PDA

View Full Version : Late pick ups - The nerve of some people!

apples and bananas
06-21-2012, 05:14 PM
If you recall I posted a thread a while ago about a late pick up of after 6:30 that I missed an appointment because of. She asked me if I could take the kids late, I said no, and they picked up at the extended requested time anways.

I kept them and wrote them a late warning, reviewed my closing times ect.

Tonight I get a text at 5:30 exactly (my closing time) that says they'll be 15 more minutes. When she got here I had the boys dressed, ready and opened the front door to let them out. She began by telling me she's really sorry and then she started saying that she doesn't want to feel like she's going to get terminated every time she's a few minutes late.

So I ended up having this long drawn out, frustrated discussion with her in the driveway. I'm so annoyed at all of this. How hard is it to pick up your kids on time!

UGH! I know you're all going to tell me to terminate. I'm having trouble having that confrontation with her. Someone talk me into it please!

Momof4
06-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Well, isn't she going to get terminated if she's a few minutes late a lot? What a selfish woman! Ok, every once in a while somebody gets stuck in traffic or snow and I can forgive that, but I close at 5pm. If somebody arrived at 6:30 even once they wouldn't be here any more. I deserve my evening, especially since I have a ton of cleaning and prepping to do after daycare hours.

ECE53
06-21-2012, 05:27 PM
In a licensed Centre at a certain point, usually at the one hour mark I was to start calling social services or the police, if I could not reach emergency contacts to come pick the child up. The child is conidered abadonned. When you had this conversation with her in the driveway and she brought up termination, why didn't you just tell her that if she is late one more time that you would terminate her immediately without notice. Do you charge late fees ?
How does your family feel about this families lateness ? My husband would have had me terminate them, unless there is an accident or a terrible snow storm the daycar children must be gone by 5, when he gets home, it was a part of the deal.
Just remember people treat you how you let them . I would say enough is enough, it is a reasonable expectation that the children will go home on time.
Start running ads and fill those spots and start over....

Inspired by Reggio
06-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Yup chronic lateness is grounds for termination in my contract as well - so if she was my client she would have a need to be 'worried' .... if I close at 5:30 and you need care past 5:30 find a daycare open past 5:30 .... it is not rocket science!

Honestly - does she think the bank, the dentist, the chiropractor is going to sit there and 'wait' for her to show up for an appointment LATE constantly before they stop booking her into appointments OR start CHARGING here for two time slots the one she is 'late for' and the one she actually uses once she shows up?

As wise Judy says 'Lack of planning on YOUR part does not constitute an emergency on MINE ... IMO if you know you have to be at my house for 5:30 or you are late, you know it takes 20 minutes to arrive from where you are than you leave at 4:50 pm at the latest to come pick up so you have a 20 minute buffer time to get here if there is traffic or a train and you pick up your child and have a few minutes to 'talk' before closing time and if you do not than YES your child is dressed and shuttled out the door quickly and NO I do not want to TALK to you right now I am off the clock and have things to do to get my own family ready for the evening!

dodge__driver11
06-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Let me tell you a story....

I worked outside of the home in a daycare centre before right? (this centre was infant only and my son was older)

I had to stay late because another child's mom was late-- and as a result I was late picking up my own child.... by 45 mins another 15 they would have called mobile crisis, even though I called to explain, sadly hubby was working overtime.... Anyway they didn't care...they had rules, and they couldn't bend them.....

Thee next day I decided I was going to open my own dayhome... because I WANTED TO BE THE BOSS.

What I am trying to say is, in a centre this would not fly regardless of her circumstance.

Inspired by Reggio
06-21-2012, 06:32 PM
What I am trying to say is, in a centre this would not fly regardless of her circumstance.

Yup - and every centre I ever worked at it was a $1 per minute after close time.

Play and Learn
06-21-2012, 08:15 PM
She would definitely be on thin ice here. After working in centers for a couple of years, I've implemented the late fees into my home daycare. Let me tell you, it works wonders! I have a 3-strikes and you're out policy.

They only get a 5 minute grace period IF they warn me before hand. Then it's $1/minute for 5 minutes, after that it's $5/minute, then after 20 minutes, it gets worse. Never had to get to that though.

AND....upon arrival the next day, they have to come with the late fees in CASH only if they want care that day. IF they don't pay, they don't get care, and then a $20 late fee/day plus the late fees from the prior day are due at the child's next day of care.

It's quite mean sounding, but YOU are boss, and they have to realize that YOU lead a life outside of caring for THEIR children.

I've only had to implement late fees once, and let me tell you, I was NOT pleased, and wouldn't accept her apology because 1. I couldn't get ahold of her, and 2. I was very late for my appt. On a side note: this family only lasted in my care for 3 weeks (3 strikes in 3 weeks!!!).

apples and bananas
06-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Thank you everyone. This family makes me feel so deflated. I keep them because she works at home, there's never a battle if I close for a day, she's always paid (some times a day late, but it always comes) they boys are a bit of a pain, but I'm used to them now. I just want to coast for a while. I have a decent crew, everyone knows each other, he sleeps really well... I don't want to start someone new.

I think I have scared her good this time. She sent me a text last night telling me how fabulous I am and she was truley sorry blah blah blah. She really doesn't have another option without me which gives me a bit of a sense of power over the situation. I have a thousand reasons to terminate this family but I'm just going to ride it out. The older is leaving me for school in the fall and I'll just be down to one.

I really need some time off, I'm starting to feel a little on the burnt out side. Good thing I have a light summer and a week of just a few weeks away.

Momof4
06-22-2012, 03:44 PM
She works at home? I don't have any of those Moms, but I have friends who have stay at home Moms of children in their daycare and they all sound the same. Whether they work or not they can structure their days so that their children are one of their priorities. I have had Moms arrive 10-15 minutes late because they got a phone call at their office just when they were about to leave or something like that, but that's not a big deal. I just don't get it and you are doing the right thing by standing tough apples and bananas!

Dreamalittledream
06-23-2012, 04:26 AM
She works at home & still can't be on time? Sheesh; I (& so many of you) get a number of little ones organized, dressed for the weather, pack them in strollers/wagons, deal with the 'shuffle along' gang...and still make it on time, every day for school pick ups.

Crayola kiddies
06-23-2012, 10:38 AM
She's not there on time because she feels she is the boss and she'll get there when she's ready .... She's proved that over and over again. She most likely won't change till it inconveniences her. You know like a header late fee or termination.