PDA

View Full Version : Summer Vacations

Harmony
03-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Hi everyone, this forum is such a great idea. I have been operating my own family daycare for a year now. Prior to that I worked in a group daycare for four years.

Just a quick question regarding July and August. Does anyone charge their families for their own personal holidays? Also, during July and August (which I consider flexible months) I only charge my families for the days their children are attending. Does anyone else do this? During the rest of the year I do charge based on enrollment not attendance.

Thanks for your input :)

Play and Learn
03-23-2011, 07:22 PM
I accept teachers children, and husband and I do not rely heavy on my daycare income. So we have decided to put in my manual:
- I do not ask for payment when I take holidays - because I can take up to 6-7 weeks for holidays, we just don't find it fair that parents pay me
- I also do not have paid sick days

Pretty much, if I'm closed, you do not pay.

If I have teachers children and they stop coming end of June, I will ask for a two week deposit to save their space when they'll start up again end of August. I'm off for 3 weeks in July, and then will reopen if kids want to come. Again, for me, it's not about the money, it's about caring for the children - I absolutely love it!

Harmony
03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks Play and Learn. I agree with you, I have only taken two days off during Christmas, which I did not charge for. Most of my families are teachers and I do not charge them for July and August and guarantee their spot again in September.

fruitloop
03-23-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't charge families for my own personal holidays. I charge my teacher families half fees over the summer to hold their spot and they can bring their child up to 6 times during that month. As much as I love working with children, I do depend on this as my income and can't afford for my income to drop 3/4 over the summer so I need to charge something. I have bills to pay too and as much as I would love to hold a spot for free, I have been burnt in the past with holding a spot for a family only to have them give notice (grandma was going to look after child for free) leaving me with no income. Because of this, I no long hold spots for free.

giraffe
03-23-2011, 08:48 PM
If I am not available to provide care hen I do NOT charge the families. All other days are paid days.

Tot-Time
03-24-2011, 12:13 PM
I do charge for my holidays and I charge for the parents holidays. My parents pay the same fees every week, 52 weeks a year. Now if I was to take an extended amount of time off, or more than what is allowable in my contract, then defintely they would see a reduction.

In the area I live in, it is normal for a caregiver to be paid for stats, 2 weeks in the summer, 2 - 5 sick days, and the week between Christmas and New Years. I know thought it isn't like this everywhere.

Sunflower
03-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I also charge all stats and my summer and Christmas time off ( total vacation of 4 weeks) It is the norm in my area. I do not, however charge for days when I am closed due to illness

momto3plus1angel
03-24-2011, 01:30 PM
It's funny how much "normal" can vary from place to place even within the same province.
Here most people get paid only when they are available other than stats. I get paid for my stats, when dck are off sick or for vacation but when I book off for vacations I don't get paid or if I take a sick day but for those most of the parents pay me regardless.

fruitloop
03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
My families also pay for stat days, their holidays and I allow myself 10 sick/personal/bereavement type days that are paid as well.