PDA

View Full Version : Yuck Yuck Yuuuuuck!!!

Cocoon
07-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Yuck yuck yuck!!! I've bought mix berries from Costco(Kirkland brand) and have been eating them for couple of weeks now. Today, while I was eating something crunched between my teeth. I looked at it and found that it is a bug!!! a frozen bug!!!

I wanted to make sure so i left it aside to de freeze and it IS! a bug with the legs ewww :( Disgusted and very angry!!! Just send Costco an email about how disappointed I am, I will see how they respond. I have never bought anything from them before. We have a friend who took us there to see if it's worth for us to buy the membership and see if we like their stuff. Well... needless to say I'm not buying anything from them anymore and also I didn't see any price difference between Superstore(where we do our shopping) and Costco.

I wonder how many bugs I have eating so far without realising :( Ewwww Yuckkkkk

sunnydays
07-04-2012, 04:09 PM
That is pretty gross! However, I shop at costco every week...we buy almost everything there and i have never had any problem! In fact, if anything the quality has mostly exceeded that of the other stores and we save a ton of money (we are a family of 5 plus the daycare). Don't let one bad experience turn you off!

Lou
07-04-2012, 04:42 PM
OMG that's disgusting!!!!!!
We've NEVER had problems with costco food- what a horrible case of bad luck!!! Blech!!!

Cocoon
07-04-2012, 04:45 PM
I never heard that Costco has good quality stuff but if you buy in bulk they said it comes to cheap compare to other stores. when I did shop there I was looking at the stuff I normally would buy. But to be honest, I didn't see much difference. One of the stuff I looked at was bread and they were selling 4 bread in 1 package and when I divide the amount they were charging it to 4 I found that there is only 15 or 20cent difference. In my family we are only 2 plus day care kids so I woulndt know how much diapers, wipes would cost. For us it wasn't a big saving and we didnt wanted to buy in bulk. We would rather eat fresh. Plus we didnt wanted to pay for a membership fee.

Cocoon
07-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Lou, I have lost count how many times I brushed my teeth and washed my mouth but not knowing how many bugs I might have eating turns my stomach upside down. :(

I thought of using bleach too :) but I don't think it is healthy.

Inspired by Reggio
07-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Yuck ~ I am another avid Costco shopper and shop enough there that my membership is 'free' every year ... IME their Kirkland brand generally is better than some 'brand names' depending on the item.

Definitely GROSS to come across something like that .... however as gross as it is to think about ~ with anything manufactured that was 'fresh and flash frozen' there is this risk ~ these are fruits coming from NATURE and being rinsed in mass and flash frozen and bagged ... so since bugs 'live' off fresh fruits / veggies too there is the small risk of a bug getting through the clean and rinse system at the manufacturer ~ to be honest I myself have eaten FRESH from the garden food where one of the little buggers was missed when we washed the lettuce! I personally would be more grossed out to find something that is not 'natural' in my food like a bandaid or fingernail or what not :ohmy:

Plus not to freak you out further - but this is likely not the first time you've eaten a bug in your processed food :( Google 'how many bugs are allowed in food supply' and you might NEVER eat a processed food item again! Amazes me what the Food inspection agencies in different countries 'allow' into our food ~ so in this case how many bugs and bug parts are considered SAFE in our food supply and sent out to consumers KNOWINGLY ... and not just in cases like this where you can SEE the product but in things like CHOCOLATE BARS where they bug is missed in the collection of coca beans and is than pureed into the item .... and all the other things cooked, canned, frozen and so forth.

Not to mention that 'bugs' are a common additive to create food coloring and flavor enhancers in our food supply. Did anyone see the big news story on the Starbucks which was outed for using 'beetles' in their red flavored drinks and not disclosing this to their 'vegan' customers that they were eating an 'animal bi-product' or the Jamie Oliver revelation that vanilla flavoring in many processed foods comes from 'beaver anal glands' because it is 'cheap' and apparently tastes good?

Yup the more I learn about 'modern food processing' the more I want to go back to Little House on the Prairie times where we might not have had as much choice or convenience but we knew exactly what was in our foods!

Momof4
07-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Haha, I grew up on a farm and we picked tomatoes and grew our own veggies and had raspberry & strawberry bushes. It's the best food ever when you eat it fresh from the garden like that, but I've met a lot of bugs and worms in food that way. I wash everything really carefully and soak things under water while washing them hoping if there are any little offenders in my food they will float to the top.

Judy Trickett
07-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Meh, they were berries - they grown in nature. Bugs and other insects are often instrumental in your getting those berries at all. As gross as it is I would not be freaking on Costco. It happens.

Spixie33
07-08-2012, 09:50 AM
It is totally gross but I guess it could happen. I find little bugs when I wash raspberries and strawberries from the store too so it must happen when they flash freeze them.

I would be horrified and grossed out but also realize it can happen.

One of my co-workers was eating a fruit bottom yogurt and found a bug in there. LOL It was sooooooooooooooo disgusting that I cannot buy fruit bottom yogurt now. I always search the blueberries and strawberries in yogurt with a laser eye because it was so disturbing and it was YEARS ago. lol

The grossest thing that still makes me gag is when I got to the last 20% of my Palmolive bottle and saw a dead fruit fly in there. I shudder to think whether it came from the store that way and how many dishes I may have washed with fruit fly germies going onto the dishes I am trying to wash. :blink:

In the end....I think we just have to realize things happen like this at some point to everyone and that some parts of the world eat bugs etc so it is not going to kill us.

