PDA

View Full Version : Stress!

Starshine
07-16-2012, 08:28 PM
If you have worked outside of the home (or from home doing something else), how do you find that operating a daycare compares in terms of your stress level?

Momof4
07-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I always worked outside the home when my children were small. As a single Mom I had to work a 5 day a week office job and cleaned offices Wed. evenings and Sunday afternoons. My stress level was about 1000%.

The 10 years before I opened my daycare I worked at a medical lab and I hated the women there and my stress level was about 1000%.

When I opened my home daycare my first customer was my grandson and the first year was stressful but by the second year and thereafter I've never been happier or less stressed. My blood pressure has gone to normal and my cholesterol level is normal. Stress WILL kill you!

Inspired by Reggio
07-17-2012, 06:51 AM
I chose to come home to work doing this because it was a 'work life balance' option for me to REDUCE my stress level and increase my health!

I now have total control over my work environment ... my work hours, my commute, my coworkers or lack there of, my clients and what I will tolerate, my routine and schedule, the chemicals I am exposed (or not in this case) through cleaning, the food and nutrition, being able to take a break or use the facilities when I need verses when the 'clock' tells me I can and well my list could go on an on as to how my stress is reduced doing this.

The only stress I have now is the 'fluctuation' of income that being self employed entails and even that I can plan for to some extent by being proactive to keep a savings account so that when times are good and I am full I set aside $$$ for times when I have a space or if I were to get 'ill' and so forth .... the turnover and interview process are the major source of 'stress' and thankfully on average that is only once a year for a short time!

Littledragon
07-17-2012, 08:43 AM
To be honest, I'm finding this daycare business to be VERY stressful. HOWEVER, that being said, I never worked full time out of the home while being a mom. I just had my first child and chose not to go back to work. The thing I am finding most stressful about it is finding, interviewing and starting clients. I have two clients whose moms are pregnant - one leaving in October, and the other doesn't know how far long she is (so she says). I am looking to replace both these families, and one of them just started two weeks ago! On top of that, mom (the one who is pregnant and doesn't know how far long she is) is having a hard time finding a job and just told me yesterday - on monday morning! - that if she doesn't find a job within the next two weeks, she's going to have to pull her out. I've only been open "officially" for two months, and I'm having a tough time finding clients because there is so much competition in my area. But, the one week where I was full and didn't know about mom's pregnancy and job issue, it was stress free lol It's just getting clients and worrying about income that I find very difficult.

samantha3
07-17-2012, 09:57 AM
I do not find this job stressful as I feel the stress of working with everyone's different emotions goes in waves. Currently I am having a wave where the children are being really great so I am feeling bored/uninspired and feel I am constantly looking for new ideas to provoke the children's interest.

What part do you find most stressful?

I remember it took me a good year to get over dealing with parents (this is what I found most stressful) until I could just be honest and tell them how it was... and now parents do not bother me one bit :)

Dreamalittledream
07-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I found that my previous job, although mentally stressful, was more physically demanding. Now, I find by the end of the day my mind is mush. You spend all day on high alert, dealing with challenges etc. Also, although I am actually making slightly more now (fracturing in we no longer have to pay out for childcare), I do still get stressed about finances (moreso, the worry about 'what if my spaces aren't full someday), but slowly we are building up a savings account to cover that. I also had these visions of getting so much done, having a perfectly organized, immaculate home...ha ha. I actually did the first few months...but was exhausted. Now I chill during naptime, make sure the main living areas are neat and tidy & leave the rest to the weekends. As well, being home 24/7 with a demanding, busy, loud (sweet, intelligent, kind) soon to be 3 year old stresses me out; but big slobbery kisses cure that most days;)

Toregone
07-17-2012, 05:15 PM
As well, being home 24/7 with a demanding, busy, loud (sweet, intelligent, kind) soon to be 3 year old stresses me out; but big slobbery kisses cure that most days;)

wow that sounds like you're living my life! haha.

Momof4
07-17-2012, 05:15 PM
I've been doing this over 4 years now and have my daycare running like a smooth engine! Great families, great kids and great routines. There will always be problems, but if you can work with the parents to solve the little phases that all children go through you will be fine. Once you are running smoothly and your contract is being followed all you have to do is make sure you terminate anybody who makes you unhappy. Interviewing and transitioning new kids should be the most stressful parts of the job and if there is anything else that arises, fix it fast!