PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage pay for daycare?

admin
02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Hello everyone!

How do you manage to pay for daycare? Are there any tips you can provide that could be useful to other parents?

Looking forward to reading you!

Stircrazy
02-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Im a parent and provider so have been on both ends. If you have more than one child then try to find a provider that will offer a discount on siblings.

Mrs. Laurie
02-08-2011, 04:46 PM
I think parents have to realize that it is expensive to raise children whether you stay home with your children or if you work outside of the home. I think shopping around and checking out different providers is the best advice but TRY (I know it is hard) to not let money be your final vote because if you talk to the provider you really want to go to maybe she can work something out with you especially if she really wants you for her daycare. Sometimes a parent can ask for a sibling discount (it is hard though because we are only allowed 5 daycare children at any given time and this is a business we are running) or ask if you help by bringing your child's food or groceries every now and then for all the children as food is our biggest expense or if there is another service you can offer your provider. For example if you are an accountant you could do her taxes for her at income tax time, a mechanic could fix her van, a restaurant owner you could give her and her family free meals, a massage therapist okay you get the picture. So ask parents you never know what your provider will say but do keep in mind if she says no it is not personal it is business and she is not a horrible person and in daycare just for the money but she has a family to financially support too and it is a hard job but we do LOVE it!

Love: Mrs. Laurie

lauramartin
02-08-2011, 08:46 PM
A lot of parents just assume they won't qualify for a government childcare subsidy but it's definitely worth finding out for sure. Even if you end up paying $30 per day instead of $40 that's a significant savings so check to find out if you qualify. I was making $37k annually before I transitioned into providing home childcare and I only paid $135 PER MONTH for childcare.

hardworknmama
02-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Thank you Mrs. Laurie for speaking so well on providers' behalf. I know it's a huge expense but private providers do have a cap on our earnings since we can only have 5 children. There is no climbing the corporate ladder here. Food and craft expenses go up every year but parents seem to expect to pay what they did 10 years ago. Good daycare is an investment into their child's welfare for 3 years that pays off when their child is well cared for, well nourished and stimulated by crafts, and play while they have peace of mind while continuing to invest in their own career.

busybee
02-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I agree hardwornmama ,groceries especially are so expensive now it is crazy.You want to provide the healthy meals and snacks ,and maybe a treat now and then and its tough while keeping your prices down.As for the corporate ladder the only thing us care givers climb is the poopy diaper ladder lol.

playfelt
01-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Also important to remember that the daycare expenses are temporary in the sense that each child will reach school age. Just as a parent of twins or triplets needs to do things at the same time you would be paying the same amount whether you had the children close together or 5 years apart so you only had one in care at a time. So for the 3-5 years you have both in care it will mean some sacrifices but realize it is temporary.

As far as asking your daycare provider for a sibling discount do not expect it to be more than a couple dollars since she too only has a limited budget to work with. They may be siblings but if you are not comfortable with the caregiver making them share one meal or one craft or take turns going on outings then realize she needs full funds for both children to provide a full program for both children. She also needs to bank any extra funds since when you leave you will create two openings meaning a big void in her income.

As daunting as daycare can be when you look at some of what you aren't paying for you can cut costs. The daycare provider is giving a meal and two snacks, providing craft supplies, that sort of thing so provide activities that don't cost a lot of money. Cook on weekends to have meals in the freezer instead of buying ready to serve foods or eating out. Take your own lunch to work instead of buying. Don't stop for a coffee on the way to work. There are sacrifices that parents can make and realizing it is only for a couple years can make it easier. Also realize that your sacrifices means that your children will be getting the best care possible when you are not with them and that is worth every sacrifice you need to make.

mamaof2monkeez
01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
I guess I look at it differently (shame on me lol). I provide all kids the equal amount of love and care, so why should I be paid less? Most times with siblings it ends up costing me more and is more risky if they give notice etc as you now have 2 spots to fill. I gave up a very highly paid management career because I didn't want to pay out for 2 kids in ft daycare....I figure it is a choice right? Don't have kids close together if you don't want to pay high daycare. I just at times feel people try to play on our emotions and make us feel guilty but bottom line this is a business and what pays our bills to provide for our families. I keep my rates competitive with other providers in my area (currently at 37 per day) I felt bad that I put them up higher BUT I had no choice after the hydro rates went up and my house insurance. I also have more qualifications than others charging the same rates, so I went ahead and did the increase. I gently tell families who ask for a discount that I prefer not to take siblings as it is more risky for my business.....that usually gets the conversation onto a different topic. Plus in my head I always think why "cheap" out on finding the best care....just my 2 cents ;-)

