PDA

View Full Version : Provider feedback about your child

admin
03-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Hello everyone,

As a parent, what kind of feedback are you expecting from your provider?
Do you like to have a full account of every day's events and activities or just quick summary?
How open are you to constructive criticism about your child's development or behavior?

:)

Sunflower
03-22-2011, 11:35 AM
great question, I hope parents will respond to this:D

gcj
03-23-2011, 08:37 AM
as a daycare provider, I can tell you what I inform the parents of....I use a journal to tell them everything that the child ate, how much time they slept for and any other useful information....unusu al behavior (good or bad), firsts, cute/funny thing....my rule is anything that I would want to know as a parent goes in their journals. It is usually brief, though. Some things are better said in person, but I'm often afraid of forgetting during the short time that they're at the door. Especially if more than one arrive at the same time, or I'm otherwise distracted with other children.

agesandstagesdaycare
04-19-2011, 07:52 AM
What kind of journals are you using? Sorry to highjack this thread!

Spixie33
04-19-2011, 10:40 AM

I don't use a journal currently but I have had journals given to me by a daycare provider when I was using daycare and working outside the home.

I can say that from my own experience it was a notebook - probably from the dollar store about 7 inches by 4 inches. The daycare provider would write in it sort of like a diary by putting the date at the top. Then she would write a bit about the day. What they did, how my kids ate, if they went outside or not, any issues or 'firsts' that happened that day. ie. a new word or a new skill. Sometimes she would fill up 4 lines and other times a whole page. I really liked the journal because I could also write back.

The issue with the journal was that sometimes I would take it out and read it at home (i loved reading it at night to see what the day had been like for my kids) but then I would forget it and leave it on the counter. There were many days where my "mommy brain" would forget to send it back

Nifer
07-31-2011, 08:30 PM
As a provider I would like to know when these journals are being filled out? Because we are busy playing and learning in the morning as well as have snack and lunch, then during nap time I clean up after the kids lunch, have my own lunch, rest, prepare afternoon snack as well as some of my family's dinner. After nap, we have snack play some more and kids go home.
When am I going to fill out 4-5 journals-let alone remember (exactly) what each child did?

playfelt
07-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Nifer that is why I stopped doing the journals. I also found most of the disagreements I had with a parent was over something I had written in the journal that was taken the wrong way or especially from a new mom who didn't understand what group care meant. Just because a parent writes on the intake info that morning nap is from 9-10 in group care that can mean 8:45 if child seems tired or we need to go somewhere later in the morning or not be till 9:15 because we were busy with an activity and it made sense to finish it first. Same as you my afternoon is busy with my own things and I'm sorry but it isnt' my job to give the parents a play by play of the day. At pickup I tell them how the child slept, the menu if it isn't posted on the wall and how well they ate, if there were any issues with diapering such as more BM than usual. When I did do journals they were small spiral books - sort of 5x4 from the dollar store and if parent forgot the book there was no report - no loose pages. And they were only done until the child turned 18 months and or was doing one nap along with the rest of the group and eating basic table foods - ie there was nothing out of the ordinary care wise that needed to be reported on. I also found it hard to write about what each child played with since their attention span for any toy was only a few minutes long.

Skysue
07-31-2011, 11:57 PM
I write daily reports for only my small children as I'm sorry but it's extremely important to know how there day went especially if they can't talk. What they ate and when they slept to me is a huge deal. For play it's just a general i.e : Free play, walk to park, story time, music time, outside play etc... It only takes me 10 minutes to fill them out. Who has time for a long chat at pick up? Especially if you have others to still oversee?

My parents love my reposts and look forward to them!

Nifer that is why I stopped doing the journals. I also found most of the disagreements I had with a parent was over something I had written in the journal that was taken the wrong way or especially from a new mom who didn't understand what group care meant. Just because a parent writes on the intake info that morning nap is from 9-10 in group care that can mean 8:45 if child seems tired or we need to go somewhere later in the morning or not be till 9:15 because we were busy with an activity and it made sense to finish it first. Same as you my afternoon is busy with my own things and I'm sorry but it isnt' my job to give the parents a play by play of the day. At pickup I tell them how the child slept, the menu if it isn't posted on the wall and how well they ate, if there were any issues with diapering such as more BM than usual. When I did do journals they were small spiral books - sort of 5x4 from the dollar store and if parent forgot the book there was no report - no loose pages. And they were only done until the child turned 18 months and or was doing one nap along with the rest of the group and eating basic table foods - ie there was nothing out of the ordinary care wise that needed to be reported on. I also found it hard to write about what each child played with since their attention span for any toy was only a few minutes long.

Skysue
08-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I fill my reports out during nap time when I have my afternoon tea, it only takes 10 minutes for all!
They can also be filled out during free play after afternoon snack! :)

As a provider I would like to know when these journals are being filled out? Because we are busy playing and learning in the morning as well as have snack and lunch, then during nap time I clean up after the kids lunch, have my own lunch, rest, prepare afternoon snack as well as some of my family's dinner. After nap, we have snack play some more and kids go home.
When am I going to fill out 4-5 journals-let alone remember (exactly) what each child did?

Skysue
08-01-2011, 12:03 AM
I only use 4x5 pieces of paper that get handed over at pick up or if I have time I place them in the diaper bag!

Sarah
08-01-2011, 03:39 PM
As a parent, when my kids where going to daycare, I expected to only know if they had a good day, if they had fun. . What they ate or how much is irrelevant to meA little bit of what they did is nice to know because you can talk about it. Kids see the link between parents and daycare, they see that we are aware of what they do, and they feel that their parents are really interested even if they are not around them.

I do appreciate the feedback about my kids behaviour. But if I feel the caregiver is exagerating, I will told her right away. One of my kids was attending a goverment daycare, and the provider would tell me that he was not unhappy, not crying, but not participating at all. He was just sitting there the whole day, waiting for us to come back. We tried many thing to get him involved, but nothing worked. So she told me that she tought he would be better in a home daycare (which at that point I was against!!!).

Anyway, it worked. So I really appreciated the honesty of her observation.

It is important to know these things. Communication between parents and providers is crucial.

Sarah

Skysue
08-01-2011, 05:55 PM
I completley agree with you in regards to communication!

On food to me it is also equally important to know what my child ate as a healthy balanced diet is the foundation for there health for life!

As a parent, when my kids where going to daycare, I expected to only know if they had a good day, if they had fun. . What they ate or how much is irrelevant to meA little bit of what they did is nice to know because you can talk about it. Kids see the link between parents and daycare, they see that we are aware of what they do, and they feel that their parents are really interested even if they are not around them.

I do appreciate the feedback about my kids behaviour. But if I feel the caregiver is exagerating, I will told her right away. One of my kids was attending a goverment daycare, and the provider would tell me that he was not unhappy, not crying, but not participating at all. He was just sitting there the whole day, waiting for us to come back. We tried many thing to get him involved, but nothing worked. So she told me that she tought he would be better in a home daycare (which at that point I was against!!!).

Anyway, it worked. So I really appreciated the honesty of her observation.

It is important to know these things. Communication between parents and providers is crucial.

Sarah

playfelt
08-01-2011, 07:14 PM
My parents are ok with no written journals and tell me they "trust" me to do my job and in a sense that is what it comes down to to a certain extent. Besides I can write anything whether that is what happened or not. I also found I was writing the same thing napped 9-10, Bm normal, ate well...... at that point it becomes a waste of time and paper.

I do know some caregivers that compose an email during naptime and send it out to parents detailing what the day has been like, activities, meal, etc. and then a small note per family on their particular child.

Sarah
08-02-2011, 01:32 AM
When I said what they ate us irrelevant I meant that knowing what they ate and how much on a daily basis. -t is when you look for a daycare that you must inquire about their eating habits.

I wants my kids to eat healthy but do not need to know what they eat every day. But love if provider shares with me about their favorite receipe

NorthVanMom
08-02-2011, 11:51 AM
My daughter has been going to a small family daycare for two years. The daycare provider has not made it a habit to tell me about what my daughter ate, how long she napped, or if she had a BM. I finally asked the daycare provider to tell me these things, because I can't always remember to ask and I'm not always the one to pick my daughter up. I've given my daycare provider a half-page sheet to fill in every day with this info and she's happy to do this (and I'm happy if she just tells me, too). Now, I can confidently provide my daughter with food that complements what she ate at daycare. I now know if she'll be tired at 7:00 pm or closer to 8:00 pm. And I now know what to expect in the BM department. It makes my evenings with my daughter more predictable, much easier to plan and more enjoyable, which lowers the stress levels for everyone. I wish all daycare providers volunteered this basic information. It shows respect and consideration for the parents.

sunnydays
08-02-2011, 12:23 PM
As a provider, I provide a nightly email that goes to all parents, 1 email that tells a bit about our day. I try to include things each of the kids did or said or new skills learned etc. I already provide a menu for the week, so the parents know what the kids are eating. I only let them know if the child didn't eat or appetite seemed abnormal for the child. The parents I have are all really appreciative to have this window into thier childrens' days as none of them can talk much. I don't record about BM's or naps, but I do let parents know verbally or in a separate, private email if there was anything abnormal or any discipline issues. I think it's nice to have a group email because the parents get to know a bit about the other kids as well (nothing private) and I know they all look forward to reading the emails. I do it in the evening and it takes about 5 minutes.

fruitloop
08-07-2011, 10:07 PM
I provide a daily sheet to all families about our day. On the sheet it has everything pretty much there and I circle things we did. In the food section I write down what we ate and how much and on the bottom part I write how long the child slept for and if they want to know about BM I will write it there too. With my sheets it only takes a minute to fill out because it's all there and I just have to circle things. It works for me and the parents love it.

Sandbox Sally
08-08-2011, 12:43 PM
I have my weekly menu, along with circle time books and songs posted on my website.

I text two of my moms at nap time and tell them how well they ate, whether they had a good morning, and if they had a BM. Otherwise, I tell them about food and BM at pickup.

Sarah
08-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Why on earth would parents want to know their child's everyday BM???

Please help me understand! I mean if their child is sick, I understand, but why would you need or even want to know about BM for a healthy kid. Please enlighten me

Skysue
08-08-2011, 08:24 PM
It is so important to know this! Maybe not a big deal for an older child but for an infant they can get constipated very easily due to diet, i.e. formula or food too high in iron. Also if there BM is too acidic it could mean a tooth coming in, or runny in general could mean a viral infection or reaction to food.

Even color has a lot to do with overall health.

If a daycare provider has a child for a few days and they don’t have a B.M and the same goes for the parent how are you to know that they are backed up?

It also helps the parent know if they are to expect one that evening. My little one had this in daycare and her reports said she didn’t go for 2 days that night I FED HER PRUNES and she had instant relief.

I’m just a bit shocked that you had to ask!

Please help me understand! I mean if their child is sick, I understand, but why would you need or even want to know about BM for a healthy kid. Please enlighten me

mom-in-alberta
08-08-2011, 08:37 PM
As a provider, I certainly do not discuss poop on a daily basis with mom and dad. I'm sort of with Sarah, as a parent, too. If there is something out of the ordinary (more or less than usual, child seemed to have difficulty having the BM, etc), then yes I would want to know. Otherwise, not really something I need the little details on. I will tell parents if something seems up, but we don't really talk about it regularly.
When it comes to whether or not to expect a stink-o diaper... if they go, they go. :)

Skysue
08-08-2011, 10:28 PM
I think there is confusion to this question. I don't write details on my daily reports on the size, colour and texture? I just right if they go or don't go? Her question was more on the importance of knowing. As a parent it's important! Someone help me out here!

As a provider, I certainly do not discuss poop on a daily basis with mom and dad. I'm sort of with Sarah, as a parent, too. If there is something out of the ordinary (more or less than usual, child seemed to have difficulty having the BM, etc), then yes I would want to know. Otherwise, not really something I need the little details on. I will tell parents if something seems up, but we don't really talk about it regularly.
When it comes to whether or not to expect a stink-o diaper... if they go, they go. :)

spudjt
08-09-2011, 08:24 AM

I usually do a report daily (whenever possible) as an email. That way I can copy the same summary for each child and add individual comments on each child if needed. I am an extremely fast typer so It really only takes a few moments at various times throughout the day. I used to write in a journal and THAT was way too time consuming!! I leave the email open on my computer and come back to it to report what things I think the parent would want to know ..if the child is new, I put in a lot of detail ..and if there are any issues, i jot them down so I can troubleshoot, keep the parent informed and ensure we are on the same page..and then I also have a log to review. It also covers your butt if journalling..cuz then you have a record of your day..lets face it , days are long, things get forgotten if not written down..and days can run into the next day...so its nice for both parent and me!! Hope that helps :)

Sandbox Sally
08-09-2011, 12:00 PM
I am asked by every parent whether their kid had a poop - every day. I would also ask a provider if my baby or toddler was away from me all day. Output is just as important as input.

Katskids
08-09-2011, 01:21 PM
I only have 2 sets of parents and I spend a few minutes at pick up time discussing the day. This is sometimes my only adult conversation during the day so I quite enjoy chatting! I'll happily discuss food, poop etc., but I think the parents just want to be re-assured that their children are well taken care of and had a great day!

Sarah
08-09-2011, 01:58 PM
It is so important to know this! Maybe not a big deal for an older child but for an infant they can get constipated very easily due to diet, i.e. formula or food too high in iron. Also if there BM is too acidic it could mean a tooth coming in, or runny in general could mean a viral infection or reaction to food.

Even color has a lot to do with overall health.

If a daycare provider has a child for a few days and they don’t have a B.M and the same goes for the parent how are you to know that they are backed up?

It also helps the parent know if they are to expect one that evening. My little one had this in daycare and her reports said she didn’t go for 2 days that night I FED HER PRUNES and she had instant relief.

I’m just a bit shocked that you had to ask!

I like your explanation, but I am not like you! As a provider, if parents ask, I will tell them of course, but as a parent, I never asked. And never thought it was usefull.

By the way, maybe it was not too clear, but my asking was a bit ironic. I know why parents ask, but I don't understand why they would feel the need to ask.

I would expect the provider to let me know if she notices a different texture or color in the BM, or an absence of BM for a longer period than usual, as well as I would let her know as a parent. This way, together we can avoid problems. But letting me know everyday that there was a BM, what do I care?

And why would I want to know that there will be a BM at home? I have diapers, wipes, a nose to smell it when it comes, and if I go out, I will bring everything with me! Wow, that is planning too much to need to know if there might be a BM!

Anyway, it's just my opinion! I don't really mind if people need to know, I just don't get that they need to know THAT much!

To me, it's making natural body work, unnatural!

waterloo day mom
08-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I have had an experience in the past where I had to write a journal for each child and found it very detached and uncomfortable. For some children I was always writing the same thing (ate well, pooped around 9, etc) and for others I couldn't find the words or didn't want something to come across wrong. I no longer send home a written report with the kids, but am more than willing (and do) discuss with parents any questions or concerns that they have. If they have found that the child has been constipated at home, they might ask about if they pooped while with me. Other parents have no concern as their child might go 2-3 times a day. I would hate to think that a parent is so busy that they can't talk to me for a minute or 2 about whatever parts of the day they want to know. Communication is important, and it goes both ways, but communication only exists if the right questions are being asked. I ask the parents what I want to know, they ask me what they want to know. No wasted time or effort, and we are all happy.

Skysue
08-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Not sure what you mean by natural body work, unnatural?

At the end of the day most of my daycare kids get picked up at the same time so I don't have time to disscuss things with parents in great detail.

Anyway it's important!

I like your explanation, but I am not like you! As a provider, if parents ask, I will tell them of course, but as a parent, I never asked. And never thought it was usefull.

By the way, maybe it was not too clear, but my asking was a bit ironic. I know why parents ask, but I don't understand why they would feel the need to ask.

I would expect the provider to let me know if she notices a different texture or color in the BM, or an absence of BM for a longer period than usual, as well as I would let her know as a parent. This way, together we can avoid problems. But letting me know everyday that there was a BM, what do I care?

And why would I want to know that there will be a BM at home? I have diapers, wipes, a nose to smell it when it comes, and if I go out, I will bring everything with me! Wow, that is planning too much to need to know if there might be a BM!

Anyway, it's just my opinion! I don't really mind if people need to know, I just don't get that they need to know THAT much!

To me, it's making natural body work, unnatural!

Sarah
08-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Not sure what you mean by natural body work, unnatural?

Anyway it's important!

Sorry, english is not really my first language so sometimes it's hard to say exactly what I mean.

So what I meant was that a BM is a natural thing, that parents don't need to know about, unless there is a problem with it. I agree with the impotancee of the BM, but only when there is an actual problem. Just requiring this information as part as a daily recap is giving it a "medical" importance. Do you analyze your own BM every time you go? I don't think so!!! You will analyze only if something feels wrong about it.

Anyway, hope I am clear!

KingstonMom
08-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Wow this is a lot of BM talk!!
Personaly I dont do written journals or anything. Most of the kids I have poop at least once a day, but I wouldnt necessarily mention it unless they had not for a couple days in my care. (kids change and they could be pooping at home...)
If I notice a change (diarrhea more than once per day with no fever) then I will mention it. But otherwise, they dont ask, and I dont ask about their BM at home.
At pick up I will mention what we ate that day and how their naps went.
My daycare is pretty structured so everyone always naps from 12-2:30 give or take 20 mins. So it is still a little repetitive after a while.
I think that this is not hard to do, to take out 1 minute while the shoes are going on to say this. It doesnt take much.
I know that if I did notes or whatever, then it would all mostly be the same deal day in, day out.
If I do happen to forget to tell parents something, like he got a boo boo on his knee today or something, then I can always text Mom to pass it on, but this is nothing that cant wait till the next day.
Anyways, just my thoughts on the idea.
May work for some, but not me personally. I am fine with the information flow that I have now with Moms and Dads, and I have not heard anything differently as of lately. :)

Skysue
08-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Sarah,

Parents do need to know about B.M’s and if they have or haven’t had one! I have stated the importance of this in my previous posts. In regards to myself yes I do take notice of my own B.M's pretty much every time, I really care about overall health!!!

In response to this crazy discussion the bottom line is (lol) that if we are taking notice then it means we are doing our jobs well! By you saying that if it were unusual then you would tell their parents means your taking notice. This means we care about our daycare kids overall well being and that we are doing a great job.

Signed,

Sue a.k.a: Passionate about poop!

Sorry, english is not really my first language so sometimes it's hard to say exactly what I mean.

So what I meant was that a BM is a natural thing, that parents don't need to know about, unless there is a problem with it. I agree with the impotancee of the BM, but only when there is an actual problem. Just requiring this information as part as a daily recap is giving it a "medical" importance. Do you analyze your own BM every time you go? I don't think so!!! You will analyze only if something feels wrong about it.

Anyway, hope I am clear!

mom-in-alberta
08-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Poop talk aside..... lol (by the way, Skysue "bottom line??" hehehe, funny) :)
I was wondering if you gals that use the journals or give daily reports have worked in larger centres? I can totally see why that would be quite applicable, as there are a greater number of kids to remember who did what, ate what, etc. Easier for the details to get lost in the shuffle. I have only a couple of families, and none of them seem to need more than the basic info.

Sarah
08-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Sue a.k.a: Passionate about poop!

:) :) :)

I guess I can sign Sarah a.k.a: Passionate about (ouach) poop! But still a little bit less than Sue

lol!!!

