PDA

View Full Version : Water Safety

DaycareLulu
05-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi Everyone,

With the warmer weather and water play that it brings I just want to remind everyone about the dangers of deep buckets(Rubbermaid bins and toy storage bins) filled with water. I was at a neighbors this morning and witnessed an almost drowning by a small child falling in head first and not being able to pull himself out. Thankfully he was pulled to safety quickly enough. It made me think and reminded me about the reasons shallow stand up water tables are the way to go.

Inspired by Reggio
05-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Yes - prudent reminder for sure .... I do not use 'pools' for this reason and stick to sprinklers and spray bottles ... and I keep my sensory bins which are only 3 inches deep anyway at 'standing' level on a table so that you cannot fall 'into' it cause it is armpit level for them and any buckets of water in the yard are 'kid size pails' so they cannot fall into them.

Mamma_Mia
05-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Honestly I just bought a 3-ring pool....I wasn't going to put more than 2" of water in it. and I'd be watching it when they're in there. But I know what you mean...it's scary! Sprinklers are my real friends :laugh: they get wet & water the grass - bonus!

Dreamalittledream
05-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the reminder! Accidents can happen so quickly. Yes, I pulled put the sprinkler today....they had a blast! I too have a pool...but fill it to max 2 inches and throw all the bath toys in. I make sure that I am sitting right there. Anyone have a baby friendly way to repell mosquitoes?

Momof4
05-25-2012, 04:18 PM
I do stay right beside my little ones when I get the water table filled up. It is tall, but accidents happen. I like to have a mother volunteer to come with us to a splashpad and I have a little helper who is still in school who helps us out on her PD days and that's the day I blow up my pool. I like to have extra eyes and hands with me in these situations.

Momof4
05-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the reminder! Accidents can happen so quickly. Yes, I pulled put the sprinkler today....they had a blast! I too have a pool...but fill it to max 2 inches and throw all the bath toys in. I make sure that I am sitting right there. Anyone have a baby friendly way to repell mosquitoes?

Do you have a place you can plant Citronella plants or Marigolds? They both repel mosquitoes. Also Avon's Skin So Soft is great. I don't have any around my place usually but if I did I would google some natural concoctions. I'd be interested in knowing what you discover.

Inspired by Reggio
05-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Anyone have a baby friendly way to repell mosquitoes?

I find peppermint oil works well.

Mamma_Mia
05-25-2012, 07:29 PM
:laugh: I sell avon :D and in Campaign 15 they will have for the first time in Canada Bug Guard Plus w/ Skin So Soft Deet Free, Repels mosquitos & deer ticks

Dreamalittledream
05-26-2012, 03:26 AM
I find peppermint oil works well.. I tried to find this last night @ Walmart & could only find it in capsule form? Where do you find it?

playfelt
05-26-2012, 07:45 AM
:laugh: I sell avon :D and in Campaign 15 they will have for the first time in Canada Bug Guard Plus w/ Skin So Soft Deet Free, Repels mosquitos & deer ticks

Like the sounds of that. Will be giving it a try for sure. Hoping it smells more like skin so soft than insect repellent too. That would for sure be a nice bonus.

Dreamalittledream
05-28-2012, 11:11 AM
I saw this product on the Avon.com website but it also is SPF 30 (can get it in one that goes on blue)...can you get it in Canada too?
Here is the link to it (it's also 50% off!)...
http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?level1_ id=300&level2_id=303&pdept_id=344&dept_id=421&cat_type=B&pf_id=36449

Mamma_Mia
05-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I saw this product on the Avon.com website but it also is SPF 30 (can get it in one that goes on blue)...can you get it in Canada too?
http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?level1_ id=300&level2_id=303&pdept_id=344&dept_id=421&cat_type=B&pf_id=36449

I wanted to get that one too! but sadly NO it's not available in Canada (yet).

mom-in-alberta
05-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Avon gals... help me out here! For years I have been hearing of people using Skin So Soft to deter bugs. I was given a bottle recently of Avon Skin So Soft Moisturizing Body Spray. It's a pink bottle, smells great (like a perfume that I can't quite place the name of, LoL). Is this the stuff????

PS: I ALWAYS have at least a second pair of eyes when we are playing in the water. It's so scary how quickly that can happen.
Thanks for the reminder!!

mom-in-alberta
05-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Huh... never mind. I just spent a couple minutes browsing the website. I don't even see this product on there. I DO see the Bug Guard stuff. So I presume that's what y'all are talking about.
Okay then. ;)

Sandbox Sally
05-29-2012, 09:46 AM
I am putting up a 12 ft by 3 ft pool in my yard this summer. I guess the key with that one is no kids under 6 without a life jacket!!! It is going over by my side yard, so it will be out of sight unless you walk around the house. Strangely, I do not feel afraid of having this with the daycare kids. They will either not be allowed near it, or they will have approved floatation devices on.

playfelt
05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Does that mean the whole time the kids are playing in the sandbox, kicking a soccer ball, etc they are going to be required to wear a life jacket - will parents or you be providing these. Can you just fence the area off instead.

Sandbox Sally
05-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Does that mean the whole time the kids are playing in the sandbox, kicking a soccer ball, etc they are going to be required to wear a life jacket - will parents or you be providing these. Can you just fence the area off instead.

I could fence it off, but I don't see the need. Perhaps we will, but I can't imagine a scenario where I would leave toddlers alone in a yard with a pool. The door is also equipped with an alarm so that it rings when opened. Enlighten me, please. :)

I have three toddler life jackets. I will supply these.

Mamma_Mia
05-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Avon gals... help me out here! For years I have been hearing of people using Skin So Soft to deter bugs. I was given a bottle recently of Avon Skin So Soft Moisturizing Body Spray. It's a pink bottle, smells great (like a perfume that I can't quite place the name of, LoL). Is this the stuff????

PS: I ALWAYS have at least a second pair of eyes when we are playing in the water. It's so scary how quickly that can happen.
Thanks for the reminder!!

Hey!
Yes Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil Spray and it's the original one (blue/green) that works with the bugs! lol I even got the shower gel and use that on my daughter when we're at the cottage then I spray her clothing with the bath oil. My mom's used it on me when I was her age!

Mamma_Mia
05-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Huh... never mind. I just spent a couple minutes browsing the website. I don't even see this product on there. I DO see the Bug Guard stuff. So I presume that's what y'all are talking about.
Okay then. ;)

it also makes a difference if you're in the USA or Canadian site :)

Skysue
05-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Honestly I just bought a 3-ring pool....I wasn't going to put more than 2" of water in it. and I'd be watching it when they're in there. But I know what you mean...it's scary! Sprinklers are my real friends :laugh: they get wet & water the grass - bonus!

Filling a pool is dangerous but also with a few inches of water you can change the water everyday and disinfect often as well. Little ones love throwing everything and anything they can in pools, water tables etc.

sunnydays
05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
I think if it is an above ground pool that is high enough for them not to be able to climb into and you have a ladder that you can remove during the day, then you will be okay. The only concern then is that you are 100% sure that the ladder has been removed each time you take the kids out to play.

I could fence it off, but I don't see the need. Perhaps we will, but I can't imagine a scenario where I would leave toddlers alone in a yard with a pool. The door is also equipped with an alarm so that it rings when opened. Enlighten me, please. :)

I have three toddler life jackets. I will supply these.

Sandbox Sally
05-29-2012, 12:33 PM
The pool will be on the side of my house. We will be playing in the back of my house. I am still unsure on how the children will run over to the pool on their toddler legs without me seeing them. Then again, I'm sure it'd only cost about $100 bucks to stick a fence up. Shrug.

Bookworm
05-29-2012, 12:51 PM
I actually have a small above ground pool in my backyard. The only access to it is from my deck and it is gated off. The gate also has a padlock. My dck's are not allowed on my deck unless they are with me walking up the steps to the backdoor. Since I have two small children of my own (who are not allowed on the deck without me either), I have no worries about any child getting into my pool. I am super diligent when I'm outside with the kids, and no one is allowed to go off on their own at any time. I also have no toys near the pool so that climbing into any other way is not even possible. I just teach the kids that the deck is off limits, unless we are entering and exiting the house, and then I'm with them.