gcj
02-08-2012, 06:56 PM
well, Quebec is the place to be! $7 daycare! Of course as a daycare provider the rest of our income is subsidized by the governement. Downside is that it's too easy and cheap for parents to send their kids to daycare, even when it may not be necessary. And instead of reserving these spots for those who need it, it's open to EVERYone. A Dr and Lawyer (so stereo-typing) have as much right to it and a single mom working minimum wage.

mom-in-alberta
02-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Off topic; but reading about the $7/per day fees in Que makes me wonder if there will ever be a Canada wide standardization of fees and such....
There just seems to be such a HUGE variance between regions. I mean, outside of the $7, some say thier daily rate is in the low 20's and others the high 40's.
Just musing.... :p

playfelt
02-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Just as the cost of living varies from region to region so does the service industry - heck we can't even agree on the price for gas in neighbouring communities even though it comes from the same delivery truck.

What amazes me the most is the regulations with each province saying we have these standards because they are best practice - in whose eyes and obviously each province has different eyes.

Cadillac
02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
I would say apply for subsidization: most do get it and budget for daycare weekly. It breaks the sum down to a less daunting amount. It's easier to take out $250 a week and set it aside than it is to find $1000 at the end of the month.

I budget my whole life that way. Running a daycare doesn't make me that much but I end up having money to put away when I break down all my expenses this way.

$7 dollars a day? I spit out my coffee (hope the computer is ok.)

waterloo day mom
02-09-2012, 11:13 AM
No sibling discounts here. I have 5 spaces, if you take 2,3,4, whatever, you pay for those spaces. They still eat the same amount of food, use the same amound of craft materials, tissue, toys, love... Parents will look out for themselves, it's my job to look after me.

Inspired by Reggio
02-26-2012, 09:52 AM
I agree that the EASIEST way to manage to pay for daycare is to make it a priority and budget for it just like you do food and shelter ... those bills get paid first and anything else is 'extra' in the budget!

IMO sibling discounts are an oxi moron in childcare ... unlike buying something in 'bulk' where it is cheaper to make 1000 of something than it is to make 1 it does not cost me any LESS to provide care to two siblings than it does two strangers. PLUS while at the start of the relationship it might seem better to have two spaces filled quickly when those siblings leave my income is suddenly cut by 2/5 until I can fill the spaces verses just 1/5 when a singleton leaves - so it is BETTER to have singletons from a business perspective cause it is easier to fill one space at a time and budget for that 'loss' than it is to budget for 2/5 of a loss!

Also IMO offering a 'discount' sends the message that our fees are 'marked up' to allow for profit ... there is no profit in quality childcare at the end of the day after providing healthy meals and a quality early learning experience it barely pays minimum wage specially if you take into account we work 10+ hours a day .... so in order to offer a 'discount' since we cannot forgo feeding them or sheltering them or providing some sort of program we would take a pay cut for the privilege of serving a sibling set...so ya as cute as your siblings may be I think I will pass on the discount!

Most providers do not do this to make BIG BUCKS but rather to be able to afford to stay home for their own families and find work life balance!

carla
03-20-2012, 08:56 PM
just FYI if you are a parent in Alberta as of April 1 the income level to qualify for subsidy will go up. so that means if you are making 37000 and only get partial subsidy you may qualify for the full amount. When i spoke to my daycare subsidy assessor she stated they will look at all files and adjust accordingly and if you have been turned down due to to high of an income you can reapply

angelina
10-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Here in my area, (south keys) $35-60 per day is the rate. with 2 toddlers, i opted to open my home daycare. It is so true that you cannot do shortcuts on grocery, i buy jugs of OASIS and Tropicana Juice, which a frozen canned juice full of sugar will do.

If i have one toddler left and i put him on daycare, i would choose to pay $40 for quality, decent meal. LOL, that is why maybe i cannot even break even my expenses. The fruits and vegetable prices are climbing up the ladder, and so as diapers.

