PDA

View Full Version : What do the kids call you?

sunnydays
03-17-2011, 12:59 PM
I am interested to know what your daycare kids call you, especially those of you who have your own little ones at home. I have just started providing care and have my own preschoolers at home...if I start referring to myself by my name, my own kids may start calling me that, but if I keep referring to myself as Mama, then that may be what the daycare kids call me. Any advice?

giraffe
03-17-2011, 01:16 PM
My dck call me by name and my own children call me mom and mommy (and im sure some other things when they are in trouble)

playfelt
03-17-2011, 01:20 PM
My dck call me by name but when my own were little and called me mom many of the younger daycare kids did too. It is something I kept to myself and didn't seem to confuse them in the sense of calling their own mom mom. Many little ones have the notion that all men are daddies and all women are moms so guess that sort of went along with it. By 2 1/2 - 3 I always corrected them. Even then a child excited to tell you something will say mom. It happens with school teachers too - they get mom and we get Mrs. ...... especially when they first get home and have more to tell about their day than their little brains can hold.

FS2011
03-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I kind of stumbled upon being called Mrs Jenn. It's stuck now but I didn't plan to do it. I think it's respectful but casual, I like it. Miss, mrs whatever the kids get out I'm easy. Sometimes just my first name but not often.

Emilys4Guppies
03-17-2011, 05:56 PM
My DCKs call me Emily and my own kids call me mama. I specify when I talk to them..."Give that to Emily please." "Mama said it's time to come to the table." ect.

playfelt
03-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Of my five daycare kids I only have two that actually call me anything. The others are more likely to just stand there and stare and expect me to guess they want something. Language of any kind is something we are working on.

Tot-Time
03-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I am called Miss Nicole but I do accept just Nicole :) This actually happened when I was working in a centre almost 5 years ago. One of the little guys about 6yrs old just couldn't say Nicole, so when another teacher was sounding it out for him he proudly said Miss Cole, lol. Miss Cole just sort of stuck that year as soon all the children were calling me Miss Cole. When I started my own home daycare up again about 3 1/2 yrs ago, I had a southern gentleman as a Daddy in my daycare, he insisted that his son call me Miss Nicole, and so Miss continued :)

Tot-Time
03-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Oh and my oldest daughter calls me Mommy and my youngest calls me Mamma. Truthfully I detest being called Mamma but she is perfectly bilingual and up until 2 years ago in French Public, so Mamma was more natural to her and I have slowly accepted it.