PDA

View Full Version : Strange strange call today...

monkeymama
06-05-2012, 12:47 PM
had the strangest call today needing care for...TOMORROW! who needs care the next day unless they got kicked out of another place, right? well mom kinda skimmed over the details, daughter sounds great but who knows...tbh, mom could barely put a sentence together which doesnt give me much hope...i facebooked her and WOW :unsure:

I am meeting them tonight...trying to give her benefit of the doubt....

anyone else have someone call needing care for the next day and it turned out succesful? anyone lol

Inspired by Reggio
06-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I will cross my fingers and toes for you - I personally will not do that short a transition into program - but yes I have had a client in the past who called me on a Friday needing 'immediate care' for Monday because she'd had a bad experience at her current provider and wanted out and I interviewed her over the weekend - not something I normally do either however the child's AGE was perfect for my group at the time and I wanted to fill my space cause it is hard to find older kids - however I talked them into staying home for a week using some vacation time and doing some 'visits' before starting full time in my program. The kid did awesome and the clients were with me for years.

Lou
06-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Good luck!!
I would definitely implement a 1 month trial 'just in case' lol.Hopefully, it works out!

playfelt
06-05-2012, 12:59 PM
I have had it before with mixed results. Some it was because they were leaving their previous care and while that also meant I didn't want them either, some were kicked out for issues that weren't a problem for me like a 15 month old that still needed a morning nap but caregiver wanted to do playgroups and of course child cried the whole time.

Mostly they have been calls from single moms that finally land a job and have to start as soon as possible. Most caregivers won't hold a space without a holding fee and if the mom is job hunting then they don't need care till they get a job. I have gotten calls to interview for care but have turned them down not wanting to waste my time on something that might not happen hoping to have my space filled before the person wanted it anyways so their only hope is often who will take the child right away.

As long as all the paperwork is filled out and brought back I don't have a problem starting the child right away. While sometimes a bit flaky they can also be your best parents in that they are so grateful for the assistance they do whatever it takes to keep you.

jec
06-05-2012, 01:04 PM
I've had calls for next day care and I've told them that the process of finding the right daycare families is just as important as them finding the right daycare. I need to have an interview... good luck on the interview and ask a lot of questions. There is a thread on questions to ask in here so take a peak and arm yourself with some good questions other than a yes or no answer from the parents.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but also put in the trail period as Lou mentioned to protect yourself in case. Just like Reggio says, they may not be happy with their current provider and who knows what situation is and they may be removing her from a bad situation? Maybe her simming over details was so she could give you more details in person.
Ask her for more of the details if she doesn't offer any more info.

Good luck- have my fingers crossed for you!

monkeymama
06-05-2012, 01:25 PM
thanks everyone! i will be implementing a trial period as i do with all my kids...i am just trying to be optimistic and honestly, it is a FT space with amazing hours so i am hoping it works out! i havent gotten a call looking for FT in months :(

Momof4
06-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Well, I always like to give people a chance in case their daycare provider really let them down for some reason. But I would ask a ton of questions and be very suspicious. Did I mention I'm also a very paranoid person. :o

mom-in-alberta
06-05-2012, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't accept anyone sight unseen, that is for sure. And she would have to have a pretty convincing story even to get an interview. If it was sketchy, I would turn it down.
But if things seemed on the up and up, I would give it a chance. Some people do get put into a pinch sometimes!

monkeymama
06-06-2012, 08:05 AM
ok so the interview went well...mom is very very young and brought her mom with her who asked most of the questions...she had interviewed for a job, didnt get it, and then they called and said the other person fell through and they wanted her to start tomorrow...she was very nice and the little girl was so precious...they were very impressed with my set-up and wanted to sign on right away...so we decided to start gradually into FT...grandma is going to take her a few days and ill start with a few days and gradually increase until shes here every day, as well as a trial period...i am glad i decided to give her a chance i am hoping it turns out to be a good decision!

Crayola kiddies
06-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Yay .... I love to hear happy ending like that .... It just goes to show you not everyone is a freak ; ) .....since we are talking about happy things ..... My email has been has been going crazy with inquires.... I have one spot for sure opening up in sept and maybe two..... I have one family with two boys and their fingers crossed I will have two spots in the fall, I have another email last night for two families(friends) both moved into my town and both have a 2 and a 6 yr old ( that's kind of creepy actually) and they want 4 spots unfortunately I can't help them unless they want to split up the kids as I have no school age spots. So things are looking busier !

monkeymama
06-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Yay .... I love to hear happy ending like that .... It just goes to show you not everyone is a freak ; ) .....since we are talking about happy things ..... My email has been has been going crazy with inquires.... I have one spot for sure opening up in sept and maybe two..... I have one family with two boys and their fingers crossed I will have two spots in the fall, I have another email last night for two families(friends) both moved into my town and both have a 2 and a 6 yr old ( that's kind of creepy actually) and they want 4 spots unfortunately I can't help them unless they want to split up the kids as I have no school age spots. So things are looking busier !

Yeah! Glad things are looking up for you :)