PDA

View Full Version : I could seriously CRY here...

Sandbox Sally
06-07-2012, 02:46 PM
I know there have been past posts on this, but I really just need to vent to my daycare girls:

have just received my THIRD email from potential clients in my new town claiming that they can get more affordable care elsewhere. The worst part is that every time I read one of these emails, it reads nastily, and I feel like they are accusing me of gouging them somehow. What am I asking for, except what any other type of worker wants - a reasonable wage and an occasional day off?

I have done my research, and I am charging middle of the road rates for REPUTABLE daycares. Problem is, I am starting to get the feeling that there are a lot of warehousers and kraft dinner slingers in my new area.

I just sent the following email - Unfortunately, with daycare, as with most things, you get what you pay for. Hot dogs and Kraft dinner are cheap and easy meals. Many of the cheaper home daycare providers will give inexpensive processed foods and snacks, and do very little with the children outside of making sure they are safe. I do more than this, and without wishing to sound arrogant, I feel that every child I care for deserves more than this as well. I run a quality program, and am very proud to be able to say that. In order to provide quality care as well as healthy, nutritious foods, I have to pay for it, making my overhead higher than those providers who charge $25 or $30 per day. I take the children on outings which often requires petrol for my van and sometimes admission charges, all of which I absorb into my daycare budget. I also provide craft supplies, baby wipes, playpens, safety certified car seats, BPA-free bibs and dishes, and everything else a child will need in the course of a day, outside of clothing and diapers. I have additional insurance on my vehicles and on my home and business as well, should anything (heaven forbid) ever happen. I do this for added parental peace of mind. I also provide full tax receipts, as I claim every cent that I earn from my home daycare. I don't think very many of the lower priced daycares do much, if any of these things. If I charged $30 per day, I'd go broke. When it comes to certain things, I think what's best is not always necessarily available for the best price.

I'm starting to get nervous. I am also starting to worry that I am going to get a bad reputation as the bitchy overpriced daycare lady.

I have five interviews lined up, but one is for summer care only, one is for before/after, and two are part timers. The other doesn't want to start until November.

I need hugs.:no:

country girl
06-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Cheer up Alphaghetti! I am just starting out and seriously considered lowering my rates as right now there aren't alot of people looking for daycare in my area however the one thing I've learned from this site is you get what you pay for! I saw an advertisement the other day for someone opening a daycare charging $25/day!!!!! (which is not even close to normal in my area - $35 to $40 is the norm around here) People that want really cheap care are probably the same people that are going to leave you high and dry in the end but make lots of crazy demands. I had an interview with a couple last week who never batted an eye at my rates which was great while i've had others try to cut deals - 3 for the price of 2 etc...very frustrating & while tempting as i'm just starting and desperate for clients, in the end they would probably be more of a headache then anything!
The good ones will come along soon enough....and want the best care possible for their children!

BlueRose
06-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Sending you a hug.
I am sure that you will fill your spots with some great kids who have parents who care enough to pay for a good provider. Just give it some time (I know its easier said then done).

Cocoon
06-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Here is a big hug from me. Don't be upset. When I first started I did not get any calls or emails for a while. And I did get those emails too. If I felt like responding I just said "thank you for letting me know and good luck with your hunt" To be honest, I don't care what they think. This is my price and I'm not going to explain why I charge this or what cost what as it is none of their business. They will understand why I charge this much when I tell them what I do with the kids and what I feed them.

Hang in there. You are just new to the area and people don't know you yet. Keep advertising and hopefully, ideal clients will come soon:)

Good Luck(not that you need it :) )

apples and bananas
06-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Stick to your guns! You said it all in the email. You have an excellent program! To lower your rates you would be attracting the wrong client. The same client who is ok with kraft dinner and hot dogs in front of the tv is the same parent who can't hold a job, changes hours all the time, picks up late, drops off late, forgets the diapers when you run out and doesn't help with discipline.

You're better off without them! Wait for the good ones. You'll land one soon I'm sure.

michellesmunchkins
06-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Its much harder out here Alpha, there are so many charging the $25 per day...at the end of the day the parents who just want a 'babysitter' will go with those lower priced places. Those who want a QUALITY daycare program will pay the average cost out here (which is 30-35/day). Its frustrating that so many parents make it all down to dollars and cents. They are the ones who will lose, not you. Hang in there and some good families will come your way.

I'm not too far from where you are moving so if you want to chat PM me :)

Emily3
06-07-2012, 04:13 PM
HUGS!!!! So sorry things are starting off a bit shaky in your new neighborhood. I'm sure it's especially hard to deal with cheapskates in the burbs when you are already used to getting paid more in the city! Keep your head up....it just might take longer to find your perfect families but they are out there!