Inspired by Reggio
05-29-2012, 01:20 PM
I am putting up a 12 ft by 3 ft pool in my yard this summer. I guess the key with that one is no kids under 6 without a life jacket!!! It is going over by my side yard, so it will be out of sight unless you walk around the house. Strangely, I do not feel afraid of having this with the daycare kids. They will either not be allowed near it, or they will have approved floatation devices on.

Make sure you inform your insurance carrier of this and that your home childcare ryder specifically indicates that your property where you operate your business has a pool on it ... some insurance companies will not offer a home childcare ryder if the property has a pool, trampoline or fire pit and others will offer it but your premium will go up due to the increased 'risk' perceived with these backyard items ... if you do not notify your insurance carrier and something happens you could find your policy 'void' as a result :(

I would also check with your new neighborhoods 'bylaws' around backyard pools - many bylaws require pools that cannot be emptied daily to have a fence and locking gate around them?

Sandbox Sally
05-29-2012, 01:30 PM
I would also check with your new neighborhoods 'bylaws' around backyard pools - many bylaws require pools that cannot be emptied daily to have a fence and locking gate around them?

I have. They are allowed. To be clear, our back yard is fenced and has a lock on the gate.

playfelt
05-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Since the drowing here in Orleans a couple years back most licensed agencies have banned homes with pools and many won't even allow a kiddie size pool in their homes. Not sure what the insurance industry view is in terms of have they all taken the same stance or not.

I do find it a bit disturbing that even without having the experience of your own kids around the pool that you are just assuming that it won't be an issue for the daycare kids either. One kid climbing on a trike or being boosted by an older kid to peak in or whatever is all it takes. The risk in lieu of a few feet of fencing is not worth it in my view.

Inspired by Reggio
05-29-2012, 01:53 PM

I have. They are allowed. To be clear, our back yard is fenced and has a lock on the gate.

I know my friends parents got in trouble because they put in a pool in their yard which was already 'fenced and gated' - but turned out they had to have TWO ... because the yard was 'large' and had both the pool and kids equipment for play the pool itself had to be fenced off separate from the rest of the yard even though it was fenced already ... it was an in ground pool though not sure if that was why ... just know some cities have gotten really anal with their pool liability due to the drownings they have had?

I will admit pools and bodies of water and 'children' scare me ... it only takes 20 seconds to drown and you only need a couple inches of water ... so when I think of caring for five children and the number of times a day a child can quickly pop out of my sight even when IN my line of vision as I am scanning them in the backyard cause they are hiding behind a toy or plant or tree and that 'scare' you get until you find them ... adding pooled water to the mix just scares me I'd be having a heart attack everytime those moments arose ... all it takes is for a small distraction of one child scrapping a knee and howling about it and a kid to take advantage of that moment of distraction where you are looking the kid over and cleaning the wound or what not to go check out the cool pool fall in without a sound ... and the fact that the media shares stories like that does not help :(

Sandbox Sally
05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
I have no problem putting fenceboard up along that side of the house. Like I said, it'll probably cost $100 bucks, if that. It wasn't something that I felt necessary until reading the protests here. I am pretty sure that if you are all "disturbed" by my cavalier attitude, it can't be good. I am sure that parents would also pick up on my negligence.

Inspired by Reggio
05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
.... I am pretty sure that if you are all "disturbed" by my cavalier attitude, it can't be good. I am sure that parents would also pick up on my negligence.

I think it is more a 'comfort' level than anything .. comfort with the risk you feel prepared to deal with based on the benefit that risk brings to program ... I imagine many providers and parents who do not 'know/trust' my program would freak out that I have a sensory bin with 2000 marbles in it in my playroom that I have allowed children as young as 18 months to explore. However know the child and their capabilities and trust them not to put them in their mouth and to keep the marbles 'in' the bin during their exploration so that other wee ones remain safe in the playroom - the risk of choking on those is still there cause one could get 'missed' however in reality a child can choke on food too and I still feed them in care and the 'learning' in the marbles is unique and valuable ... that said I have a 5 years old who still rarely gets a turn in it not that he would 'mouth' them but because he cannot follow the safety rules set out for it to keep the marbles in the bin so that they do not pose a danger to the others if one got 'missed' and marbles fly everywhere within 2 minutes of him playing he gets so excited ... you have to know your group and their capabilities as well as your own comfort level and lay out for supervision and so forth.

