PDA

View Full Version : Starting a private dayhome in Saskatchewan

CountryMommy
07-07-2012, 12:43 AM
We have just recently moved to Saskatchewan from Alberta. In Alberta, I ran a licensed, accredited dayhome. I am wanting to start a dayhome again here, but am kind of clueless about how to go about opening a private dayhome.

When I was licensed, I got a t-4 slip for tax purposes. They told me what all the rules and regulations were, what I needed to purchase, what kind of insurance I needed, etc.

What do I need to start a private dayhome? Do I need a business license? Register the business? I know I need insurance for the dayhome as well as extra vehicle insurance if I choose to transport. I know the age/ratio limits that are applicable to me. I am mainly wanting to know what paperwork I need to get ready before I can start my dayhome (permits, registering, licenses, etc).

Also, about financially managing the dayhome. Do I need separate receipts for dayhome vs home expenses? What receipts do I keep? How do you record your income, as in, do you give the parents invoices/receipts for each payment?

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Even though I've operated a dayhome before, starting a private one in a new province is making me feel like I know nothing. ;)

Toregone
07-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm not certian of the rules in Sask but for tax purposes here is a great website from the CRA that helps figure out how to claim daycare expenses etc. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/p134/p134-e.html#Top

You do not need seperate reciepts, the amount you claim just needs to be "reasonable". Keep any and all reciepts. Food, toys, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, craft supplies, things you buy to improve your home.. everything. Even if it ends up being needed it is better to have it than not. The only reciepts I don't keep are things like liquor store, hubby's cigarettes, my clothes etc. Those can not have anything to do with the dayhome so they are not needed, but everything else is kept for sure.

My parents have asked for yearly reciepts as they don't want to lose any of them and I am fine with that. I should be keeping better track of my incoming monies but often I find myself lapsing on that. However all my parents pay me through email money transfer so I have emails to fall back on. My system that I set in place and forget to use is an excel spread sheet that has months listed across the top and parents names along the side. Then I fill in the amounts and it auto sums it for totals at year end. It's quite easy to set up.

From what I understand you do not need to register your business however you can if you wish. If you do not register you will need to provide parents with your SIN for thier tax purposes. As for permits and licenses here in Alberta you do not need any, but perhaps that varies in Sask.

Hope this helps!