PDA

View Full Version : Stats vs Vacation Time WWYD?

Spixie33
06-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Hi...I charge for all stat days

However....on the Canada Day week (July 1-7th) I am going away on vacation with my family and closing the daycare.

I think that I should still get paid for the Monday stat on July 2 for parents who would normally attend on a Monday....but is that unreasonable? Just because I am also taking the T-F off doesn't mean I should miss a stat - ?

What would you do? I guess I just want to bounce it off everyone to see what is the proper etiquette here:)

Inspired by Reggio
06-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Yes - I would expect to get paid just like at Xmas when I close for that week - it is a stat on my paid list and yes just because I take the remainder of the week off does not affect that.

Spixie33
06-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Thank you reggio. I was typing up a reminder to my parents and suddenly started second-guessing myself and wonder if they would consider it unjust.
However...I also close at Christmas and get paid the stats so the same principle should apply. I could really use that Monday payment too. Losing 4 days is hard enough:p

playfelt
06-22-2012, 07:01 AM
You are paid for the Monday stat and what you do on that day is your choice. In effect you are only taking 4 days of vacation so if you have extra days left make yourself another long weekend in the summer somewhere. Just because you go away on your stat day off is no one's business anymore than weekends. Just word it to the parents that you are taking 4 days of your annual vacation time and that you are taking Monday July 2 in lieu of the Sunday Stat. Therefore the daycare will be closed from closing time Friday June 29 till opening time Monday July 9.

Play and Learn
06-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Yes, I state in my manual that if a Stat holiday lands on a weekend, that I will be taking a PAID day off either on the Friday or the Monday.

So for Canada Day, I'm taking next Friday off as a Paid day to start my 2 weeks holiday! They have to pay the week off (my families pay on Mondays for the week).

crafty
06-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Just a question, for your paid holidays, are you paid in advance or when you get back ? If you have paid Friday and Monday off... are you paid on the Thursday before you are off or on the next due payment for regular services ?

Momof4
06-22-2012, 07:51 AM
If it's listed in your contract as a paid day, then yes you should be paid for it. Personally, I'm sneaky and I'm taking next week as my vacation with the Monday at the end of it for a nice long week, then in Feb. I take the week before the Family Day Monday holiday and in Oct. I take the week before the Thanksgiving Day Monday holiday. That way, no matter how busy a holiday I have had I have the Monday holiday to rest and clean my house before working a 4 day week. I'm a smart planner! But my daycare families appreciate my brilliance too because they get a nice long week off work.

Crayola kiddies
06-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Well you didn't say whether you get paid for your holidays .... So if you do then you just take an extra day at the end of you holidays so instead of reopening on the Monday you would take that off and reopen on the tuesday ..... That's what I'm doing for my holidays at the end of July. If you don't get paid for your holidays then just send out a reminder that payment is still required for Canada day.

Play and Learn
06-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Just a question, for your paid holidays, are you paid in advance or when you get back ? If you have paid Friday and Monday off... are you paid on the Thursday before you are off or on the next due payment for regular services ?

I get Paid before I go on holidays. I send out a reminder email a week before I take off.

sunnydays
06-22-2012, 08:26 AM
I am taking the same week off and am counting 4 paid vacation days and onepaid Stat...so yes, you should be paid!

Daycare123
06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
I ALWAYS get paid for stat holidays even when they fall during a daycare closure

Spixie33
06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Crayola - when I close or have vacays then it is unpaid time for me...but I do get paid all stats and it clearly says so in my contract and I have asked the payment during Christmas even though I take that week off.

I think I was just feeling like they may think I am a money monger and second-guessed myself. :o:o

Crayola kiddies
06-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Just put out a reminder that you are closed for holidays from July 3-6 and that july 2 is a paid stat holiday ....

bright sparks
06-23-2012, 12:53 AM
You aren't actually taking the Monday off as a Vacation day as it is a stat holiday so theirs no question, its a paid day off.