PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Agency

SweetLilies
06-11-2012, 01:34 PM
I am trying to get myself organized with new contracts and a handbook of my own to go private and leave the agency I have been with for 11 years. I am wondering if I should keep the agency rates, or lower them a little, which still means an increase for me since I will no longer be handing over a portion to the agency.

My other question is what are the going rates for rural Alberta?

Thank you for all your input.

playfelt
06-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Congratulations on making the big step and know that we are here to answer questions no matter what they are - the no question is too silly rule totally applies - we answer them all on this forum.

I'm in Ontario but the best thing I have found to do when setting rates is to go to the homepage for daycare bear and then put your postal code in the search box as if looking for care. You will get a list of daycare providers starting with those closest to you. Looking at what they are charging, what they are offering, their education, their setups for any that have pictures posted will give you an idea of what the norms are for your area.

When I left the agency I was with I started with a rate that was lower than what the agency chaged parents but more than what I was getting from the agency. This was basically what most in the agency were charging so I was right on par with others.

One of the selling points was that I was able to say I had agency experience and knew the rules and regulation and parents liked that - the awareness of safety, healthy meals, adequate programming, etc.

Inspired by Reggio
06-11-2012, 02:55 PM
I agree with checking the going private rate and setting yours based on your program and experience while remaining competitive ... When I was with an agency I charged less than the agency I was with for private arrangements because I got to keep it all - I can make more privately but its still $10-15 a day cheaper for clients to go privately than with an agency - and they are getting the same program either way ;)

SweetLilies
06-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I tried the postal code thing, and I could only find one private day home somewhat near me (not really lol). She charges less than what I am getting now from the agency and I don't want to go that low. I wish there were more listed so I could compare.

playfelt
06-11-2012, 06:07 PM
With that in mind, is one of your reasons for leaving the agency that they aren't able to place children with you or that the age restrictions hinder you in some way. I ask that because there may also be a lower demand for care in your area if there aren't too many caregivers in the area.

Daycare bear is the only place where I have the amount I charge listed. But also look on kijiji for what would be the nearest main city and put your area in the search box and see if it brings up other caregivers advertising for your area. while it might not tell you price it might give you some names of people to contact that might be willing to share info with a fellow caregiver and/or plan things together with.

SweetLilies
06-11-2012, 08:09 PM
I live in a well populated rural area where there are very few day homes. Only once in all the years I have been doing this have I been desperate for kids. All of the families I have now have not come to me through the agency. Its been word of mouth, Kijiji and ads at the local school. All the children I have are usually here for the long term.

The reason I want to leave the agency is that they went through the accreditation process a couple of years ago and the paperwork we have to do and the rules we have to follow are pushing me over the edge! I just want to care for kids like i have been for years. Its getting frustrating!

playfelt
06-12-2012, 08:50 AM
That is a good reason. And especially since it means not losing any of the children you have privately. For now I would simply charge them what you are charging or set a rate slightly less than the agency but more than what the agency paid you so it is a win win for both of you.

It sounds like you will do just fine on your own and once out from under the paperwork load maybe actually be able to enjoy the kids. Good luck.