I am lucky to have a private care with a parent who is very nice, and share same values as I am. I go to playgroups for crafts and most of the time (toddler boys), just love to roll on the grass, sled on the snow. Daycare is definitely expensive, and my hopes of climbing the corporate ladder is the same routeas my monkey bar skills. It is not going anywhere and my 3 year old is doing a better job.:)
I would love to find a parent who will watch my kids for 2 hours after work - so I can go to the gym. And yes, she can get discounted rate in my daycare. We should trade services. LOL

Rachael
08-15-2014, 03:21 PM
I don't offer sibling discounts either. Here on the East Coast, I have just put my prices up to $35 a day and that's too high for many, many. Care can be found for about $30 in this area and of course, there's always the work under the table day carers who will do it for even less - with food.

It's not often I am asked for a sibling discount but I am not financially responsible to support a strangers family due to their money situation, which is effectively what the request for a sibling discount is. It's removing my income, to make their expenses more manageable.

Playschool teacher
06-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to say that whilst officially there are some dayhomes with fixed rates. There is no harm in asking again. I have done that with a beauty salon where i am a regular customer and i have a specialized rate so too if you are happy with the provider you have chosen then see if you can come to some arrangement where it could be a win win situation.

Suzie_Homemaker
06-22-2015, 10:29 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to say that whilst officially there are some dayhomes with fixed rates. There is no harm in asking again.

I disagree. When a parent tries to nickle and dime me and pass their over stretched financial issue on to my family, I am offended. I work hard and long hour. I make barely min wage after expenses if full. If someone wants discount, when already local market means home day care earns less than $11 an hour, then that shows me they likely will argue over everthing.

Experience shows, those who ask for discounts, are the same people here on doorstep the second key is turned and last to leave at end of day. They are parents who want their 18month old to stop napping even though he falling over tired and they are the ones who show up, every damn stat day even though closed.
So I disagree. Asking a day carer to cut their pay, does do harm. It's offensive. If you happy with your provider, pay her fees. If not, go somewhere else. But stop cutting the income of the lowest earners so you can have your vacation each year, two cars and trips to the beauty salon. And don't dare whine about fees, as you flick through your iphone, telling us how tight finances are and how you can't wait to go on cruise next month 'cause you exhausted. Totally disrespectful and on the occasion I've been asked for discount, that person hasn't been given the place.
It is two way interview afterall.

TinyTwigs
06-23-2015, 08:54 AM
I disagree. When a parent tries to nickle and dime me and pass their over stretched financial issue on to my family, I am offended. I work hard and long hour. I make barely min wage after expenses if full. If someone wants discount, when already local market means home day care earns less than $11 an hour, then that shows me they likely will argue over everthing.

Experience shows, those who ask for discounts, are the same people here on doorstep the second key is turned and last to leave at end of day. They are parents who want their 18month old to stop napping even though he falling over tired and they are the ones who show up, every damn stat day even though closed.
So I disagree. Asking a day carer to cut their pay, does do harm. It's offensive. If you happy with your provider, pay her fees. If not, go somewhere else. But stop cutting the income of the lowest earners so you can have your vacation each year, two cars and trips to the beauty salon. And don't dare whine about fees, as you flick through your iphone, telling us how tight finances are and how you can't wait to go on cruise next month 'cause you exhausted. Totally disrespectful and on the occasion I've been asked for discount, that person hasn't been given the place.
It is two way interview afterall.

Suzie couldn't have said it any better! Its not our responsibility to give you a discount if you can't afford daycare. If you can't afford it don't have kids until you do. That may should harsh but it is the truth. Budget out EXACTLY what is needed for your child in the first few years of life and if you can't afford it don't have children until your ready. When having children comes a lot of responsibilities and one of those is daycare. I also do not agree in the child and tax credits! I am sick of people complaining about daycare costs. its so ignorant that people always look at the monthly fee, no one takes into consideration our time, meal prep, food costs, education, activities, craft supplies, parental stress I mean the list just goes on and on! Why should I decrease my rates for someone to have my own family suffering in the end? I don't think so

Suzie_Homemaker
06-23-2015, 10:26 AM
When parent take 10-20% cut of pay for my family to be more comfortable,
When gas station give you discount for filling two cars
When grocery store slashes prices for larger families,

Come back to me then and we will maybe discuss.

Parent would be horrified if after asking for discount, they had to pick which of their children get 20% less food, love, heat, clean sheets, clean facecloth, cuddles or attention yet giving that discount mean our whole family gets less of all these things.