Spixie33
08-10-2011, 06:04 AM

As a parent who used daycare before -- I used to want to know for peace of mind that the plumbing was working as it should and also that my child was being changed regularly

Imagine if your child usually has a regular BM every afternoon after nap. It is Friday where you pick your child up from daycare. On Saturday you notice his stomach is swollen and hard and he hasn't pooped and he seems quite uncomfy. Wouldn't you then go back and consult your daycare sheet and see did the child poop Friday at daycare or his he now 2 days constipated and in pain?? It is little things like that.

or you pick your child up and he seems to be pooping every hour on the hour - you would check to see whether the same trend happened during the day and whether maybe they had a virus or something they ate affecting them.

It is always good to have as much info as possible because what if you have to go to urgent care at night and the doctor asks about your child's day and what they ate or what their diapers were for the day and you have to say "I don't know - they were at daycare". Eeks:)

I guess to parents - it is just good to have in case of issues and peace of mind

I tell parents about diapers as a daycare provider for those reasons. I know that I used to want to know. I have had parents walk in the door....check the sheet and see if their child had a BM yet or whether to expect one since they were going shopping etc.

playfelt
08-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Yes the info is important but what I would be telling the parent at the door is the changes such as little A didn't have a poop today and they usually do or they had 3 today and them seemed to be getting softer and softer. That is the kind of stuff we talk about at the door right up there with our normal chit chat.

greenborodaycare
09-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Oh my word! Journals...I had a parent ask me if I could keep a journal of her child's day and this is what I said, "I am not a daycare center. I am a home daycare provider. I do not have staff to watch the children while I fill out your child's journal and write her whole day."
Like really? I couldn't even believe anyone would ask that. If the only break I get is during nap time for 45 minutes out of a ten hour day, do you think i'm going to sit there filling out "journals" for five kids???? lol
If a simple 2 minute rundown of the day during pickup is not enough then perhaps parents should bring their children to a daycare center and pay $50 a day and not $35!
Good gravy...:laugh:

zen39
09-16-2011, 10:50 AM
I do journals, but I only write a couple sentences in each. I don't discuss their whole day. I just write a funny little thing they said or did or something they really enjoyed whether it's an activity or song etc. It only takes me a couple minutes for each children, definitely not difficult. I do it during naptime. My kids nap for two hours, so I have a nice long break. Some providers may do it and others don't, it's all a personal choice. For me, I know as a parent I like getting little write ups about all my kids, so I thought I would offer the same to my parents.

lotssoflove
10-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Hello! New here! I actually have a daily sheet I fill out (an idea I stole from my DD daycare when she was little). It has information like the date name of child, Time of nap and duration, if they went down well. Number of wet,dirty diapers, what they ate for snack, lunch bottles all written with just filling in the blanks like I napped from ____ to ____ and went down ______. I leave a section down at the bottom of the page where I can write comments but dont always do it. From the Parent perspective it gives the important info quickly. I print a bunch at the beginning of the week and fill them out at nap time. Takes all of 2 minutes.

Daymama
12-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Hello!

I am also new here. I run a home daycare in Alberta.

I think the level of communication should vary according to the age of the child - an older child can share information themselves, whereas a baby needs parents and caregivers to be in closer communication. I also believe that it is important for language development for parents to be able to talk with children about their days and to do that, they have to know what the children are doing in a regular and timely way.

I post my menu and activity plans in advance by the door, and I try to always share/ask about how the child slept or ate at dropoff or pickup.

I also have a private facebook group for my dayhome parents and grandparents. I am not fb friends with them, and all parents gave me written consent to take the photos and a promise not to share photos of other children off the group, so professionalism is preserved. I can post pictures and short videos from my camera or iPhone very easily as I take them, and at naptime, I go back and add comments. Sometimes I post links to books we read or youtubes of songs we are listening to or the words to songs we are singing, etc. I find it very easy to maintain this - much more so than the old notebooks I kept. I love the feedback from parents and sometimes grandparents in comments, too. They watch the videos especially over and over with their children.