PDA

View Full Version : How long do you let a child cry it out for?

samantha3
06-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Hi,

I have a new child starting and he is used to a 'family bed'.... which is fine at home but during rest I am cleaning, prepping, taking MY bread etc...

So, my question is how long will you let a child who you can tell is going through seperation and cannot soothe themselves cry for? :unsure:

Judy Trickett
06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Until they stop crying and go to sleep. ;)

But, I have to ask.....do the parents know you CIO the dckids? It just seems odd to me that a family who practices AP and co-sleeping would choose a provider who uses CIO.

I am upfront about CIO so it is not shocker to parents.

samantha3
06-20-2012, 03:30 PM
I have the older sibling in my care, so they know my style very well. I told the mom that I would try sitting with him for about ten minutes. This did not work, so I left the room and let him cry it out and he fell asleep in ten min for about an hour. Now, it is still rest time and he is in there screaming. I am not sure what to do because I feel that I would also like to sit down and enjoy a tea ( not to sound mean, but I feel I deserve my break...)

I plan on speaking to mom at pick up time and explaining that the sitting with child until they fell asleep did not work... and go from there I guess?

Ugg, I just find this so frustrating because the parents knew the child was coming to daycare and did not bother to do anything to help ease the sleep transition.... with the expectation that Samantha will do all of the hard work....

samantha3
06-20-2012, 03:33 PM
And now I have gone and picked him up..... I think I just set in a bad behavior pattern... eek!!!!!!!!!!

Inspired by Reggio
06-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Depends on the age for me - I cannot do the CIO for sleep time with an infant specially a new one to my program ... if they do not already self soothe upon arrival I swaddle, pat their bum, help them to sleep the first few days and than slowly I wean how long I help so that they are still 'awake' when I stop so they learn they can fall asleep on their own ... usually takes me about a week and for me while it does cut down on my 'break time' initially it is just easier because everyone else is able to sleep and not disturbed and in the end I get them where I want - self soothing and sleeping a healthy 2.5 to 3 hours.

Now when they reach that age of 2 or so when they try the 'nap resistance' that I can CIO no problem with a firm reminder it is QUIET time and you need to lay still and be quiet - because they are a year more developed in language and understand and they still NEED their rest despite their cognitive struggle now that they realize time passes while they sleep so they keep themselves awake so not want to 'miss' anything by sleeping.