PDA

View Full Version : Day Homes of Non-parents

mamaof4
06-21-2012, 03:34 PM
If you are a daycare provider and do not have children do you feel that parents 'judge' you for it how do you deal with this?

samantha3
06-21-2012, 04:50 PM
I have a daycare and I am not a parent and my families tell me that they like this because I dont have my own kids so my attention is on their children.

This is what I do professionally, I have my ECE Diploma and continuing my to get my degree. I run a high end program based on a Reggio Emelia philosophy, natural toys etc.

I personally do not feel judged.

Momof4
06-21-2012, 05:07 PM
My children are grown and I have 5 grandchildren as well with a medical background, but not my ECE. I understand what you are getting at mamaof4 because I am able to use over 30 years of experience and a common sense approach to running my daycare and parents appreciate that very much.

But I know when people come in the door if they have a prejudice about this or that since I don't life in a gorgeous huge house with a gorgeous huge yard. Every family is looking for something different and you can't please all the people all the time so you have to find the families who can see what you offer and look beneath surface judgements, including whether a person has children of their own. What samantha said makes perfect sense.

Inspired by Reggio
06-21-2012, 05:10 PM
I have a daycare and I am not a parent and my families tell me that they like this because I dont have my own kids so my attention is on their children.

This is what I do professionally, I have my ECE Diploma and continuing my to get my degree. I run a high end program based on a Reggio Emelia philosophy, natural toys etc.

I personally do not feel judged.

Ditto right down to the Reggio inspired program ... nothing against those who have children but I find NOT having young children at home is a selling feature for many parents - specially those with infants seeking care. I have actually ASKED during the interview if clients have any concerns that I do not have children.

This are a few of the reasons I have been given as to why prefer it - disclaimer these are not MY thoughts just what different clients have shared ;)

A) equality in care and attention for children - I think many people think it is human nature to meet your own children's needs first and worry that how could you meet their child's needs than as a result
B) they cannot imagine being up through the night with wee ones and than being 'on' during the day with the daycare children and so forth - they have no frame of mind because they are likely not managing themselves
C) they feel confident I am in this for the long haul .... I have chosen to open up a daycare not just so I can be home with my children but because this is what I wanted to do verses staying in 'centre' environment and therefore I am seen more of a 'business and program' verses being in this to make extra money. I have also had clients tell me they chose be cause they were looking for someone who would care for ALL their family including future siblings and they were confident I was not going to close and return to my 'real job' when my kid is in school
D) Had one tell me they assume I will take less time off work cause I do not have young children getting sick and causing me to close to take care of them

mamaof4
06-27-2012, 08:36 AM
those are really good points! I honestly never thought about it like that thanks ladies!