PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out

adelaide
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi all,

I'm an ECE graduate and I've just started advertising my home child care this week. I haven't actually opened yet (starting in September) but I'm wondering how to do a"transition" week when I don't already have a program running. For example, if I already had 3 DCK's and a new one was starting, I understand how to do a transition week for the new one but if I have 3 starting in September, what do I do then? Do I schedule all three to come for an hour with parents the first day, then 2 hours (one with parent, one without) the next day, etc with each family coming at the same time? I just don't really know the best way to slowly start everyone. Btw, I don't have anyone lined up yet (but I have interest! *crosses fingers*) but I need help figuring this out ahead of time. Thanks in advance for your advice!

adelaide
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Hi all,

I'm an ECE graduate and I've just started advertising my home child care this week. I haven't actually opened yet (starting in September) but I'm wondering how to do a"transition" week when I don't already have a program running. For example, if I already had 3 DCK's and a new one was starting, I understand how to do a transition week for the new one but if I have 3 starting in September, what do I do then? Do I schedule all three to come for an hour with parents the first day, then 2 hours (one with parent, one without) the next day, etc with each family coming at the same time? I just don't really know the best way to slowly start everyone. Btw, I don't have anyone lined up yet (but I have interest! *crosses fingers*) but I need help figuring this out ahead of time. Thanks in advance for your advice!

sunnydays
07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Personally, I wouldn't start three new children at once! I always leave a minimum of 2 weeks between new children starting...that way each one has a bit of time to adjust and for you to get to know them before another one starts. Starting three babies at once sounds like chaos, especially if it is also your first time doing daycare in your home. My suggestion is to stagger start dates to give them and you time to adjust gradually...at least 2 weeks between them, maybe even more. Good luck!

Crayola kiddies
07-10-2012, 02:20 PM
I agree I wouldn't either .... But chances are your not going to find clients who all want to start on the same day anyway. It takes time to find clients and fill your daycare unless there is a huge demand in your area with a shortage of providers. Good luck with your new adventure !

Starshine
07-10-2012, 03:34 PM
In my experience, transition days are not worth the hassle. Unless the parents request it, I will not do them again.

michellesmunchkins
07-10-2012, 03:40 PM
In my experience, transition days are not worth the hassle. Unless the parents request it, I will not do them again.

Agreed, I only offer them if the parent is requesting them...and usually I try to talk them out of it. A day here and there doesn't show a child what daycare is all about. I'm a cold turkey girl and find this works way better in my program. Some will disagree but we each do what works best :)

Momof4
07-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I like to have the Mom come for the first morning and spend an hour or two with us to make sure she is comfortable and the child is feeling a bit at home with us.

I had one Mom and daughter who had such severe separation anxiety I let the Mom stay every morning for a couple of hours. This is also why I like to start children 1-2 days/week the month before the Mom goes back to work.

Once I had a Mom stay all the way until after lunch and until her son was tucked into bed. It was because we were getting along so well and I loved having her company for the morning. She turned out to be my favourite client.

My advice is to do what is best for you as we all do, no matter what advice we give to each other. For me, it depends on the parent, the child, the entire situation. My newest boy started cold turkey full-time because his Mom is already back to work and he's working out fine too.

Inspired by Reggio
07-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I do transitioning in - specially with infants - because from my experience they have always been more beneficial than when I have had to start an cold turkey child due to circumstances not allowing the wean in ... i HATE listening to babies cry so for me it is worth the investment to wean them in as it builds trust for both the parent and for the babe and this lowers anxiety levels that babe feels off the parent and feeds off of!

However I agree that a 'day here and there' is not ideal.

I have parents come for ideally three 2 hour play dates prior to the child having to be here more if they are able too ~ ideal two in the morning time like 8- 10 and another day 10-12 and one in the pm 3 - 5 ~ these I admit are for the benefit of the PARENT and MYSELF mostly because they allow the parent to get comfortable seeing the program in action and to meet all the parents at pick up time and be 'introduced' to the program so that their 'anxiety' about leaving their child here is basically non existent cause they do not have to 'imagine' what is going one they have seen it first hand ... plus they allow ME to see how the parent handles their child, soothes the child when upset and so forth so that I have an idea what the child's cues are for feeding / sleep /diaper and so forth. During these play dates I also ask the parent to LEAVE the play area and go read a book and just 'listen' for us so that they are out of site and I can see how the babe is going to do and try to soothe them myself and if they are having a anxiety attack and are not wanting me than the parent can come back and help to assure them that 'mama or dada ALWAYS comes back and you can trust Reggio in the meantime' .... this is specially important for children who are not 'daycare ready' and have never been cared for by anyone but a parent cause daycare is VERY SCARY for them!

Than ideally the week or two before the parent is suppose to start work full time I have them start coming EVERY day but on a short weaned in time frame .... so on the Monday they come at their normal drop off time so mom and babe start getting use to getting up and back to work routine and babe stay for a planned 2 hours but if REALLY not coping mom gets a call to come back, next day based on first days experience we increase the time and so forth until the Friday before they have to start they have worked up to a full day and usually doing this I end up having a child starting Full time on the Monday who does not CRY ALL DAY and I am able to comfort and sooth them as needed if they do get anxious.

When I started out fresh with no kids I staggered my start dates by 2 week intervals ... my first kid was my nephew - he did not need weaning in ;) Than I had a 2 year old who started cold turkey after her 3 play dates with mom cause she was 'ready and eagar' and did not need a wean in .... so I had her and my nephew for a week start and had another child doing 'visits' with their parent that week and they started solo the next week and the week after and so forth ... so I never had two kids BRAND new at the same time!

playfelt
07-10-2012, 05:03 PM
It can actually make it easier on the kids if there are other kids in the daycare when they start instead of just the caregiver and child - sort of a chance for diversion. I have started kids at the same time and found it easier than one at a time in the sense that they didn't automatically choose me as their comfort item for daycare and instead were more inclined to play with the toys and show interest in what the others were doing.

What about having a couple playdates with moms and kids so everyone gets to meet everyone else and then do just kids.

adelaide
09-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the replies :) As it turned out, I only had one child starting this week anyway with a second one starting the middle of next week so that's just the way it worked out. For the first child, she came with her mother for an hour visit the week before starting care (because that's when we could work it out - I was still technically working at my job) and just finished two days here no problem. Next week, my second child starts on Wednesday but is coming for a visit with mom on Tuesday so we'll see how that goes. I appreciate everyone's thoughts though - I'm glad I found this forum - It's been very helpful, especially since I'm just starting out.