PDA

View Full Version : Turn around; all kinds of crazy!

Dreamalittledream
06-12-2012, 03:39 PM
So, I shared with you how I had an interview with these parents; in particular the Mom who just shot up red flags everywhere in my head. The woman: Asked me to turn up the heat in my playroom (it's in the basement; it gets cool...even on the parent checklist to leave a sweater & slippers), she physically went in my playroom food cupboards/fridge to see what kind of food I serve, demanded a crib instead of playpen for her daughter (9 months old), could only come during open hours for interview and demanded to return 1 hour later at lunch time to watch me feed her child (so she could see that I could "handle things"), demanded to see the blender I use (to make sure it's a good one that would purée well), sent e-mails late into the night to 'discuss my menu' (what would I substitute for Menu item for baby)....I could go on..... So, last night I sent her a very polite, but professional email addressing the points above and also asked for her trust (telling her about all of the experience I have, reassuring her). I agreed to keep this child today and tomorrow and make my decision then. Something just told me to persist, to give this child a chance, to grow (I didn't even go into her development delays, imposed, I'm sure by way overprotective parents: Barely sitting, still eating purée only, Mom says she "can't play outside, too young"). So, today (without Mom) she was with me a full day (even playing outside *gasp* and it went so great! Child is a dream. We need to work on her being satisfied with floor time and food texture growth...but I see promise. I kept sending parents pictures and updates, sent them home with my logbook full of details of her day and Mom was just glowing! She actually started to cry & say thank you so much, she has been so worried & paranoid (ya think?!) about finding the right fit for her child. So, what started so badly ended well (for now;))

Dreamalittledream
06-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Forgot to add that she also paid me in full for this whole week (she's only attending 3 days; not including yesterday's return for lunch which I so was not going to charge for) I refused but she insisted. Wow!

Skysue
06-12-2012, 05:04 PM
First of all I just wanted to say Kudos to you for interviewing in the first place as I would never interview during daycare hours. I made that mistake only once, I interviewed a Mom like that and I said no right away as it could have gone 100% the other way.

It seems to me that, that baby needs you and it’s a true blessing you re in her life. Thank God the Mom sees all the positives you are doing. It sounds like a good start!

Good luck!

Dayhome Mamma
06-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Wow! I probably would never take in a mom like this unless I was desperate for the income. I wish you the best and truly hope it works out well for you! :)

jec
06-12-2012, 06:18 PM
:blink: Wow on the Mom.
Hope things work out for you. Who knows, they may end up being your fav clients :thumbsup:

Momof4
06-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Good luck! I believe the parents are the key when I interview. No matter what issues arise with little children I can handle it no problem. But the parents have to work with me and they have to be approachable with open communication and a similar childrearing philosophy. That's what I look for in an interview.

jec
06-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Good luck! I believe the parents are the key when I interview. No matter what issues arise with little children I can handle it no problem. But the parents have to work with me and they have to be approachable with open communication and a similar childrearing philosophy. That's what I look for in an interview.

Well put Momof4 ~ I agree with you!!

Sandbox Sally
06-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Congrats! She was scared (aww)...but that woulda sent me running...lol

Inspired by Reggio
06-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Wow - she was lucky to find you ... cause while I have empathy for the first time mom syndrome and that trust you have to put in someone else to care for your child ... those would have been too much for me too!

Sending you sticky vibes that you can build and maintain a level of trust where she is not micromanaging you further!

monkeymama
06-13-2012, 01:21 PM
sounds like you are exactly what this family and especially this little girl needs!! awesome job :)