PDA

View Full Version : Children Who Cannot Self Entertain

michellesmunchkins
06-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Anyone else noticing a trend in children coming to daycare who have no idea how to self entertain? I have 2 in care who literally need to be hand held to do each and every activity and to play with each and every toy. They will just stand there and look at me until I 'show' them what the toy can do.

I'm all for parents/caregivers who spend all their time teaching and playing with their children, but...at some point do you guys think it becomes too much? When I tell him to play with his friends or the toys, he tells me no and just stands there looking so lost.

I totally believe in child led playing/interacting and free play to develop their skills and abilities, but find that I'm at a loss with these 2 little ones...it becomes exhausting to have to 'schedule' their ENTIRE time here...suggestions?

Crayola kiddies
06-25-2012, 08:15 AM
I would just leave them and eventually they will see the other kids playing and they will join in. I would just keep saying "go play" ..... I had one like that once he was 3.5 and lived with mom and grandparents and they totally did everything with/for him. He could put on his own boots or coat.... Couldn't play by himself. Couldn't hold a crayon.... He didn't want to nap so I offered to pit a movie on for him ( he was my first and only child at the time) he even cried about that cause he only watched tv with grampa, and wouldn't play with my toys cause he only played with his toys with his gramma .... Needless to say he only lasted three weeks cause I wouldn't entertain him the whole time he was here. But he did learn how to dress himself by the time he left.

Play and Learn
06-25-2012, 08:48 AM
I now have two of these! One is 3 and one is 2.

Parents are ALWAYS playing with them! It's annoying as hell IMO. DCG2 cries now when I don't hold her or entertain her. I'm sorry, but what are they going to do when they get to school!?

mlac57
06-25-2012, 08:56 AM
I've definitely noticed a trend in children who do not know how to play by themselves (especially non-school aged children). I, personally, blame it on portable video game consoles. It seems that younger and younger children are being given these gaming systems to play with. I once had an interview with a family who had 3 children...a 5yr old, a 3yr old & a 1.5yr old. The 5yr old did not interact with me but played with his portable video game console the whole time he was here. The 3yr old seemed lost among all of my son's (who was 2.5yrs old at the time & had, in my opinon, some pretty kick-butt toys) toys and kept asking me if I had a Wii or another type of gaming system (a big no). Only the 1.5yr old seemed interested in anything (she was busy exploring). Needless to say it was a big no to this family.
I agree with Crayola Kiddies. Leave them and eventually they will learn to play on their own & with each other.

michellesmunchkins
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
I now have two of these! One is 3 and one is 2.

Parents are ALWAYS playing with them! It's annoying as hell IMO. DCG2 cries now when I don't hold her or entertain her. I'm sorry, but what are they going to do when they get to school!?

Exactly!!!!!

Dreamalittledream
06-25-2012, 12:16 PM
I had a 3 year old start in January (she's now 4) that was like this; with time (& probably the realization that I just don't have THAT kind of time) she has really come along way. I still struggle with the fact hat she is constantly directing her 1 year old sister's play, but she will be in school in fall so that won't be an issue. Also, there's the perfectly normal (but frustrating) rivalry of my grup of 2 year olds that seem to only want what the other has!

Inspired by Reggio
06-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Yup ~ not only is this an issue of ust being entertained all the time by adults who feel the need to plan and stimulate them every minute of the day but even when they are 'busy' so it is not the adult able to do it than it is the toy doing the 'work' for them as they sit in front while it makes noise and lights up and so forth or the TV or what not with the bells and whistles.

I do not have issues in my program for long ~ cause I wont do it ... they just get pointed towards the options out in the playroom and told 'go choose something to PLAY with'.

playfelt
06-25-2012, 03:23 PM
For me it is the evening activities. Some of these 2 and 3 year olds are run ragged being dragged from gymnastics, to swimming, to kindermusik to playgroup to ...... Then they come to daycare exhausted and I suggest a game or activity and all these imploring eyes look at me and I feel so bad for them. They have no down time at all - lest they get bored.

When they do play it is mechanical and shows very little imagination. Makes for long days for me sometimes.

jodaycare
06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Yep, seeing it big time! Children have no imagination nor do they know what to do with a toy unless it makes noise. I am seriously pondering getting rid of all my battery toys and going back to blocks, cars, dolls etc.

Play and Learn
06-25-2012, 06:36 PM
I really don't have many battery operated toys - only the Fisher Price Little People play sets.
1. it doesn't let them use their imaginations
2. it bugs the hell out of me! I don't need more noise! lol

I just have the basics: dolls & stuffies, strollers, shopping carts, play dishes & food, cars, blocks galore, dinosaurs, books, etc.