PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I am new

BlueRose
05-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I am starting up a home daycare in Ottawa, when my mat-leave is over in November. Does anyone have any advice? I can use all the help I can get. I have two boys of my own and would like to get three more kids.

I would love to hear from you.:)

Thank you,
Valerie

Play and Learn
05-28-2012, 10:49 AM
1. have a manual/handbook & contract (PM me if you'd like some help)
2. have a BACKBONE - and USE IT!!!

That's all!

Welcome! http://www.ccprn.com is awesome - they're in Ottawa. Where abouts are you located in Ottawa?

Yarnlover
05-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Hello,
I am relatively new as well, the best thing for me for sure was finding these forums (these ladies are knowledgable and always helpful with advice) I have gained so much knowledge just researching past topics here!
The other really great resource has been the child care providers resource network "ccprn" (sorry I don't know how to link on my iPad). If you haven't joined yet you are going to be blown away by what they have to offer in terms of resources and education.

Good luck on your new enterprise.

BlueRose
05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
I am in the Lincoln Fields area. You?
I have not joined the ccprn yet, but do plan on doing so soon.

Yarnlover
05-28-2012, 11:41 AM
I am in kanata. I have been to some off ccprn's workshops which are great and I absolutely love their die cutting machine. I made tones of cut outs that we use on our felt board and for crafting, the kids love it and it's so cheap!

Play and Learn
05-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Out in Kemptville, but originally from Nepean. Good luck Valerie!

playfelt
05-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Live in Orleans but both of my girls live in the Lincoln Fields area.

Totally support the idea of joining the CCPRN. If you ever take a felt workshop with Story Time Felts that is me. Always fun meeting people I have met online. Met a lady at my last workshop from one of my boards. It was fun.

Also check into the childcare connection meetings offered. If you go to the ccprn website there is a link to a start up package that has info on getting started that might have some info for you. And the staff there is more than happy to answer questions, show you where in the full wall of resource books to find what you need so do ask. www.ccprn.com

sunnydays
05-28-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm in Ottawa as well and agree with the others that the CCPRN is great! Also, if you can attend playgroups, parks etc where other caregivers hang out, they can be your most valuable resource. I started a little over a year ago and before starting, I talked to a lot of daycare providers in my neighbourhood...I am so glad I did because I learned so much and avoided so many potential problems! Good luck to you! Have you started advertising your spots yet?

BlueRose
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Thank you everyone, you all gave me some good advice.
If any one knows any caregivers in the Lincoln Fields area, I would love to meet with them. I am a little shy and have a hard time just walking up to someone and talking to them, but am working on it. I do go the the playgroup at the early years center on Richmond Rd, with my two boys.