PDA

View Full Version : Your input would be appreciated.

Bookworm
06-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Okay, so this is the letter that I have written for the twins that I am terminating. Please let me know if I need to change anything or if it is fine the way it is.

Dear ------ and -----,
This letter is to inform you that the hours of operation at Ashleigh’s Daycare are changing to 7:30- 5:30 pm as of July 1st, 2012. I realize that you require care until 6:30-7:00 pm, but I am no longer able to provide these hours after the above mentioned date. I fear that the extended hours are beginning to have a negative impact on my family, and I feel that in order to rectify the problem, I need to stick to my original hours of operation.
I am sorry for the inconvenience to you and your family; however, this is something I must do. Your children are truly lovely little boys, but I have noticed lately that they are getting upset when the other children leave for the day, and they must stay here longer. I think maybe finding a daycare closer to home might be a better option for them, so they are not in care for more time than they need to be. I am honoured that you like my daycare enough to keep them here after you have moved, but this may be the best for everyone involved.
Also, I spoke to you both recently about the deposit that is still owed. Please keep that deposit money and just pay me weekly until you leave. You will also notice that I have returned the deposit cheque that I have been holding for you.

Sincerely,

Ashleigh

Sandbox Sally
06-06-2012, 11:59 AM
I think it's great, but I really wouldn't put anything about negative behaviour. No point. I would take out that entire section where it says,

"but I have noticed lately that they are getting upset when the other children leave for the day, and they must stay here longer. I think maybe finding a daycare closer to home might be a better option for them, so they are not in care for more time than they need to be. I am honoured that you like my daycare enough to keep them here after you have moved, but this may be the best for everyone involved.

I wouldn't suggest anything to them about their future plans, or what impact the extra hours are having on their boys. Just keep it simple. Do compliment the boys, but that's as far as I would take it.

Good luck!

Bookworm
06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks Alphaghetti! I was uncertain about that part, so I will take it out.

Here's what I changed it to:

I am sorry for the inconvenience to you and your family; however, this is something I must do. Your children are truly lovely little boys, and I love caring for them. I am honoured that you like my daycare enough to keep them here after you have moved, but I unfortunately can no longer accommodate the hours you need.

dodge__driver11
06-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Tis is a letter I wrote to a family that needed extended hours:

April 19, 2012

Dear_____________,

It has been a pleasure getting to know your family and working with you. However, I will be unable to provide weekend daycare beginning June 1, 2012 as it is no longer feasible for my family situation. I am more than happy to continue providing you daycare services Monday-Friday until 7:30 PM.

Because_____would be coming Wednesday-Friday from June 1, 2012 forward, (as your current schedule states) if you accept the new arrangement your fee effective May 30, 2012 will be $400.00; which is the part time rate for 3 full days per week. Any additional hours (From Monday-Friday until 7:30pm only) will be subject to a $7 per hour charge as stated in your original contract.

The additional hours are subject to child/caregiver ratio and availability.

As well, if the new arrangement is deemed suitable a new contract will need to be signed. We can arrange to do such once a decision to continue with care has been reached. Please contact me if you need any assistance in locating a replacement for Saturday’s or have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely Yours,

Dodge

Sandbox Sally
06-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Ashleigh, I think that's perfect. :)

Crayola kiddies
06-06-2012, 12:21 PM
I think it sounds good Ashleigh

Bookworm
06-06-2012, 07:21 PM
So, I gave the dad the letter at pick up, but also told him face to face. About 30 minutes after he left I got a phone call from his wife, saying that she will leave work early during the week to be here by 5:30 and make up the hours on the weekend. She was pretty much rushing to get the words out and sounded very eager on the phone to have me accept her new commitment. I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt, and said that it would work for me, but I would not work any later than 5:30pm. We'll see how this goes...

Thanks to you all for your input. I appreciate it.

Inspired by Reggio
06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I think your letter with the ammended ended sounded awesome!

Isn't it amazing how when you put your foot down to working within a 'reasonable day' suddenly they can 'make it work' ;)

I remember when I amended my hours to 7:30 - 4:30 for my normal daily fee and started charging additional fee for 'extended hours' if you needed care before 7:30 or after 4:30 - amazingly suddenly every single one of my clients who had been slowly using over 9 hours of care a day suddenly were able to arrange their drop off and pick up to stay within the 'normal daily fee' ... I find that the more comfortable clients become in your program they more they feel it is ok to leave their child there even when it is not 'needed' but just 'easier for them' ... when I worked in centre care it was NORMAL for most children to be there from open to close regardless of parents work hours - parents would use the extra time to run errands, go to the gym, go home and clean the house and so forth 'child free' cause it was easier ... but if you put more $$$$ on it or threaten to terminate suddenly they snap back to the original agreement :rolleyes:

Crayola kiddies
06-06-2012, 08:39 PM
That's terrific..... You got what you wanted and you don't have to fill two spots !! Win win for you!