If your insurance is good with it and it meets the bylaws and all your tees are crossed and dotted to cover any liability issues than your business your choice ... the fact it freaks me or others out is irrelevant ... I know lots of providers in rural areas where it is the norm to not only have pools on their property but they do daycare group swimming as part of their summer program - clientele have no issue with it as this is how they grew up as well ;)

michellesmunchkins
05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Where I used to live we had to have 2 fences as well. We had our regular back yard fence and then bylaw made us put an entire fence around the pool with a pad lock at the top gate. This was all on top of the regular 8 foot fences our yard had for an above ground pool. Durham is really really picky and anal about pools and fencing.

We moved a year ago and now have an inground pool. Needless to say my backyard is COMPLETELY off limits. No daycare children allowed out there at all. Scary to think it only takes a second for something to happen. I know that I watch my dck's ALL the time, but they are kids and things happen. For me, its easier to keep that area of the house off limits.

Sandbox Sally
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Durham is really really picky and anal about pools and fencing.

Well good for them, I guess. I think it's strange that you should have to fence off your own pool in your own yard if that's not your preference, though.

We will be under the municipality of Clarington, and I know that you need your yard fenced and gated, and the fence has to be over a certain height etc. I am guessing though, that their bylaw enforcement team is not all that diligent - during our real estate search, I saw AT LEAST three pools in yards that didn't have any type of fencing up. I was seriously appalled. These are in new home areas w a lot of younger neighbourhood kids. Yipes. No fence. At all.

mom-in-alberta
05-30-2012, 02:06 PM
We have an above ground pool. It's about 5 feet tall, and I think the diameter is about 19 feet? It requires a ladder to enter and exit, and the ladder is removable. The small kids can't even come close to climbing it (the frame doesn't allow for climbing) and the big kids are trained that if they even look at it without my approval, they sit for the afternoon, LoL. When it's not in use, the ladder is placed about 6 feet away, and even my almost 11 year old can't get it into the pool without adult assistance. I understand that some parents may be turned off by it, but I take all the precautions that are necessary.
If we are using the pool, I get the okay from parents in advance, and my hubby is usually the one who takes them in, one at a time. I also have a sister-in-law who is a lifeguard. That helps, because she'll come over and give me a hand sometimes.
I do tend to stick with the little baby pools, emptied daily, and splash mats/sprinklers. Just easier.

Dreamalittledream
06-07-2012, 02:57 PM
http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.aspx?level1_ id=300&level2_id=303&pdept_id=344&dept_id=421&cat_type=B&pf_id=36449. So, I bought this...omg...we all look like shrek!!! The blue certainly does not dissappear...let's hope it dissappears from clothing. Made for some funny pics today.

country girl
06-07-2012, 03:12 PM
If you google "Natural bug repellents" a whole bunch of sites come up showing you how to make them. I did find one at canadian tire a few years back when i was pregnant made by "Off" but with eucalyptus oil i think - it actually worked really well and had no deet!

Mamma_Mia
06-07-2012, 07:57 PM
. So, I bought this...omg...we all look like shrek!!! The blue certainly does not dissappear...let's hope it dissappears from clothing. Made for some funny pics today.

Really?? Thats so weird! I got this one for my DD http://kitcheneron.flyerlan d.ca/products/avon-avon-sun-kids-disappearing-color-sunscreen-product-11886183 and the blue/purple does go away!

Dreamalittledream
06-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Really?? Thats so weird! I got this one for my DD http://kitcheneron.flyerlan d.ca/products/avon-avon-sun-kids-disappearing-color-sunscreen-product-11886183 and the blue/purple does go away!
Maybe I got a bum batch?