PDA

View Full Version : What can or do parents do to establish and maintain a good relationship with you?

Dayhome Mamma
07-15-2012, 02:24 PM
This past friday, I had a few parents pick up their child as we were in the backyard, and both were so thankful and told me how much they appreciate me in front of each other, which was great! So it got me wondering, if we had to teach them about this, what can or should parents do to establish and maintain a good relationship in general with their childcare providers?

Cocoon
07-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Well since your families mentioned in front of each other that how much they appreciate your help maybe you should answer your question first. :) You must have done something or doing things to establish good relationship. :)

I personally, am doing nothing to establish or maintain the relationship. I talk to them just the way I talk to my husband or friends. If we are on the same line than it is great but if not I don't offer them the spot anyway. It's kind a my way or high way :)

sunnydays
07-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Definitely showing appreciation is key! Whenever I have had a parent express appreciation for me or something I have done, it makes me feel like it was worth it and that all the hard work I do does not go unnoticed. A little thank you goes a long way! Yes, they are paying for the service, but that does not mean they should nor recognize our hard work and effort. I really think that recognition is key :)

Momof4
07-15-2012, 08:57 PM
I love the parents who thank me and then ask their child to thank me for taking care of them all day. Glad to hear that you have appreciative parents too because it makes our job so nice when we have all great families for clients.

I'm not sure I grasp your question though Dayhome Mamma. Do you mean you want to cultivate friendships with your daycare clients? I know some people have parties now and then and invite the parents but I don't do that. I want the parents to respect me a a businesswoman and know that we have a legal contract that they must follow at all times. I also want them to know that I am caring for, educating, exercising and entertaining their child and that is where my nurturing side comes out.

I had a graduation party last year where all the children's families attended and it turned out great. Everybody came. But I don't think I will do that again.

Dayhome Mamma
07-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Not really looking to cultivate friendships from the parents though I could see maybe one of us hanging out outside of this once I finish caring for their child in my dayhome setting. I have learnt that its best to keep friendships and business separate, but I try not to make anyone feel like that. I guess what I was meaning to ask was if there were any kind of particular things you think parents could do to establish and maintain a good relationship with a provider. I personally think that speaking up to tell them how much you appreciate them is key for sure and one of the best things they could do. But then there are others, like I had one family who would bring me a little box of pastries or cinnamon buns from my favourite bakery just out of the blue a couple times a year(they didn't know it was my favourite but it was:), I had one mom bring me cupcakes on my birthday, a couple of families who gave me a shopping gift certificate for christmas, etc. So i was wondering about ideas like that, if anyone had any. Or if tables were turned, what would you do?

Wonderwiper
07-16-2012, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=Dayhome Mamma;19961]Not really looking to cultivate friendships from the parents though I could see maybe one of us hanging out outside of this once I finish caring for their child in my dayhome setting.

This exact thing happened with me when I closed my daycare to go on mat leave and move. On the last day, parents that I had always got along really well with sort of asked if we could be friends, ha ha!! Was quite funny, but they said they thought I was "cool" and it would be fun to get together for playdates, BBQ etc. It's great now that I no longer care for their kids!!!

Momof4
07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
It is super nice when parents bring you a little gift on the spur of the moment, but you can't count on it. I had a Mom who brought me a Timmie's tea almost every morning, I've had flowers and little gifts brought to me every once in a while and it makes my day. But you know what? The best gift I can receive is an email from a parent telling me that they appreciate me and respect me and value me.