PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Gifts

gcj
06-20-2012, 08:19 AM
My son is finishing kindergarten. I'm just wondering what type of gifts people give and how much people spend on school teachers...

bright sparks
06-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Ahhhh, this is a good question that I find gets a lot of mixed responses. A lot of my friends are teachers so I hear from them what they like and don't like. I try to get my kids to find out what the teacher likes, my kids are 9 and 11 so much easier. My daughters teacher last year LOVED star wars so we got him a load of novelty SW items and he loved them. I got my sons teacher at Xmas a box of 4 stemless wine glasses and a gift card to the liqour store. I wasn't sure about it but fortunatly she said she got a few and her favourite gifts were always wine lol

I have been told on several occasions that teachers have enough teacher mugs to start a coffee shop so thats never on my list of possibilities. Also hand made foods aren't popular. I had a friend who does tupperware who buys the different coloured and patterned canisters and has a great recipe for a flavoured air popped popcorn which she puts in cellophane bags and puts in the canister for a gift. I told my Teacher friends who said they get a lot of stuff like this and while its very nice and personal and a lot of thought goes in to the gift, they are aprehensive about eating them as they dont know how clean this persons house is or even them as a person so thats also struck off my list. I tend to stick to flowers or a nice plant for the ladies and chocolates for the men, which no doubt someone in their house will eat or will keep for a while so can be regifted. Another occasion I bought everyone a chapters gift card for $20. Unfortunatly there tends to be multiple teachers per child now so it can get very pricey.

bright sparks
06-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Sorry just referring back to the handmade food gifts. I wouldnt make these as I'd be really upset if all my hardwork ended up going straight in the garbage.

apples and bananas
06-20-2012, 10:29 AM
I've always gotten the teachers gift cards to Michaels. They always seem to appreciate it, and I know they'll use it to put supplies back into the classroom.

Mamma_Mia
06-20-2012, 01:40 PM
See below for another thread about Teachers Gifts or End of School Year.....lots of great ideas there.

bright sparks
06-20-2012, 02:14 PM
I've always gotten the teachers gift cards to Michaels. They always seem to appreciate it, and I know they'll use it to put supplies back into the classroom.

Thats a GREAT idea. I'd love that kind of gift too.