Momof4
06-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Big hugs from me too Alpha. They will find you - the perfect families who will appreciate you. It just takes a lot longer. First you have to kiss the frogs before you find the prince, yadda yadda. Keep your head up high and believe in yourself. Luck!

Sandbox Sally
06-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Thank you all. As an update, the woman who I sent the above email to replied that she understands everything I have said, and could we meet on X day at X time? :p

dodge__driver11
06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Alpha there is a lot of that in my daycare area too, and it makes me want to cry as well because like you I provide so much more then kd.

Like when I posted about the lady who got care for her 10 mo ft for $450.00/month, that made me so mad.... I cried too....

If I was in your area we'd go for a drink.

Chin up love.

Bookworm
06-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Hugs to you! Sorry that things are difficult right now. Hopefully things fall in place soon.
That's kinda funny that she emailed you back for an interview. Your email must have made her look at daycare from a different perspective, hopefully. Here's to hoping she is everything you are looking for in a client, and that she decides to sign on.

Skysue
06-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Have you considered a price to quote to clients without reciepts? When they come for an interview say my rates are $38.00 a day with reciepts and $30.00 a day without? If you can't beat them join them 1/2 way.

Does your ad say this in the info line so you can ween out the "CHEAP" daycare clients?

I know people will come for quality over cheap daycare you just haven't met them yet!

Breath

You will meet them soon, I just know it! I wouldn't send anymore e-mails like that though as these kinds of people will never get it! Or amybe they will, glad to hear she wants an interview! You are better than them so rise above it!

HUGS

sunnydays
06-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Have you considered a price to quote to clients without reciepts? When they come for an interview say my rates are $38.00 a day with reciepts and $30.00 a day without? If you can't beat them join them 1/2 way.

Does your ad say this in the info line so you can ween out the "CHEAP" daycare clients?

I know people will come for quality over cheap daycare you just haven't met them yet!

Breath

You will meet them soon, I just know it! I wouldn't send anymore e-mails like that though as these kinds of people will never get it! Or amybe they will, glad to hear she wants an interview! You are better than them so rise above it!

HUGS

Although I understand your sentiment and I know that many daycare providers do this, I would NEVER have an agreement to not provide reciepts! This is actually illegal and even if the person agrees to it, they have a legal right to ask for reciepts come tax time...or report you to CRA. Alpha, I think it's great that you answered the email as you did...obviously it worked as you got an interview out of it! sometimes parents just don't understand at all what kind of costs we have or how much more it costs to run a quality program versus the cheapo operations. I am crossing my fingers for you :)

Sunflower
06-07-2012, 09:10 PM
First of all((hugs)) to you, I KNOW how trying it can be to be brushed aside for cheaper care.
I am in Quebec and here, if you have an unlicensed daycare the average price per day is $ 25 !!!!
If you are licensed it's $ 33 per day but here parents are subsidized if they get a spot in a licensed daycare so they only pay $7 !!!
When I first opened I was private and charged $25 per day, it seriously took me months to finally fill spots. I had people say $25 was too much and go with providers who charged $20 per day.
At first I felt defeated but after a while I realized I was WAY better than those daycares and if the parents were too ignorant to realize that then too bad. I didn't need those kinds of parents here anyways.
You should be proud that you provide quality care and don't worry, there ARE people out there willing to pay for it :yes::yes:

dodge__driver11
06-07-2012, 09:19 PM
I would never do under the table for the reasons kanga stated :( I think its just better to keep it above board

mom-in-alberta
06-08-2012, 01:50 AM
<<BIIIIIIGGGG HUUUUGGGGS>> :(
That sucks, but you had a great response, and it seems like she understood. I know it's so hard to remember, but you WILL find the right families. And in the end, you'll be glad that you're working with parents whose children are more than just an expenditure.
"Fill 'er up vibes" to you!!!

jec
06-08-2012, 05:42 AM
((((Hugs))))
When I started up my daycare here, I experienced the same!! Seems like every other house is charging less but offers less as well with more kids.
It's taken me about 9 months with having to terminate one family to rebuild after we moved. Seems talking to other providers who have established daycares....that move, have to rebuild just like someone starting off again.
Stick to your guns- you offer quality care which again soon you will have your reputation as an excellent daycare provider to back you up again!!
Don't know if this will help but I found that there were sooooo many in my area and when I posted on Kijiji ( which is where they do in this area) my web site was just getting stripped of ideas and showing up on the other provider's sites/advertisements. So I had to think outside the box to attract new clients. I changed my way of advertising and posted that anyone can paint a playroom, fill it with toys and have someone create a web site. The best way to know a provider is through references. I got a few past and my current 2 famlies at the time to write me a testimonial for my site- putting that forward- I got more calls. Maybe it will work for you too?
Good luck on your interview with this lady again
Keep positive- hard to do when your getting so many doors slammed but you know your worth every penny.