PDA

View Full Version : DCK's birthday parties

jazmic
07-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi guys,

I had one of my clients invite my family to dcg's birthday party. She's a great client and I love dcg. She and my kids get along like a house on fire. :) I told her I wouldn't be able to make it and gave an excuse. Honestly, I don't want to blur the line between client and friend. We have great chats at pick up and drop off time and all that, but I feel like first and foremost, she's a client and not my friend. I'm just beginning to feel a bit guilty. Would you guys have gone?

Bookworm
07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
I would have done the same thing you did, make up an excuse not to attend. I don't want to mix business with friendship. Don't feel guilty, I think you did the right thing.

Inspired by Reggio
07-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Yup ~ I always politely arrange to be otherwise committed when invites like that come up. Yes it is flattering that they feel close enough to extend invites and think of you in that 'friend' category the fact is that as much as I LOVE my work and forming bonds and relationships with clients within that contexts the bottom line is it is WORK and I do not want to be doing it after hours or on my weekends ;)

Judy Trickett
07-05-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't attend ANY personal functions with dcfamilies. This is my business - not my life. Besides, once you blur that line you can not go back.

jazmic
07-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks ladies! I feel so much better knowing I made the right choice. :)

Mamma_Mia
07-05-2012, 03:09 PM
What would you do if they invite you own child because they are close friends?? Do you let your child go? Or if it's a place where you need to be there too?

I'm only asking because I've heard little clues for one dck's bday coming up...so I'd like to be prepared!

Cocoon
07-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I have received a birthday invitation from a client who started this week and she gave me the invitation on the very first day. Not planning on attending but I will buy her a present and will give it to her next week.

Inspired by Reggio
07-05-2012, 04:51 PM
What would you do if they invite you own child because they are close friends?? Do you let your child go? Or if it's a place where you need to be there too?

I'm only asking because I've heard little clues for one dck's bday coming up...so I'd like to be prepared!

Oh that is a tougher one I imagine ~ I think I would let my child choose and than do my very best to keep a professional distance perhaps making my spouse do the drop off and pick up or 'staying' if it is required!

Littledragon
07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
My son's birthday is next weekend and I didn't invite my kids. Same thing, I don't want to blur the lines. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to mingle with clients outside of the daycare because then they think they have an "in" and try to take advantage of little things and it eventually becomes an issue - well, it did for me anyways. I think you're doing the right thing by not going but that's JMO