PDA

View Full Version : Video monitors and cots

apples and bananas
06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Hi everyone!

I have always had playpen age kids here and now they seem to be growing out of the playpens! I have a 3 year old coming into care in September and have a 2 year old that will be ready for a cot by then. So, I'm currently using the bedrooms upstairs with a play pen in each room, everyone sleeps seperately. I will be making the daycare room into a second nap room for the big kids. I have blackout curtains and a curtain that cuts off this room from the rest of the house (it's fairly open concept) I just need some cots! So I'm looking for help in 2 areas as I haven't used the playroom as a nap room before and I haven't had multiple kids sleeping in the same room before.

1. Cots! Any brands that work well? I'm thinking a cot rather then a mat as I would think the child would relate a cot more to a bed being slightly risen off the floor, I'm hoping for some more success this way as far as keeping them laying down and in bed.

2. Video!! I want to see them without them seeing me. I will be in the next room for the most part, so I'll be able to hear them, but I want to watch and make sure I know what I 'm hearing. LOL

Any suggestions on products or tips that you've used would be great!

Thanks!

bright sparks
06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks for asking this a&b. I'm interested in cameras. I have found that the video monitors dont cover a large enough area and generally arent very clear either. I'd love to hear what suggestions people have.

Play and Learn
06-19-2012, 01:21 PM
For cots, what I've bought for my 3 kiddos are these: Regalo My Cot Travel Bed. The kids seem to like them enough! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-My-Cot-Travel-Bed/4433186

I buy these in the US (and they're $26). I believe that Toys R Us now carries them (or will be), but are about $40. http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId= 12241926&prodFindSrc=search&foreSeeBrowseSamplin g=15&foreSeeBrowseLoyalty =1&foreSeeEnabled=true

I just ask parents to provide me with a crib mattress protector in case of any accidents, as well as any bedding.

Otherwise you can go to a daycare store and buy the cots that centers use. Ie: http://www.avronforkids.com/products/5577/COT++BLUE++STANDARD+ 52%27%27+Lx22%27%27+ Wx5%27%27+H Just make sure that if you go this route, to make sure you're getting the standard size, and NOT the toddler size.

apples and bananas
06-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks play and learn. These are the cots I've been looking on line at. I'm heading to the states this summer and may just pick them up while I'm there.

country girl
06-19-2012, 03:25 PM
With respect to the cots, does anyone know off hand what the weight limit is and how long they are...couldn't find dimensions on the website. Thanks!

Play and Learn
06-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Country Girl - are you asking in regards to the Regalo Cots? I have had my 7 year old nephew on it, and he was fine - he's a little tall for it, but sleeps in a ball. I would say he's about 45 pounds?

For the daycare cots that centers use - we would have 6 year olds on the standard cots. Anyone older had a floor mat to rest on if they needed quiet time.

Play and Learn
06-19-2012, 03:53 PM
One thing I love about the Regalo cots is that they fold up for storage (smaller than a pack n' play).

playfelt
06-19-2012, 10:17 PM
How stable are the regalo cots in terms of tipping if a child gets too close or sits on the edge of them similar to what a camp cot does. Have hubby convinced my crib mattresses can go and I can replace them just have to decide with what. I had been leaning towards the mats with the idea I could probably find uses for them down the road when not doing daycare anymore but still open to options.

Play and Learn
06-20-2012, 06:46 AM
How stable are the regalo cots in terms of tipping if a child gets too close or sits on the edge of them similar to what a camp cot does.
I don't have any issues with them at all! There's '6 legs' on them. I have a 2 yr old and two 3 year olds on them. They're made very similar to those lawn chairs that fold up (I can't sit in them because of my back, because they sink too low).