PDA

View Full Version : Neighbour popped in for a tour & copy of contract!

Dreamalittledream
05-31-2012, 10:58 AM
I am here thinking...crap what have I done? So my neighbour (we live on a deadend street of 3 houses), really nice people, stopped me on the way home on our walk. They are foster parents; have been for many many years (they're in their 60s). She says that she really likes my 'set up' and that she'd like to do the same (she wants to service teachers only too so they'll have the summers off). So, she came in for a tour. I have a hanging file on my wall & in one slot are paper clipped packages of my handbook/contract...makes it easier for me so I'm not scrambling at the last minute when an interview is set up. She asks if she can take one. Stupid me, I say sure (I add that it will be a good guideline for her...in other words please don't copy the darned thing word for word). I am fortunate that I am full & have never had to advertise...God Bless word of mouth. She wants me to pass the word put about her too. I guess I just really have to not even think about how another home daycare 1 house away will effect my business in the future, but have faith that having a other person to share/visit with through the day & a possible back up will be good things. Whew, feel better having vented that out.

Sandbox Sally
05-31-2012, 11:47 AM
I would relax. I understand your apprehension, but the fact that you're full and have never had to advertise, to me, means you're doing everything right, and will continue to be full.

My neighbour in our new house is a daycare provider too. I was upset at first, but now I look at is as possibly advantageous - maybe we can trade off sick care if neither of us are full...etc.

I don't think it's a big deal if she even copies your contract, as if parents are interviewing more than one provider, you will present a united front on all the points in your contract if she's using the same one as you. :)

Dreamalittledream
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks Alphaghetti! Yes, I feel so much more relaxed about it now. I think it was more about my materials than anything. We work so hard to create these documents, customizing them to our needs, get the wording just right. And to think someone is borrowing one to actually possibly take business away from me? But I sat back and thought about how many of you have helped me out and how the GOOD and right thing is to help and support each other.

sunnydays
05-31-2012, 12:49 PM
When I was starting out, a daycare provider provided me with a copy of her contract to use as a guideline and I was so thankful! I also recieved so much guidance and support from the providers in my neighbourhood....nob ody seemed to see me as competition to guard their secrets from. I am so thankful and so I will do the same for any new provider who is starting up. I think we have to support each other and know that we each get the families who are the right fit for us. Just because you live on the same street does not mean you are identical and you will likely each attract different families. I think you did the right thing :)

sunnydays
05-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Also, if she fills up, she is likely to refer clients your way if you have a space and vice versa. It is nice to have that!

Momof4
05-31-2012, 04:48 PM
When I first needed to prepare my contract two other caregivers in my city emailed their contracts to me. I took the guideline and some of their wording and appreciated the help so much, but tried really hard to change as much as possible so it was my work and pertained to the way I run my daycare. I think you should suggest to the woman that she should do that so she isn't plagerizing your work. You can say it in a nice way.

Mamma_Mia
05-31-2012, 11:11 PM
When I first needed to prepare my contract two other caregivers in my city emailed their contracts to me. I took the guideline and some of their wording and appreciated the help so much, but tried really hard to change as much as possible so it was my work and pertained to the way I run my daycare. I think you should suggest to the woman that she should do that so she isn't plagerizing your work. You can say it in a nice way.

Ditto exactly...some awsome ladies from here helped me out :flower: