PDA

View Full Version : Caring for children in other parents home....

country girl
06-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi there,
I am opening my own home daycare however as with a lot of people, am having trouble filling up for the summer. I have had lots of interest & confirmed a couple for September. I have found someone who is looking for care for there 2 children for the summer only in their home. Does anyone know what a good rate of pay would be? This seems like a good way to get going, get some references under my belt and as they only want the care for the summer, it works out good for me as long as I can take my two kids with me. I am currently working a full time job until I can get going & am paying for daycare for my two kids which is getting harder & harder to afford. Any advice would be great on this!
Thanks! :D

Play and Learn
06-06-2012, 09:17 AM
This would be called a nanny. Just depends on what your experience is, and what people charge in the area. Usually it's an hourly fee when I was a nanny. When I left 4 years ago I was getting paid $14/hour for 2 children. BUT...I have experience working with children, have my first aid & CPR, and ECE. BUT, again, it varies per town/community.

Check out www.nannies4hire.com and www.canadiannanny.ca for what people are charging in your areas.

Good luck!

Cocoon
06-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Agree above. If you are working at someone elses house then you are a nanny and you will be paid by hourly rate. I wouldn't know how much you will get as it depends on the city, area you live in. I don't know how things are in Canada as I never worked as a nanny here but in Europe if you bring your own kids to work, you will be paid less.

And also here families are expecting a lot! from their nannies. Like cooking for the whole family, cleaning the whole house etc. It's more like a housekeeper/nanny. You should talk to them everything in details to avoid future misunderstandings!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

country girl
06-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks! Yes I will definately be asking what the expectations are. The only reason I am even considering it is because I do not want my girls in daycare over the summer (before & after care becomes full time rates!) and this is strictly a temporary job to get me through until my own dck's start in the fall.

Play and Learn
06-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Also, just as I was thinking about it more - make sure they have a contract laid out for you (with all the details), and you both sign - are you able to leave whenever?!

As Cocoon stated, most Canadian families expect a tonne from Nannies! One family I worked with (3 school-aged boys) I made lunch, and kept the first floor & basement tidy (they had a cleaning lady every 2nd week), once a week made the boys dinner, helped with homework/piano practicing, did laundry for the family of 5, and played with the boys when they were home. It was a sweet ass job for $14/hour. I had 3 weeks PAID holidays, and PAID sick days. I signed with them for a year.
The second family was with 2 children (ages 2 & 3), at $14/hour, and had paid holidays (2 weeks at Christmas), and paid sick days. Signed with them until I found a f/t job (it was once a week on Fridays when I wasn't in School). I was only to entertain the children, and feed them lunch. Didn't have to do housework (minor cleaning up after the lunch & kids), or laundry!

country girl
06-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks Play and Learn....one other question. The only way this will work is if I can take my 2 girls with me. She has some concerns with this which I have tried to address. When you did it, did you take your kids with you? If so, what where the challenges with it. My oldest is close in age to one of her kids & my youngest is pretty independent. I have assured her that I would have no problems taking care of all 4, would obviously clean up after them and would supply what my children need for the day. I also have backup for my girls should one of them get sick so I would not miss days due to kids illness. I also wanted her to understand that while there are obvious benefits to me taking my kids with me, it is also challenging for me as well for obvious reasons. I have heard of others taking their kids with them and understand her concerns however this will only work if I can take them otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Play and Learn
06-07-2012, 10:31 AM
I had no kids of my own back then (only have one in my belly currently!) - and wasn't married yet! So I am not really sure!

IMO....if she won't take you without your kids, don't do it! As you stated before, you're doing this to stay with YOUR children!
What is the rate that they're offering you? Did they offer to feed your children while their children eat?

country girl
06-07-2012, 10:39 AM
She is offering $12/hour 40 to 44 hours a week (8 hour days). It really is worth it for me to do it even if it's a little inconvenient taking the kids from home every day etc., I would be taking home way more than what I am taking home now having to pay out for daycare. But I am absolutely not doing it unless I can take my kids. I will probably have my in-laws take the girls one or two times per week just to give them a break from the travel etc.
We haven't gotten as far as feeding discussion yet - still trying to get over the kid hurdle lol. If she agrees with the kids coming then i will make up a list of other points to discuss including food etc.

Cocoon
06-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Yayyyy Congrats! Play and Learn :)

Cocoon
06-07-2012, 11:06 AM
I think $12an hour is very good especially if you can take your kids along with you. Is the salary gross or net? Tell her why you are doing this temp. and emphasise that that your children will not interfere anything as you have a back up for your kids if your kids fell sick( which you already did but say it again as I'm sure her concerns would be how would you handle if your kids are ill or will her kids get enough attention when your kids are around). Can you leave your kids to your back up once in two weeks for example? If you can tell her that you are planning to do that too time to time? Well I hope you will get it as it seems a perfect fit for you. Good luck.

Crayola kiddies
06-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Congrats play and learn ..... When's the due date?

Bookworm
06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Congrats play and learn!

Mamma_Mia
06-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I had no kids of my own back then (only have one in my belly currently!)!

YAY!!! Congratulations!!!

Play and Learn
06-07-2012, 02:41 PM
end of Oct.

Sorry for hijacking!!!

country girl
06-07-2012, 02:45 PM
lol Play and Learn....no worries & congrats to you! :thumbsup: