PDA

View Full Version : Really Trying Not To Take All The Rejection Personally...

Sandbox Sally
07-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Since our move, I have had four interviews. I had seven scheduled, but three backed out before they even met me.

So...so far:
-one decided not to go back to work after all
-one signed, but then dropped the bomb at the last min that she only needed 11 days per month, after telling me full time.
-one is a SAHM but divorcing and can no longer afford to send her toddler to daycare
-one is a teacher's kid, and she found care from someone who takes only teacher's kids.
-one dropped a bomb of a different sort, insisting I provide 6am to 6pm, or she wouldn't sign.
-one did sign, but he's only 2 days per week.

I am so frustrated, sad, hurt, and feeling very down on myself. I did get two great kids for the summer, but they're only until labour day. My income has taken a nose dive, and even email inquiries don't ever follow up after I send my reply.

In our old city, I felt like I did a great job, felt in demand, and like I had a little extra to offer...now I just feel like giving up. It's saturated here, and we even have people with their ECE (I don't have mine) offering $20 days.

Just venting. My ego is crushed.

Momof4
07-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Oh hugs, I feel your pain and have been in those shoes. It is really hard to take all the rejection and keep your head up high sometimes. Starting up is so hard and it's taking a long time for you isn't it? I can understand how it's really getting on your nerves, but you know you are awesome, so keep plugging away. They will find you!

michellesmunchkins
07-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Its the area hon..I did a 1km search in my area just to see and 45 home daycares came up...most of which charge way less than I do. Keep plugging away it comes eventually...althoug h mine are ALL part time and its a b**** to schedule but some income is better than nothing! Its a hard region, I wasn't joking when I replied to one threat about how every second house here is a home daycare. The right families will find you soon!!!

Inspired by Reggio
07-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Oh hon that sucks for sure ... location really does play a role in any business unfortunately ~ it might take longer but you will find your 'diamonds in the rough' willing to invest in a quality program!

Personally I would rather be a greeter at Walmart or a fry flipper at McDonalds than lower my rates to compete with people charging $20 a day as it is not worth the 'stress' to do this for less than what I already am making .... I charge $35 a day and after expenses I make a little less than minimum wage working as hard as I do for my program .... so if they are only charging $20 they are making WAY LESS than minimum wage at those rates OR they are not offering a program that I would be able to be proud of either cutting corners on food, program supplies OR going over ratio to make up the difference and well that would not be an option ~ I need to feel proud and passionate about what I am doing!

Toregone
07-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Aww I'm so sorry to hear that. As you said you have done this before so you know you provide a good program and quality care. Don't get down on yourself or think of sacraficing parts of your program/reduce fees to get clients. I understand that you need income but you have to think, do you want parents that want quality care or the ones willing to cheap out on the person that is responsible for thier childs welfare.

You WILL find parents willing to pay more than bargain basement prices because that know it's for quality. Thier children will eat better, do enriching activities and have a GOOD provider. I personally wouldn't want parents that are willing to think of price as the main thing they look for. Of course price has to play a huge factor but when faced with a $20 per day you have to wonder what activites these children do or what the provider feeds them. If the less expensive options are all these parents can afford would you run into problems with them paying on time, arguing about stats sick days etc.?

With the cost of running a daycare I know that if you charge so little you can't be serving them fresh fruit and veggies, from scratch meals with real meat (ie not chicken nuggets, burgers and hotdogs) etc. There just wouldn't be any worth while profit after crafts supplies, food, new toys and all the other million little expenses that come up.

Other than the bargain basement providers how do you compare to others in your area? What is the range and where do you fall within it? The only way I would consider a rate drop is if you are in fact charging significantly more than most others within the area.

Sandbox Sally
07-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Other than the bargain basement providers how do you compare to others in your area? What is the range and where do you fall within it? The only way I would consider a rate drop is if you are in fact charging significantly more than most others within the area.

What do you consider significant? The average here, I was told by my friends, is between $35 and $40 per day. All the daycarebear listings for my area are set at $35. I was trying to charge $38 per day which I thought was a happy middle of the road, but I think I've all but given up on that... I was trying to raise the bar a bit. This is not a lot of money, IMO.The way I look at it, for parents, this is an extra $15 per week, but for me, it is potentially a $75 per week extra for me.

I DO go the extra mile, promoting healthy eating, physical activity, lots of outdoor time, sensory play, reading, etc.

I have had my ad up for the better part of two months now. I have been in town for going on four weeks. I guess the interest is sort of there, but it's just a matter of finding those special families who will actually sign on the dotted line.

Thank you all so much for the encouragement.

Inspired by Reggio
07-11-2012, 12:48 PM
I empathize Alphaghetti ....when I started out initially I was with an agency which costs clients using the 'agency' between $45 - 55 a day to contract service through them and they than contracted service through me and paid me $30 a day per child the remained being kept to cover their overhead ... so I thought it would be a 'bargin' to charge private clients not going through the agency a $40 a rate to contract care directly through me if desired .... after all regardless you are getting the SAME service from me just that those going through the 'agency' can apply for subsidy from the government if they cannot afford the full fee and so it would be 'cheaper' for private clients to contract through me and well I have my RECE, 20 years experience, an indepth program with lots of expenses and so forth.

However the fact was that while the 'range' of fees in my CITY is $25 - 40 a day ... in my direct 5 km neighborhood the 'average' is more like $25 ... so me being $15 a day over the average in this neck of the woods I was not getting bites at ALL and well the agency was usless cause there is a subsidy freeze and wiating lists a mile long so they could not refer me anyone cause no one wants to pay their 'market rate' for their service when they can get private care for $20 or more a day cheaper!

I ended up lowering my fees to $32 a day for over two and $35 for under 2 ... and I filled up and than I have slowly increased my 'soft' fees as my business and reputation of referrals has grown by adding in additional time off but clients are paying for the 'space' so it is a different kind of raise for me!

Toregone
07-11-2012, 02:00 PM
If all the listing in your direct area are $3 less than you than perhaps you are too high? Although don't take that as advice... I know very little about daily fees (my area charges monthly) and what goes into setting those. I know you said you are middle of the road for your city/town but you have to think of what is in close proximity to you.

Where I live is an older part of my city and although my neighbourhood itself is quite nice and well kept bordering me are several low income neighbourhoods. I had to take this into consideration when setting my fees because although I have seen fees in my city of $800/month or higher the average surrounding me is more like $550 - $700. So I did $650 and intend on raising my fees over time through small increases and things like paid time off.

Again as I said previously though there are parents willing to pay for quality and not have price as the main consideration so I wouldn't think of decreasing fees at this point. I live in Edmonton which is a larger city and I had ads placed for over 2 months before I signed on my first child (other than drop in care) and that was only part time. Once I got the first however I filled the rest of the spaces within the month. When it rains it pours!

dodge__driver11
07-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Hey Alpha,

Maybe I could take a look at your ad, and others from the area...Just to see? PM me if you want?

Sandbox Sally
07-11-2012, 03:33 PM
I live in a pretty small town - everyone is in my "direct area". dodge, sure...what did you want me to PM you, exactly? My website? My dcb listing? or my kijiji listing?

Inspired by Reggio
07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Might just be 'small town' syndrome than ~ does the city have organized playgroups for mamas on mat leave and so forth ~ Ontario Early Years run, local library, in churches or other ones ~ when I was starting out being able to get known by those who run these programs was a huge help with the word of mouth referrals of clients?

dodge__driver11
07-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Alpha, I looked at all info you gave..Sorry I didn't get back with you, been a busy day, trying to keep a little guy cool in almost forty degree temp....Honestly I really have nothing to say, in a good way, your ads, your webpage..Everything is great....All I can maybe offer is perhaps do contract instead of operating hours that helped me fill here.

Sending good vibes your way...

Cadillac
07-11-2012, 08:52 PM
It will get better. You're starting ALL OVER AGAIN. Remember what it was like? it'll pick up as people get to know you. Have cards on you all the time and hand them out to pregnent ladies and new moms. I'm so sorry you are having a hard time. must be tough, especially after a move.

The reasons they are backing out is not YOU. remember that. It's all their own stupidness or personal situations.

Set up an area for testimonials on your site if you don't already have one and get your old clients from the city to post references for you. That's always really helped me.

Sandbox Sally
07-12-2012, 11:27 AM
It will get better. You're starting ALL OVER AGAIN. Remember what it was like? it'll pick up as people get to know you. Have cards on you all the time and hand them out to pregnent ladies and new moms. I'm so sorry you are having a hard time. must be tough, especially after a move.

The reasons they are backing out is not YOU. remember that. It's all their own stupidness or personal situations.

Set up an area for testimonials on your site if you don't already have one and get your old clients from the city to post references for you. That's always really helped me.

Thanks, love. Your words really help. :wub:

dodge__driver11
07-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes I agree with Cad, do this as well :)

Wonderwiper
07-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Please do not take it personally....so not your fault!! I am in the same boat too, just placed my ad for my daycare in my new house and have had a whopping 2 responses. One that I posted about on here this morning and one who clearly did not read my ad stating that I have an October spot for age under 4....asked for July care for a 7 year old. I think I was really lucky in my last house...had great families set up before I even opened. Looks like it won't be so easy this time!! Hang in there, I've got my fingers crossed that it will start raining perfect families for both of us!!!

maragurl
07-16-2012, 11:16 AM
I am so frustrated!!!
I have advertized for months, (kijiji, craigslist) daycare bear sent out flyers and still my daycare has spaces!!! This is my only income, I dont have a hubby's income to hold us over until ...... I am at the end of my rope. I have been doing this for 7yrs when I tansfered my daycare i had apply for a new licence all over again which put me further behind and now I am really struggling
:( Any suggestions

Junelouise
07-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Since our move, I have had four interviews. I had seven scheduled, but three backed out before they even met me.

So...so far:
-one decided not to go back to work after all
-one signed, but then dropped the bomb at the last min that she only needed 11 days per month, after telling me full time.
-one is a SAHM but divorcing and can no longer afford to send her toddler to daycare
-one is a teacher's kid, and she found care from someone who takes only teacher's kids.
-one dropped a bomb of a different sort, insisting I provide 6am to 6pm, or she wouldn't sign.
-one did sign, but he's only 2 days per week.

I am so frustrated, sad, hurt, and feeling very down on myself. I did get two great kids for the summer, but they're only until labour day. My income has taken a nose dive, and even email inquiries don't ever follow up after I send my reply.

In our old city, I felt like I did a great job, felt in demand, and like I had a little extra to offer...now I just feel like giving up. It's saturated here, and we even have people with their ECE (I don't have mine) offering $20 days.

Just venting. My ego is crushed.

Hey, keep the ad running, there will be more inquiries. Do not worry about the $ 20 per day people..they will have 8 - 12 kids in their care. I have seen ECE providers that are horrible..so don't let that designation scare you. At least you are getting responses..I have had my ad on Daycare bear since last October and kijiji since December, only ONE response..just renewed it again today..the last one had 189 views in detail but NO calls or emails. Hang in there! Find an Early Years centre and put an ad up there..mothers with babies who are looking for when they go back to work.