Families might want a second car but if they can't afford it, most will stick with one. When families want a second child but can't afford it, they ask day care provider to cut fees AFTER child is born. No. Not okay.

No other self employed business person is made to close the doors to their business after 4-6 customers every day. Yet with income being capped by numbers, how can any parent think that asking for a discount "does not harm"?

teddybear
06-23-2015, 10:47 AM
Well said Suzie_Homemaker. I'm tired of the parents who think we need to help them. In my experience, these were always the parents who also ended up leaving with no notice and money owing.

TinyTwigs
06-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Also confused that parents think the only way you would be doing them a favour is by charge less for having two kids. I would charge more just for the fact that that's almost half my pay! The fact that you have 2 kids and someone is willing to give away two spots to you is a favour in its self. I had a lady that wanted me to take 12 month old twins, I considered it but then when I met with her she acted all demanding, asking for discount, food replacements etc etc...that interview ended very quickly by her existing the same way she entered.

Suzie_Homemaker
06-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Sibling children actually more work than non-siblings. They buddy up and try and rule roost. They also high risk in terms having income slashed if family moves away. Typically, parent with multi-children in care, push terms of service more, feeling they in position of power with regard small income and they often are.

To think that sibling discount would apply when this one of trickiest scenario's is naive. If anything, siblings should be charged higher rate not less. We limited in spaces and can fill spaces with single child families which more secure income.

I have additional terms I in contract for siblings due to risks. I require 4 weeks notice from either side (me and client) to term contract with no reason. If more than one child in my care, I require 6 - and I also give 6 as keeping them together can be hard short notice.

Why any parent would think that sibling discount in small dayhome is incentive for them, blows mind. It like showing up at Jaguar and asking for Honda pricing. If you can't afford two Jags at list price, then really, in wrong showroom for budget.

betsy
10-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Shop around.

Some care-providers may provide care as an income-supplement, or because the care-provider is on maternity leave, or the care-provider's main objective is to have a playmate for her child, (so they may be flexible with how much they're willing to charge). Also sometimes rates do vary depending on location, experience and training.
A daycare that just opened up may be willing to give a discount to one or two spaces for a year, just so to get started - it's easier to get more spaces filled if you already have children since parents usually want playmates for their kids.

Don't hesitate to try to negotiate diplomatically.

Sometimes care providers are willing to bend back for someone they feel positive with. That good "chemistry" between parent and care provider at times count a lot.

Suzie_Homemaker
10-06-2015, 11:07 AM
well, Quebec is the place to be! $7 daycare! Of course as a daycare provider the rest of our income is subsidized by the governement. Downside is that it's too easy and cheap for parents to send their kids to daycare, even when it may not be necessary. And instead of reserving these spots for those who need it, it's open to EVERYone. A Dr and Lawyer (so stereo-typing) have as much right to it and a single mom working minimum wage.

And because cost of system so expensive, it paid for by tax payer across whole country. If NDP get in with their promise of $15 child care across country, will be interesting to see what happen to Quebec's system when other provinces no longer have funds to donate to one.

sandylynn
10-07-2015, 07:18 AM
so if the government subsidizes the rest of your income....how exactly does that work....let's say I charge 40 a day....the government pays 33 /day...????

babydom
10-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Sandylynn u can't set ur rate. If u want to set it and charge 40$ then parents pay u 40. Parents get no discount. If u want to go through a licensed agency to accept the 7$/day families then u can't set ur rates. The parents will pay u 7$ and once a mth the agency pays u the difference which is around 28$ so u'd make 35 a day. And u can not mix it. Some private at 40/day and some at 7/day. It's either or.

Suzie_Homemaker
10-07-2015, 07:06 PM
so if the government subsidizes the rest of your income....how exactly does that work....let's say I charge 40 a day....the government pays 33 /day...????

I capped. Set fee for provider. Parent pay some, tax payer pay rest. Instead of parent budget short term expense of daycare until child go school, tax payer pays more than half fee, forever.

blackcomb
10-30-2016, 06:00 PM
We still need to earn enough too as a provider, am not just giving it away, you pay for what you get, quality care costs, anyone paying someone $7, how does that person survive on such a low wage, children are a lot of work too. I charge the same rate for each child, it's a spot, no pay, no spot.