PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Gifts - GULP!

Spixie33
06-06-2012, 05:58 AM
It is that time of year again where I am thinking about what to gift my children's school teachers.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I used up the Tim Horton's Gift Card already as a Christmas gift idea. Should I go gift card or present?
Any ideas? I am so bad at thinking of gifts and I don't want to spend too much either. $10-$15 per teacher maybe

jec
06-06-2012, 06:07 AM
We are making homemade bath salts for the teachers this year-something they hopefully will use and not have on a shelf for a few days and then put into a box with the many other gifts. My daughter is making a special card to attach on them with my help to put ingredients and name. We went to the dollar store and got brown paper bags for her to decorate and of course she needed a big bow to put on it to finish the look

Inspired by Reggio
06-06-2012, 06:11 AM
I empathize with the challenge of trying to 'thank' a teacher for an awesome year .... they work hard and the ones who go above and beyond you want to really show them you noticed .... having worked in centre care in classrooms of 24 children that changed regularly I feel the need to share that as a teacher to many children you can only make use of so many knick knacks, candles, bath products, worlds best teacher mugs or other items parents typically go to for gift ideas in the under $15 range

Personally if I felt the need to 'gift' something outside of a nicely written card I would opt for either a gift card for something they would use - Tim Hortons, Dinner & Movie, Spa service if female or even something like Chapters or Scholars Choice or I might even go with a donation to somewhere that the teacher might feel passionate about in the teachers 'honor' ... so if they are an animal lover to the humane society, an environmentalist plant a tree, a humanitarian donate to help send a child to school in Africa or what not .... just something that is not a THING that needs to be stored or EATEN cause one can only consume so many boxes of chocolates ;)

You could also 'pool resources' if you have multiple teachers and get like a COW for a family in Africa as a symbolic pay it forward thank you for helping your child to grow and thrive you've bought a valuable resource for another family less fortunate.

Play and Learn
06-06-2012, 07:21 AM
My sister gives her sons teachers a note pad that is personalized. So it would say something like: "from the desk of Ms. Smith". So far we know these teachers have appreciated these gifts - as they use them ALL the time! lol

You can go to www.Vistaprint.ca and http://www.thestationerystu dio.com/notepads/ are some ideas....

playfelt
06-06-2012, 08:22 AM
A gift card from something like Staples lets the teacher buy something for herself or for her classroom for next year that would make her life easier.

Even a Canadian Tire or Home Depot card lets her buy gardening or other outdoor things for the summer.

My mom was a teacher and still has a drawer of avon she will never use all of before she dies for sure - it was the in thing to give back then.

And PLEASE>>>>>>>> do not give the teacher a framed picture of your child - teacher is usually quite glad in the grand scheme of things to say goodbye to the kids and looking forward to ne kids for next year. It's not like she is going to hang it on the wall with her grandchildren's pictures. Mom has a box of them she was never sure what to do with cause it seemed wrong to toss them out somehow. She did use some of the frames.

I have done a plant like one of the miniature roses that looked nice to give as a plant but then could be planted outside if they wanted to or just enjoyed in the house or regifted if they chose.

I like the personalized stationary idea and you could do notepads, writing paper, etc.

I make greeting cards and that is what I often did was a box of just general cards - flowers, squiggles, etc. that were blank inside so the teacher could use them for letters, thank yous, etc. and they were well received.

Sharon

Play and Learn
06-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Oh, to add...my sister has also made cards for the teacher to use. She makes cards and is a consultant (Stampin' UP!). So she'll gift a bunch of cards (about 10-15) and give that as a gift.

country girl
06-06-2012, 08:33 AM
They sell really nice bookmarks (silver with butterflies etc) at any type of gift shop usually for about $5 and then a chapters card would be nice. Most teachers like to read & this is something they will actually get use of.

Mamma_Mia
06-06-2012, 09:42 AM
My cousin is a teacher and wont look at a book! LOL she says 'I have to stare at these all year, get away!" :laugh:

one I LOVED was a "Summer Kit"....a beach towel, gossip magazine, sunscreen & sunglasses...tie it together and attach a card and you are good to go!

Check out http://pinterest.com/search/?q=end+of+year+teach er for some great ideas!!

Mamma_Mia
06-06-2012, 09:46 AM
oooo or a S'more gift like this one:

http://pinterest.com/pin/14777504997520920/

Mamma_Mia
06-06-2012, 09:51 AM
http://pinterest.com/pin/99853316708278471/

I'm having too much fun with this :D

Spixie33
06-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Wow you guys are creative. Fantastic ideas. Now I went from being hopeless with no ideas to overwhelmed and not sure which one I should narrow it down to.

Those notepads sound great...love love love the Smores and candy jars Mamma Mia.

You are all so brilliant :yes::flower:

Dreamalittledream
06-06-2012, 11:40 AM
http://pinterest.com/pin/99853316708278471/

I'm having too much fun with this :D. Don't you just LOVE Pinterest? Thanks for posting those fantastic ideas!

Mamma_Mia
06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
. Don't you just LOVE Pinterest? Thanks for posting those fantastic ideas!

ahem....Hello, my name is Mamma_Mia....and I'm a Pinterest Addict :yes: please do not try to help me!!! lol

Spixie33
06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
ahem....Hello, my name is Mamma_Mia....and I'm a Pinterest Addict :yes: please do not try to help me!!! lol

ROFL - so true !

bright sparks
06-20-2012, 02:17 PM
And PLEASE>>>>>>>> do not give the teacher a framed picture of your child - teacher is usually quite glad in the grand scheme of things to say goodbye to the kids and looking forward to ne kids for next year. It's not like she is going to hang it on the wall with her grandchildren's pictures. Mom has a box of them she was never sure what to do with cause it seemed wrong to toss them out somehow. She did use some of the frames.

Sharon

This made me chuckle, thanks :)