PDA

View Full Version : Sympathy Cries???

michellesmunchkins
07-06-2012, 05:57 AM
I have a little one in care, she's adorable and so sweet. 14 months old. She is very timid and shy but always happy and smiling, UNLESS someone else cries. If another child cries (and I am transitioning a new 11 month old) this little one will SCREAM as if she's being killed. As soon as I have the other child calm and done crying this other little one will stop instantly and smile again...was really cute the first few times but now its driving me nuts...I've never had a child do this before...suggestions ?? I talk to her too while calming my newbie down but she just screams louder...most times even louder than the new child....

Judy Trickett
07-06-2012, 06:47 AM
This is called empathy crying. It's normal for that age and there isn't really anything you can do for it but allow her to grow out of it.

Momof4
07-06-2012, 08:34 AM
I have a little boy who is the best faker on earth and he cries if he falls down, if somebody takes his toy or just if somebody looks at him the wrong way and also if somebody else is crying. I look at him sternly and say with a firm, loud voice 'No crying, you are fine' or something similar. He turns it off like a light switch. At home he probably gets something like, 'oh my poor baby' but here I call him on his nonsense and don't let him get away with it.

If this is driving you crazy then don't let it continue. Be firm with the little girl and tell her it is not acceptable to use her loud voice in the house.

Inspired by Reggio
07-06-2012, 12:16 PM
This is called empathy crying. It's normal for that age and there isn't really anything you can do for it but allow her to grow out of it.

I agree ~ just send her the message that 'shhhh its ok Michelle is helping little Johhny' so you are sending the message she does not NEED to cry too cause SHE is ok and perhaps instead of screaming herself trying to get her to come rub his back or show empathy in some other manner verses crying herself .... kids are smart if you offer them an alternative outlet that still meets their needs they will generally take it.