PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Parents! VENT!!!

apples and bananas
06-14-2012, 06:06 PM
I need to vent!

I have a client who has always paid me by email money transfer on Saturdays. I've always been ok with it, however, lately the payments are coming later and later on Saturdays and it's frustrating. I shouldn't have to send a text mid day Saturday (my day off) to remind them to pay me.

So, I revisited my policies and explained why I need to be paid on Friday ect. She chose to write me a cheque.

Ever since she wrote the cheque there have been questions... "when does it come out... Did you deposit it Friday night... I hate writing cheques... should I just write you post dated? does that make a difference in when the money clears out of my account" SERIOUSLY! It is not my job to educate someone on the ins and outs of writing a cheque.

Today she send me a text mid day that said "the cheque just cleared today" I didn't respond, I didn't even know how to respond. She didn't say anything at pick up and neither did I.

Inspired by Reggio
06-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Ummm - seriously if she had of just done the EFT on YOUR PAYDAY instead of asking for SPECIAL and doing it on a Saturday a day late for you and than screwing that up by being LATE in the day instead of by noon or whatever the agreed upon time was she would not have to be writing a cheque in the first place ;)

She screwed up - it is her problem not yours!

How fast a bank cheque clears depends on way too many factors and is NEVER consistent ... could she pay CASH instead if it is such a hardship for her to balance her bank account than neither of you have to worry about cheques or late payment - if she does not arrive with payment by close of business you send her to got get it and charge a LATE FEE for it being past due!

playfelt
06-14-2012, 06:19 PM
She is probably doing that because in your email to her you said I need the payment by Friday night because. Then when she does give you payment on Friday you take longer to deposit the money meaning you didn't really need teh money so you could spend it which is probably what you said in your email so that is what the parent is questioning in a round about way. The reality is you are paid by a certain time and up to you when you deposit it but the money is there for when you decide you need to use it. She is just being petty. IF she wants to go back to transfer let her just change the date and time it is due by.

DaycareLulu
06-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Almost all of my parents pay by e-transfer and I didn't mind at all at first but the same thing happened to me. The transfers started coming in on Saturday or even Sunday and I started worrying that they had totally forgot. I started having to send out reminder emails on Fridays. I will from now on only take post dated cheques from my new clients in the future. I prefer knowing I have them and control over when they go in to my bank.

Momof4
06-14-2012, 07:39 PM
My daycare parents all pay in cash and I'm really happy about it. Most of them pay once every two weeks which means I only have to write up half the receipts of the ones who pay every week. Thankfully, I'm a hardass about my contract and the parents have all been wonderful. Be tough and insist that your contract is followed to the letter on every clause!!!

Lou
06-14-2012, 08:19 PM
I had a payment issue today too!!
This week one of my full timers was sent home with pink eye and therefore was required to stay home the next day as well while her ab's kicked in. When Mom paid me today, I didn't notice until AFTER she left that she had shorted me a day. I texted her, and anxiously awaited a response...I was so nervous she'd start arguing about it but THANKFULLY she was incredibly embarrassed and offered to drive it right back over, she 'just didn't think', lol. Phew!!!

playfelt
06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
I take payment on Monday for the coming week so my e transfer moms pay on Sunday so that it is ready for me to deposit on Monday. The reality is I don't go to the bank till the end of the week usually but that is not the point. Payday is payday.

gcj
06-14-2012, 08:25 PM
I ask for post-dated cheques for the year. I don't want to remind them each month....I have too many things to think about and so do they. So, we think of it in September, and it's DONE

michellesmunchkins
06-14-2012, 08:57 PM
I feel for you...most of my families pay cash and its due on the Monday...lately they've been paying whenever they feel like it...so far this week only 1 has paid out of the 5 families. Very frustrating. I've sent out email after email about how I shouldn't have to remind them to pay me, and how would they feel if their pay cheques were late and blah blah...sadly they just don't give a s***! If everyone has not paid by pick up tomorrow they won't have daycare for the following week. I have been far to 'nice' to everyone and now they are all taking advantage huge! I have one awesome family that I can count on ALWAYS. She even came to pay me when she was in labour! Sigh..if only they were all like that!

apples and bananas
06-15-2012, 05:54 AM
I think the collecting money part is the hardest part of the job. Thank goodness for contracts, everything is up front and everyone knows the rules. Unfortunatly for me, this is my first client I took on , and if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have! I joke all the time and call her my "karma" for all of the things that I put my daycares through when i was working. LOL

it's payday... let's see what today holds. :)

Inspired by Reggio
06-15-2012, 05:58 AM
..... I didn't notice until AFTER she left that she had shorted me a day. I texted her, and anxiously awaited a response...I was so nervous she'd start arguing about it but THANKFULLY she was incredibly embarrassed and offered to drive it right back over, she 'just didn't think', lol. Phew!!!

Ummmm - sorry maybe I am a pessimist this morning - but IMO she KNEW she had shorted you a day and was hoping you would not say anything and just accept it the lesser pay ... and when she got 'caught' she played it down with an 'opps' so as not to rock the boat with her service - it is a passive aggressive thing I have seen clients do to providers over and over who do not 'agree' with having to pay for days they are not in care!or

Seriously how do you NOT notice that you only paid someone for 4 days instead of the 5 you normally pay when you are the one doing the MATH to figure out what is owed each week and writing the cheque each week?

Glad she did not argue with you about it - but I would not be surprised is she 'forgets' again in the future when a sick day or vacation day or other time comes along :rolleyes:

Mamma_Mia
06-15-2012, 02:50 PM
to me it sounds like she's hard-up for $$ and wants to know exactly when she will be without xx amount of $$.....

I really need to look into this EMT!!! :laugh:

Lou
06-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Ummmm - sorry maybe I am a pessimist this morning - but IMO she KNEW she had shorted you a day and was hoping you would not say anything and just accept it the lesser pay ... and when she got 'caught' she played it down with an 'opps' so as not to rock the boat with her service - it is a passive aggressive thing I have seen clients do to providers over and over who do not 'agree' with having to pay for days they are not in care!or

Seriously how do you NOT notice that you only paid someone for 4 days instead of the 5 you normally pay when you are the one doing the MATH to figure out what is owed each week and writing the cheque each week?

Glad she did not argue with you about it - but I would not be surprised is she 'forgets' again in the future when a sick day or vacation day or other time comes along :rolleyes:

No, because in the past when her children had been sick, she has always paid without question. It's in my policy that if I'M sick and need to close then they do not need to pay, and this happened recently so she confused the policies up. I know her well enough, to know she wasn't being shady.

Inspired by Reggio
06-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Good to hear ;)