary period of 2 weeks, and furthermore, this was just a tempory fix for them for moving here. I state on my contract that they need to pay for the remainder of May in full before she is to start. And then on the 1st and 15th of the month. He phones me yesturday to ask me if it was ok to pay the 1st on thier payday which is in 2 weeks:unsure:. tells me that its difficult since they just moved. He does agree to pay for the month of May however. Asks if he can drop her off 15min before start time; which is "quite time" which also states on my handbook and I tell them also my concerns about thier daughter needing to play quite during this time (which she hasn't)

Today he drops her off, (only 2nd day in my care) she is complaining of a sore tummy, and he proceeds to tell me that she has chronic stomach pain:ohmy:, they have taken her to numerouse doctors etc.. with no ryme or reason to her pains. It will go away in 10 minutes he sais!!!!! She of course makes things difficult for me during "quite time" complaining of her tummy. Neither parent in our first meeting said a word to me about this!!! It also states in my contract to let me know of any health concerns!!!!

I am at a loss, as to what to do! I feel like I have been totally railroaded.They lied about registering her to school, her chronic stomach pains, wanting to delay payment. I want to terminate immediately (my gut feeling) but feel for this poor little 5yr old girl, which has taken a likeing to my kids of course. I told them that I would take care of her over the summer, but come September probably not, but now I am not sure I even want to take her past the 14 days.

Dayhome Mamma
05-23-2012, 10:53 PM
If I had the space and wasn't in a rush to fill a full time spot then I would probably stick it out until september and make it clear to them about that. That that is the longest you could commit to as you have someone else line up for a full time spot so you just do not have any space for part time. that you are just doing them a favor until they find someone else that can accomodate them? This way you have time to find a better client for then, and september seems to be a busy month for people wanting to start care. If she's 5, then i would remind that because she is entering during "quiet time", that its very important for everyone to be quiet upon entering and that she should be reminded of this prior to? I would forgive the lateness for this time with payment as they're probably all over the place and chaotic in their lives. But i would let them know that in the future, no payment, or late payment, as in every business equals no service....that you wouldn't be able to take their child in until they went and got you the payment on time.

Mamma_Mia
05-23-2012, 11:23 PM
yes to everything above poster said.
Also most jk/sk September 2012 classes have already had the 'class & Teacher meetings' and registeration should have been done....IF the school has room for her to attend!

((sigh))

I feel for you. If you're in no rush keep her until Sept...but too much more do NOT stand for it. Sorry but move on....

apples and bananas
05-24-2012, 07:02 AM
I'd get out while you can! Sounds like a very difficult client. And right from the start there is very little trust. This sounds like a family you will have to constantly be bringing out the contract with.

Questioning the $$ would be a huge problem for me. If they are paying more then they think they should be paying then no doubt they're going to expect the world! Early drop offs, late pick ups. They sound like the kind of people that want to get their moneys worth!

jec
05-24-2012, 07:14 AM
It sounds as though you have been fair and you should listen to that little voice inside.
I would give them either one or two weeks notice so they have the time to find someone else. I always try to remember that we never know what goes on in someone else's life and what situation they are in. Having said that, you don't need to help them either but that would just be me.

Be firm in telling them that they can not arrive until the set time, payment has to be paid in full now for the reamaining time in care and if they are unable to do it then you need to terminate right there. You are giving them notice, helping them out as you can continue on without their income and since they have already started about money, don't wait until the last day as again, you don't know their situation and might take off and you won't see a cent.

Good luck- let us know what you plan to do, not easy :(

Cadillac
05-24-2012, 07:39 AM
I would give it one more week and terminate

Play and Learn
05-24-2012, 08:01 AM
I wouldn't even have signed them on in the first place. They have no respect for you and YOUR business.

If you need to term ASAP, here are what I would give as my terms:
1. arguing about price
2. lying to my face
3. health concerns
4. dropping off not on the contracted times
5. very pushy

I have a 3-strikes and you're out policy. Trust your gut and get rid of them ASAP.

momof4inpink
05-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Thank you to everyone who gave me great input & advice. I will see what developes in the next week. I will let everyone know as to what happens :)

Marie
05-24-2012, 08:33 AM
I would tell them it's just not working out while you can. Something I've noticed in this business is that often times parents make THEIR problems OUR problems. If they've only just started and you already have these problems I wouldn't even continue on. Some things aren't worth the headache!

Inspired by Reggio
05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Oh tough one ... I too likely would have 'passed' just on the desperation and tone of the clients before even signing the contract ... cause if this is them on their 'best starting out a new relationship' behaviour what the heck are they going to be like 6 weeks from now when they are truly 'comfortable' with you?