REGGIO--- that stuff about the beetles at Starbucks was so gross. I thought it was a hoax when I first read the article about it in the news. I couldn't believe a big franchise could do something like that and no one knew. I never had one of those drinks but it makes me nauseous to even contemplate. lol:ohmy: Sometimes ignorance is bliss

Inspired by Reggio
07-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Honestly bugs are the least of our worries in processed foods ~ at least they are well for lack of a better word supposedly 'edible' in the sense they are no different than a cow, chicken, pig ... we find it gross only because we are just not USED to eating bugs in our culture ;)

Some of the stuff Jamie Oliver sheds in his show about how foods are processed and the chemicals used in that 'process' that do not have to be disclosed to us because they are not considered 'ingredients' but never the less the residue from those 'processes' must be carried over into the FOOD themselves .... like that animal bones are soaked in ammonia and other chemicals to help get as much of the meat off the bones as possible before grinding it into chicken, beef, pork and packaging it or they then use the 'left overs' of that process to form pink slime and add it BACK into the meat and it is than using it in your frozen shepherds pies, lasagna, chicken nuggets and other processed foods so it is 'cheaper' to produce ... talk about YACK but we all unknowingly have been eating crap like this for YEARS ;)

We as consumers have to honestly ask ourselves WHY when once upon a time 'convenience food' was more expensive to buy than FRESH foods because you paid 'extra' for that convenience because someone else used those fresh ingredients and cooked and baked and froze them for us so that made sense that they cost MORE ... however who over the years has it has become CHEAPER to eat the fast convenient foods?

WHERE have they cut corners in order to allow that to happen cause they still have to pay someone to 'make it for you' and they still have to make a profit in doing so ~ where else can they cut costs but in the ingredients used .... rather than using fresh ingredients they use the crap they cannot 'sell as fresh' to save money, rather than using REAL food products they use 'flavor enhancers' that are made from chemically produced processes and so forth because they can mass produce those for cheaper and so forth ????

Really is scary what has gotten into our food supply ... and not just food but our beauty and cleaning supplies as well :(

DaycareLulu
07-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Anything that is red in colour and states that it is natural is usually made from the Cochineal insect including smarties!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smarties

Momof4
07-09-2012, 04:12 PM
I grew up near Leamington Ontario where the big Heinz factory is located. I would hate for you to know how many insects are ground up in your ketchup, soup and anything else in a can or bottle. It's legal for them to feed us so many insect parts and feces per millilitre you know!

Spixie33
07-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I grew up near Leamington Ontario where the big Heinz factory is located. I would hate for you to know how many insects are ground up in your ketchup, soup and anything else in a can or bottle. It's legal for them to feed us so many insect parts and feces per millilitre you know!

Trying not to gag at the mere thought.
Aren't tomatoes red enough to make ketchup red??

Are there professional insect catchers out there or how do they get that many insects to use for Smarties and ketchup etc?:o

Momof4
07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Oh no, the tomatoes make the ketchup red, but the insects are just cooked in with the soup and ketchup, etc. and mixed in so you never know.

Inspired by Reggio
07-09-2012, 05:58 PM
T...Are there professional insect catchers out there or how do they get that many insects to use for Smarties and ketchup etc?:o

LMAO ... my guess is they are 'bred' for the sole purpose of food addictive cause they are cheap and easy!

And YES some ketchup has RED DYE in it so watch your labels and even than you cannot be sure because if they are using what is technically a 'spice/flavoring' to add color like the BEATLES which is 'natural' and can be called a flavoring than it will NOT be LISTED as that it will just say 'spices/flavoring' to protect their 'trade secrets' of spices / flavoring ... the 'cheaper' brands are more likely use 'cheap' tomatoes so either the ones that did not 'ripen' to be nice and juicy red but rather stayed mostly 'green' and cannot be sold for prime costs ;)

The labeling rules for ingredients have been HORRIBLE for eons ... just look at how many ingredients list 'modified' in front of them .... and consumers just assume that is all cool ... but what does MODIFIED mean?

As a Celiac it amazes me how many things have 'gluten added' to them in order to make them go farther for cheaper and poor consumers are being fed unnecessary CARBS in their food ... and we wonder why were are an obese society?

I was shocked when I was told when you buy what you think is PURE CHEESE that if it lists 'modified milk ingredients' that what you are eating is not REAL FRESH cheese anymore .... it is processed and that process likely removes MOST of the nutrients from the milk that makes 'cheese' a healthy option!

So for those cheese companies that use 'modified' milk when there was an 'excess of milk' in comparison to market demand they take that milk and chemically process it so it is DEHYDRATED and shelf stable and than it is stored for who knows how long and than when milk supply gets 'low' they than can 'rehydrate' the product and turn it into cheese with a tiny bit of 'fresher' milk and so forth .... and for someone like ME that is SCARY cause often that rehydration process can result in them adding gluten to the cheese so that it becomes 'thick/creamy' again cause much of the cream fat texture is lost in the dehydration process!

It just really is scary all the varied food processes out there!