PDA

View Full Version : First Interview: What is the best way to interview the parents?

BlueRose
05-30-2012, 06:18 PM
I have my first interview on Saturday. I am very nervous. I used to be a store manager and interviewed people all the time, sometimes in my sleep... lol. But this is different or is it? Do I interview the same way?;)

I know I need to go over my handbook and fees.
Any advice on what else to ask?

Dreamalittledream
05-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Hello! I too left the world of retail management to open a home daycare! And for me; totally different interview style. For starters; every one of my day home interviews, after the tour, have ended up on the floor of my playroom. I'm down on the child's level and, since it's where I spend most of my day...it's where I'm the most comfortable. I actually do a phone chat first, with the next step being emailing out photos of our play space, both in & out as well as my contract & handbook for them to read beforehand. I find this saves a lot of pressure for them to feel like they need to read this whole pile of info. right then & there. And, if there is some aspect of my policies/procedures etc. they don't like it nixes it right there (has yet to happen). This way, in person I am selling myself, my business and by my questions seeing if they are a good fit. Some questions in phone chat: Full-time/part-time, age, tell me about your child, his/her past daycare/childcare experiences. My interview questions are often tied in amongst chat as we tour the daycare spaces (this is the nap area; does your child have a nap routine at home?) & as we go through our typical day. Some ideas for in person interview questions: Drop off/pick up times, what are their goals for their child in a day home, what are they looking for in a provider, child's strengths, challenges, health issues, daily routine, nap/sleep routine, mealtime routine, how they deal with behaviour issues at home. Hope this all helps!

Dreamalittledream
05-30-2012, 07:04 PM
I took some of my questions from this form (it's an awesome website; glad you found it useful!) http://www.thedaycarelady.c om/About%20Your%20Child .doc

BlueRose
06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
The website you suggested is great. I am working on my contracts now, using hers as examples.
Thanks for giving me ideas on what to ask and talk about. Every time I would sit down to come up with questions my mind would go blank.

I am still very nervous. I have just moved and my daycare area isn't fully set up yet. The mother I am interview said that was fine and not to worry about it, but its so hard not too.

BlueRose
06-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Well the interview went so, so. I think I need some practice. The mother seemed very happy. She liked all my polices. Her little girl and my son got along great. She asked for a copy of my contract so her husband could read it. Later that night I got am email from her asking if she and her husband could stop by the next night, so her husband could met with me.

The husband seemed more interested in talking to my husband about Star Wars then meeting with me, but I didn't mind. I had the chance to watch how they were with their daughter and how their daughter was around my two kids. They had my contract all signed by the time they got here. I was very happy with what I saw over all. The husband did have some good questions for me, wants he remembered why he was really here.

The girl starts on July 3rd. She is my first daycare kid. Wish me luck.

playfelt
06-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Great news Valerie. Getting that first child is always a hard one.

colleend
07-31-2012, 10:04 AM
I know how you feel! I have my first interview tonight and my home is not set up how I intend yet as we are developing our basement for the play area to be down there. All of my day home stuff and toys that aren't my son's are all packed away!

BlueRose
07-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Good luck with your interview. Just remember to breath. I take a deep breath before they get to my door (I am in an apartment, so I have a min. before they get here). My daycare wasn't fully set up either. I just explained that I had just moved and told them what I was planning on doing.