The 'pain' with the kid - that is risky cause it could be something seriously waiting to blow up on your or that could just be 'nerves' or the child has learned the strategy that if i complain about my sore tummy I will not have to rest or will not have to eat that or will not have to XYZ and it is a manipulation ploy ... over the years I have seen kids who quickly learn if they attempt the 'I feel sick' card to get out of having to do something they do not WANT/LIKE to do ... I have a 6 year old currently in care like that :roll:

momof4inpink
05-24-2012, 08:44 PM
They will be recieving a termination letter tomorrow morning. Dad shows up to drop her off this afternoon with daughter with the stuffed unicorn that I purchased for her for her birthday...yes I know too nice, as this is only the 3rd day. I politely tell dad and her that she is not allowed to bring outside toys into the daycare due to jelousey, sharing issues etc... Dad looks at me puzzled, I say it clearly stated in my handbook that this is forbidden. He says oh, I never noticed. hmmm So daughter starts pleading with dad and me to allow it, I hold my ground and sa no. I proceed to tell him that she is having a hard time adjusting to "quite time" and how important it is. I also state, that she complained about her tummy, and refused to do any of the set out "quite activities" He assures me that she will be better. As agreed the mom picks up a little later tonight, as we had agreed upon just for a bit. May I add they tell me this a week prior to thier arrival, that mom need to work late on Thurday nights.We agreed thast dkg would eat a snack with older children at 3:45pm as when the get home from school. Mom picks up about 6:15pm, dkg doesnt want to leave, starts giving mom a bit of a hard time. I say nothing, waiting for mom to hold ground. Mom finally says ok then, I"ll be seeing you next week. I say I dont think thats going to work lol. Then dkg sais well can we go out for dinner? mom looks at me and sais, she hasn't eaten dinner? I say no, she had a snack at 3:45pm. She questions me, oh what time does your family eat dinner? I tell her not until later, after all daycare children are gone. I wanted to scream at this woman, and tell her, wow do you have alot of nerve. Needless to say, termination letter tomorrow will be handed to dad upon arrival!!!!! Never again. Well at least I learned my lesson, never accept a client over the phone from a different province.

mom-in-alberta
05-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Yup, bye bye....
From day one they sent out warning signals. Bless you for giving them a chance, as everyone deserves one. They MAY have been just going through a tumultuous time with the move, etc.
But there is a continuing air of disrespectful "I'm your boss" mentality here. Good riddance, I say.

Dayhome Mamma
05-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Oh I so can't stand the "I'm your boss" mentality! glad you swerved away from any possible prolonged badness....

jec
05-25-2012, 03:58 PM
How did it go when you gave notice?

momof4inpink
05-25-2012, 08:27 PM
I told the dcg to go play quitely while I talked to her father outside. I handed him the termination letter, and told him that it just wasn't working out. He wanted to know why. I proceeded to just tell him that it "wasn't a good fit" he seemed confused and kept asking me for more details. I really was nervouse, and uncomfortable. I really dint want to tell him the real truth, so I told him that the dcg just was having a hard time staying quiet during quiet time. he proceeded to tell me that was odd becasue the past 3 daycares they never has issues. However I recall him saying that the last daycare she was at, they only need friday care. So really how can you base proper judgement on that. So I guess I took the coward way out, and really down played the real reasons. I just really didnt want to get into an arguement with him about it. I had alreaady had a sleepless night lastnight over it, and was stressed all day until 2pm this afternoon for thier arrival. then the mom coming to pick up at 5:30 was uncomfortable. Again the dcg gave her mom a hard time about leaving even to the point hugging my two daughters over an over agin, to delay leaving. Putting her shoes on super slow etc.. all the while mom just allowing this behaviour. So glad I terminated, however will take careof her until the 31st. So 4 more days :(

Lou
05-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Sheesh, how uncomfortable!!! I, too, would have a difficult time voicing my reasons...I hate stuff like that!!! I'm so glad I haven't had to terminate yet, I will be terrified of the day it has to happen. Maybe you could email them your reasons to prevent them fro asking you again? lol 4 more days and they will be out of your hair!

momof4inpink
05-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Sheesh, how uncomfortable!!! I, too, would have a difficult time voicing my reasons...I hate stuff like that!!! I'm so glad I haven't had to terminate yet, I will be terrified of the day it has to happen. Maybe you could email them your reasons to prevent them fro asking you again? lol 4 more days and they will be out of your hair!

Yes it really was not fun, and was my first termination. Oh trust me I so wanted to tell him the truth about everything, however I thought how uncomfortable it will be to happen to run into them at the store one day, becasue you know its gonna happen lol!!! I figured I would just sugar coat it :)

jec
05-26-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm only had to terminate one family and it was horrible as it's only normal for them to put their back up and get defensive. ((Hugs))
Stay strong and confident in your decision and try to look at it a different way to help you get through the next few days. You did what was right for the rest of your daycare kids and your business. This too shall pass

Momof4
05-26-2012, 06:38 PM
THE LAST 3 DAYCARES????? That says it all right there momof4inpink!!! You did the right thing by terminating. Just try to put it behind you and find a great family to fill the space.